Author Topic: Bachem Natter - a real What If  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Faust

• The man from the Sprue Lagoon...a natural here!
    • The Sprue Lagoon
Bachem Natter - a real What If
« on: October 28, 2021, 09:10:55 AM »
When they say “Truth is stranger than fiction”, sometimes, they aren’t kidding! The desperate last days of WWII in Germany saw any and all ideas for defence of the Reich at least given consideration, no matter how outlandish they were. That some of these ideas were greenlighted, and even made it to the flying stage, says a lot about the state of Germany’s science and politics in the early-middle ‘40s.

One of the weirder and more dangerous vehicles to make the leap from napkin to launchpad was the Bachem Ba-349, or BP-20, “Natter”. A vertically-launched, tiny, rocket-propelled point-defence interceptor, it was the original “missile with a man in it”. Not surprisingly, there are a lot of kits of this weird contraption, and one of the newer ones is the Brengun model in 1/72. This comes in a bunch of realistic and “What-If” flavours. The one I opted for was Mustermaschine M23, which is the first, and only, Natter to launch with a human pilot on board.

So, while this isn't quite a "What If", it's really close, and I thought I'd share it anyways!

Check out this neat little kit at the link below, and tell me what you think: Red or Black for the underside?

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/brengun-1-72-bp-20-natter-mustermaschine-m23/

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:16:05 AM by Faust »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Bachem Natter - a real What If
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 01:55:14 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Bachem Natter - a real What If
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 02:29:49 PM »
As the Natter was meant to be a "Defence of the Reich" weapon system, I'd go with red, as that was used on other DotR aircraft.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."