Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

Piasecki Airgeep What-If

(1/3) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
Justa teaser for the moment and a place holder. 

I should have done this last year right after I acquired the replacement 70mm fan blades for this project/concept. 

What if the Piasecki Airgeep was given a second chance?  Instead of relying on the original mechanical drive train to power the propellers/impellers.  Why not incorporate hub mounted electric motors that would be powered by a generator driven by a gas turbine? 

Attached images of the replacement 70mm fan blades and the same fan blades residing in the body of the Glencoe Models Airgeep. 

GTX_Admin:
Go for it

Dr. YoKai:
Just about a perfect fit, and visually very effective. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. (And where did you order the fan blades from?

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: Dr. YoKai on March 24, 2024, 01:32:44 AM ---Just about a perfect fit, and visually very effective. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. (And where did you order the fan blades from?
--- End quote ---
From a guy in California via e[vil]Bay. 

This is the link to the fan blades at: eBay > 0toheaven > FREEWING 70MM 12 BLADE COUNTER ROTATING EDF IMPELLER SET (2 X +2.0KG THRUST)

I ordered two sets of LH/RH blades and the price was not cheap.  I guess that was one of the main obstacles in this idea was to accept that the fan blades were going to be the expensive bit if I were to go forward with this idea. 

The fan blades include a spinner which sticks out/up so far that it is foolish to include the things and the plan now is to just cover over the top of the fan hub and call it done.  Maybe a bump or something right in the center to cover the hole and serve as a maintenance access cover or something.  Too early to tell how this is going to turn out but the idea has been grinding away at me for quite a few years now.   

***Edit to add eBay link -- jjf

LemonJello:
Those fans look really, really good.  This project is off to a good start.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version