Author Topic: Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse - VW of the Zombie Apocalypse - VW pic's pg.3  (Read 10158 times)

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Placeholder for my build(s).

I have pulled a number of vehicles from the stash, unfortunately they're all left-hand drive (including the three Japanese vehicles), so initial work will probably be trying to convert most of them to right-hand drive.

This PA world will have fuel & survivors who know how to get it ... for now, anyway.

The LVT(A)-1A Crocodile build is going on hold, temporarily, until I get to the weathering stage of these vehicles, when I'll do all the weathering at once ... Makes sense to me, at least.

Extremely unlikely that I'll get all of these finished before the end of the GB but I'll have a crack at it & get at least one done. ;)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 09:43:41 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 06:06:07 PM »
Interesting choices.  ;)   you seem to get much more choice in 1/35.

Forgot about quad bikes  might add one to my diorama if I can find one In 1/72 scale

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 08:45:23 PM »
You know it just has to be the combi like truck, you just know it.. I know.. admit it ;D

Bung on some plate armour around the cab and nobody will see which had drive it is.

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 09:07:12 PM »
Currently working on the bike. It's a Honda XLR 250. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 08:32:04 PM »
Got some paint down on the bike ... It ain't green! ;)

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 10:19:24 PM »
Slowly chugging along.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 01:22:15 AM »
The Tamiya motorcycle looks a lot better than the equivalent Dragon one, Did you add a face mask to the rider?

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 06:43:52 AM »
Great work there. I used the same bike in a Zombie dio, it is a really nice build, well it is Tamiya after all.
The full face helmet does look terrific

Frank, you are correct about the differences. On a broadly comparable point, I have built the Tamiya BSA and the Bronco Triumph. At 2 feet they both look good, but the Tamiya went together with a whole lot less fussing and cussing ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 08:16:09 AM »
Frank, you are correct about the differences. On a broadly comparable point, I have built the Tamiya BSA and the Bronco Triumph. At 2 feet they both look good, but the Tamiya went together with a whole lot less fussing and cussing ;)

What a surprise! Bronco/Hobbyboss can really drain the fun out of building a model. Just because they can.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza:

This is my first ever motorcycle build, so I've nothing to compare it to, but it has been quite a learning curve.

Motorcycle has been de-militarised by having some parts not fitted, while others were cut away &, obviously, not painted green.

Mod's to the rider:

Both arms have been broken & re-positioned.

Helmet has been sanded smooth & had a full-face structure added. May add a visor later.

Boots are in the process of being refined to shape.

Jacket is currently (since the photo was taken) is a big blob on the arms & torso which will be whittled & sanded & filed to shape.

Mod additions are all, so far, Aves Apoxy Sculpt.

Still thinking about load out but it will probably be the bag in the photo, another bag on the other side, a bedroll & either a backpack or a 10L Jerry can or similar.

Weapons ..... I may dig out a Kar98 & minimally mod it into a sporting rifle but he'll definitely have a boot knife & there'll probably be an axe somewhere.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 08:53:04 AM »
How about a sporterized No.4 SMLE?

:icon_fsm:

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 10:05:43 AM »
It's a great idea, Jon, & one I'd already thought of (I've even done one for one of the figures for a future Vietnam dio) but Lee Enfields of any mark are becoming hard to find here in Aus, & most modern sporting rifles use the front-locking Mauser action.

So, with a little bit of work, I can get a Kar98 to look a bit like a Sako or JP Sauer & Sohn, etc., which are readily available in gun shops (not that gun shops are all that common, either) in a range of calibres.

One of the reasons I haven't gone with a handgun is because of how ridiculously difficult they are to get here, unless he's scavenged one from the corpse of a cop/soldier. Even then ammunition will be hard to find outside of Police Stations & military bases.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 05:49:06 PM »
The bike looks stellar  :smiley:
How I dressed my version up for the Zombie dio I did.

Yes, sporty .303 are still around a bit. For my Traders build I was looking for shotguns. I have the Dragon version from the Vietnam Weapons set, but really was after more of the assault type. As far as mainstream kits goes, the Dragon SWAT/Police figures appear to have some, Live Resin to of course. Still in the maybe stage on whether to purchase or not for one build.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 10:02:50 PM »
Cheers, BT! :smiley:

True, SMLEs are still around but they're becoming much less common, though, & many of the ones that are available have the bores shot out of them, so they're effectively useless. :icon_crap:

Like what you did with your kit! I see you kept the Japanese handgun. I'm trying to keep something of a scavenged farm bike look to mine, so all the military additions are gone. ;)

I have a set of the Live Resin M1014 (Benelli M4 Super 90) Tactical Shotguns, I'll put one each of the folded stock & extended stock versions in the package coming your way soon. :smiley:

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 02:28:08 AM »
I wonder how many of the Pattern 14 that were sold throughout the Commonwealth, including
Australia, post-WWII still survive down there. I have one my Dad bought in B.C. back in the '50s,
it was sporterized when he bought it. Luckily it was only a stock shortening and he bought a
surplus standard stock in the early-'80s and I converted it back. I haven't fired it in yonks, but
it shoots very well. The Pattern 14 has a Mauser-type action.

Not mine, just an image for those unfamiliar with the type.
conspiracy.”

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 09:12:45 AM »
Don't recall ever seeing a Pattern 1914 here, Jon. ???

Doesn't mean there aren't any but I'd doubt they're even slightly common.

I was talking about it with a mate the other day & he's on the look-out for a Kar98*, apparently they're more readily available than SMLEs these days ... Weird! :-\

[*: Seems you have to be careful that their bores aren't shot out, too. I believe the shortage of SMLEs, these days, may be related to the Port Arthur Wanker's shooting spree, as there was a period when the new gun laws came out when even bolt-actions were limited to 5 rounds or less.]

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 01:52:18 AM »
Evidently most of the P14 that were issued to ANZAC troops were issued for use as sniper rifles.

Yeah, shot-out bores can be an issue in the US with '03 Springfields.
conspiracy.”

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 05:42:47 AM »
Evidently most of the P14 that were issued to ANZAC troops were issued for use as sniper rifles.

Apparently the earliest sniper rifles were designated P14(F) or Pattern 1914 MkI(F) for Fine Adjustment Sight. This was followed in 1918 by the P14(T) with an offset 3x Aldis scope.
 -- https://www.milsurps.com/enfield.php?pg=ri8.htm

Sometimes, the P14(T) is referred to as the Pattern 1914 Mk1* W (T) ... which seems kind of redundant (since all sniper conversions were based on Winchester-built rifles). The P14(T)s could also have offset PP (Periscopic Prism Co.) or BSA scopes (and there may have been other makes).

The attached image shows a B.S.A Guns Model 1918 scope mounted on a P14(T).
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 07:39:59 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on what PA would look like after the fuel runs out? And that would be pretty quickly. Horses and such would become very valuable very quickly. I've never built a model of a horse before........

Well, I should have checked as Buzzbomb’s camel powered traders is coming along nicely!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 12:42:37 PM by Kerick »

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2021, 06:02:41 PM »
My rifle:

Looks a bit like a modernish sporting rifle. Scope is a bit high but I'm not going to try & fix it ... again.

Looks better to the naked eye but that can be said of most of my builds, not very photogenic. ;)

Sliced, diced, puttied & pimped Dragon Kar98.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 06:06:08 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 11:32:13 PM »
Looks better to the naked eye but that can be said of most of my builds, not very photogenic. ;)

Looks great! Maybe the scope has an internal reticle to adjust for the extra height.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2021, 02:36:03 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on what PA would look like after the fuel runs out?...

I think Port Angeles will be fine  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2021, 03:49:07 AM »

;D ;D
Yep, we’ll just head over to Ft. Worden.  ;)
conspiracy.”

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2021, 03:50:37 AM »
Nice work Guy, definitely looks the part.  :smiley:
conspiracy.”

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2021, 03:35:08 PM »
Thanks, Jon! :smiley:

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »

;D ;D
Yep, we’ll just head over to Ft. Worden.  ;)

The world might go back to hanging horse thieves and cattle rustlers.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »
Only two bits to go! :D

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 08:43:05 PM »
The bike is done! :D

Final matt coat is drying as I type.

Should get pic's done tomorrow. :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2021, 07:08:37 AM »
 :smiley:

Looking forward to the images

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2021, 04:13:40 PM »
OK, so here are the pic's;

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2021, 04:20:33 PM »
And where is the axe you mentioned? I hear you ask;

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse - MOTORBIKE DONE
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »
Nobody's gonna mess with this guy !

Beautiful build.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »
Thanks, 'Mog! :smiley:

The axe isn't a permanent fixture but, I figure, it gives him a weapon he can use to keep the zombies beyond grabbing distance, if he can wield it well enough.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 12:55:43 AM »
Looks great! The axe reminds me of the "Lord of the Rings" quote from Gimli : "And my axe!"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 06:42:15 AM »
Great work. Really looks the part. :smiley:

Best I create a finished builds thread then ;)

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2021, 09:13:27 PM »
Build #2 has commenced.

In the process of making it RH drive, like all good vehicles should be. ;)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2021, 12:17:00 AM »
I love it! But that axe... that looks 1:1 scale. The ash wood grain is magnificent, as it the patina on the cutty part.

That bike is gonna be a wheelie machine when that Jerry is full  :smiley:

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2021, 12:02:53 AM »
Volkswagen of the Zombie Apocalypse:

OK, I'm going to be trying a few weathering & rusting techniques on this build (Hopefully I won't get too carried away! :-\), including the method posted by Frank3k (because it looks interesting & the results look awesome).

The first is a combination of blending/feathering & salt technique but first I need a primer & sub-coat of ... rust.

Sure, not much but it's a start! ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2021, 01:08:53 AM »
This is going to be good! Is this the Takom VW T3?

Online Old Wombat

Re: Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse - VW of the ZA
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2021, 09:35:15 AM »
This is going to be good! Is this the Takom VW T3?

Thanks, Frank, I hope so! :smiley:

And, yup! :smiley:

Online Old Wombat

Re: Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse - VW of the Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
Stage 2: Tamiya white primer 2nd base (slightly out of focus :-\)

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2021, 08:58:04 PM »
Stage 3: Results of salt & a light film of thinned Tamiya XF-2 Flat White.

The doors read;

DAVE JONES
BUILDER

Only a little bit worn.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2021, 09:31:32 PM »
It's.... Davy Jones' Transporter!  :icon_surprised:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2021, 09:56:16 PM »
David Jones is the most common name I could think of; I have known three David Jones' personally, several more peripherally & there is a department store with that name. ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2021, 12:07:05 AM »
Is Dave Jones Welsh? The rust looks good, especially the feathering/fading paint around the rust on the roof.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2021, 07:32:19 AM »
What ? Has Bob the Builder been taken  ;D

Looking in with much interest here, if you nail this I am having a crack as well.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
Slow going with RWS still getting in the way, & looks like doing so for another week or so. :icon_crap:

Still, there is stuff happening, even if the fit of this kit leaves a bit to be desired & I've been having to trim & fettle bits into where they should just fit. ::)

May manage to get some photo's up of progress in about a week but there's nothing happening for the next few days as, you guessed it, RWS gets in the way! :-X

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2021, 08:04:41 AM »
Could a friendly Moderator please move this to the Land forum? ???

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2021, 09:20:02 AM »
Could a friendly Moderator please move this to the Land forum? ???

As you wish.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »
Thanks, Jeff! :icon_alabanza:

I'll try to get some pic's of the (extremely) minimal progress posted soon(-ish)! ;)

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »
Does 32 days count as "soon(-ish)"? ???

Anyway, here are the progress pic's so far:

Photo Break. ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:28:26 PM by Old Wombat »

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2021, 07:14:59 PM »
Continuing on:

Still working on the body rust & had to take off the rear bumper to do some rust under it that I had forgotten to do earlier.

Before anyone gets too upset by all the rust, I did base it on a number of photo's of RW "working" T3 Transporter tray-top utes; although I will admit that there's more on this than any one of the RW examples.

Still, it is a Zombie Apocalypse vehicle; it's not like it gets stored in a garage overnight & washed & polished every other weekend. ;)

Cheers!  :icon_beer:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:29:16 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2021, 07:53:49 PM »
After years of kicking around wrecking yards, must say weathering is realistic.  :smiley:
Equipment and figures seem real too.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:29:34 PM by finsrin »

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :smiley:

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2021, 08:58:04 PM »
Everything looks great! Can't wait to see the completed dio.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2021, 09:16:43 PM »
Thanks, Ramba! :icon_alabanza:

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2021, 01:53:03 AM »
@Guy/Old Wombat - Great work so far both inside and out and that includes your figures too.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2021, 08:10:47 AM »
Looks rusty - make sure those great looking figures have their tetanus shots...

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »
Great paint job mate, looking forward to the finished product.  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2021, 07:00:27 PM »
Thanks, Claymore! Really appreciate your feedback! :icon_alabanza:

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2021, 01:19:29 AM »
Man, has this build dragged on, or what!? :-\

Anyway, it's 3:45am here & I've finally finished the VW T3 Transporter (base still needs to be done), so there should be photo's tomor ... later today! ;)

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2021, 08:36:26 AM »
Here we go! Photo's of the (finally) finished vehicle! :smiley:

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2021, 08:39:50 AM »

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2021, 08:45:54 AM »

I think it looks better in the plastic, the yellows (especially in the rust) seem to have been enhanced it the photo's.

Still, not too shabby! ;)

I hope to have a completed dio base done soon but I have to tidy the work bench first. :-X

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2021, 04:00:12 AM »
Terrific job! The weathering looks great!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2021, 05:44:13 AM »
This looks well worn, but still ready to keep going.  Nicely done!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2021, 06:04:51 AM »
looks great! The rust looks good and so does the gear. Is that a sheet of plywood they're carrying?

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2021, 06:15:27 AM »
  Is that a sheet of plywood they're carrying?

If you've checked the price of plywood over the last few months, can you only imagine what it'll be worth in Mad Max Times????????????????

Pure.
Laminated.
Gold.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2021, 08:23:29 AM »
Thank you all very much, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Is that a sheet of plywood they're carrying?

Yep! :smiley: Actually, there are two sheets of ply* (one is under the Marston mat panels), a sheet of cement fibre board & a sheet of steel, three wood planks, copper, galvanised & poly pipe, & a steel I/H beam.

[*: I really like how these came out, considering they're painted styrene sheet.]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 08:25:07 AM by Old Wombat »