Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

Cierva-Nemeth VSTOL, 1/35 scale

<< < (2/3) > >>

apophenia:
Looking good Frank  :smiley:  Are you still planning to enlarge the rudder?

Frank3k:
I made a larger rudder, but it doesn't follow the curves of the tail fin - it just sticks out. The original rudder looks more like a trim tab. I'm wondering if the fins at the ends of the horizontal stabilizers act as a rudder.

Dr. YoKai:
 This looks like it would have been a winner in reality. I could see it showing up in The Shadow or Doc Savage.

Frank3k:
Finished! The registration code - G-MAYT is not in use and represents MAY Twenty two (the year built). I keep reading is as "G'Day Mate", which also works. I forgot to add the "Steven Paul Nemeth Parasol wing" decal:

The pilots obviously have very poor upwards visibility. The 3D printed parasol wing is pretty heavy, but both the main landing gear and former rotor mast have held up under the weight.
I shot this on my recently re-surfaced patio. The railing is going to be painted soon, so I thought I'd make good use of the new patio surface and sunlight, while I can.

Front view with a 1/35 scale 3D print of a scanned person, from ReedOak. Not fully painted yet:

The wing is held in place with some poster putty and a square plastic rod.

I copied the Cierva Autogiro Company address from a period ad. The 22 on the rotor housing is the year I finished the model:

The tailwheel was not happy with the full weight of the model so I had to add a brass rod to support it. The rod between the flap and the fuselage actually helps keep the wing aligned.

I painted the tiny rudder/trim tab? rust red to give it some color contrast. The main wheels are from an old Monogram 1/48 Me-262. I replaced the molded brake line (?) with a thin styrene rod:

There isn't much weathering at all, since this plane would have been kept clean. For this whif, I assumed that Cierva would have tested the wing's angle of attack, especially at takeoff. I found a more recent parasol wing aircraft with a variable AoA so I guess I wasn't far off.

This has been a fun and pretty much issue-free build. The 3D printed ABS wing worked well and the MiniArt model went together very well.

Old Wombat:
Nice finish! :smiley: :smiley: 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version