Modelling > Aero-space

AVRO Vulcan Ideas and Inspiration

(1/14) > >>

kitnut617:
I've got another idea forming for an advanced Avro Vulcan.  While chatting with Jeff about the possible purchase of a Vulcan kit or two, I started thinking about what I would do with them and my first thoughts were to do a Vulcan MR.1 variant.  My thinking is to attach the long underbody pannier that you find on a BAe Nimrod.  This is not too much of a problem because the fuselage diamters of a Vulcan and Nimrod are very close to being the same, 9'-3" (Vulcan) to 9'-9" although the Airfix Nimrod seems to scale out to 10'-2 1/2". Mind you 5 1/2" in 1/72 scale is very small, a tad bigger than a 1/16" so it wouldn't be noticed.

Thinking about how I would cut the pannier off one of the Nimrods I have got me to match up some parts, and as I still have the wings not attached to my Atlantic, made it that much easier.  But then I thought why bother cutting the pannier off the Nimrod when I could use the Nimrod fuselage completely, and this is why.

I'm thinking of making a Vulcan which will have the engine bays I'm planning for the Pacific version of the Atlantic, this would have CFM56 engines. And I'm thinking that I really need a bigger diameter fuselage to build a Vulcan like that, not as big as the Atlantic though which is at 12'-6" diameter.

Here's a pic of the Vulcan fan fronts that come in the Airfix kit compared to the engine fronts which will represent the CFM56's

kitnut617:
The reason why I think I need a bigger diameter fuselage is because after I draw up the new engine bay section of the wing, the inner chord profile will be bigger.

In this picture below you can see two chords, these are traced around the chord faces of the inner wings I'm attaching to the Atlantic (which will have the kit fan fronts).  What I did was very carefully measured each chord along where the kit wing halves are, I then drew in my AutoCad program a line that represents both lengths.  These I divided into equal parts and drew in some lines perpendicular to the datum line.  Carefully lining up the wing I then traced around it, now I can measure this off in the AutoCad and create an exact chord profile.  I will then space off the two lines and then join the corresponding points along each chord until I make an inner wing section in my drawing.  From here I can extend these lines to the new inner wing width that will accomodate the CFM56 fan fronts.  This will make the inner chord bigger which is why I will need a bigger fuselage.

The bottom photo is of the inner wing section as I'm using it on the Atlantic, from inner chord to outer chord it measures 1 7/16" wide, the new inner wing will measure 2" wide.  The outer chord will remain the same as this is where the outer wing attaches.

GTX_Admin:
How about some export Vulcans?  Maybe India for something different...

arc3371:
Indian is a great idea

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: arc3371 on May 05, 2012, 04:52:21 AM ---Indian is a great idea

--- End quote ---

Some of the Indian MiG-21 schemes provide an enticing option too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version