Author Topic: The Curtiss YPF-36 Fast Pursuit - A Hillbilly Tale in 1/72 scale  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Curtiss YPF-36 Fast Pursuit - A Hillbilly Tale in 1/72 scale
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:23:20 AM »

The Curtiss P-36 has become one of the truly iconic aircraft of the late inter-war and early-war period.

While the U.S. Army Air Corps was pleased to have such a modern aircraft in service, they still sought improvement. Curtiss was approached to tweak their Hawk for enhanced performance gained through greater streamlining.

Thus the Curtiss YPF-36 was born. The Y designated the aircraft as an off-budget expenditure and the PF stood for the new "Pursuit, Fast" or Fast Pursuit program both Curtiss and the Air Corps hoped would lead to a new era in air defense.

Modified with a new, more streamlined canopy and prop spinner, the first (and only) service-test batch of YPF-36s was delivered to elements of the 21st Pursuit Squadron in the summer of 1937. This would be fortunate timing indeed.

At that time, the U.S. was in the throes of a bootleg crisis. America was awash in white lightning which was controlled by violent, criminal gangs. One of the worst of these was led by Ol' Jed in the hills of Kentucky.

By the summer of 1937, these thugs were out of control. Local sheriffs and even Federal Revenue Dept. agents had almost given up. A call for help went out and was answered by units of the 21st Pursuit Sqn.

Aerial reconnaissance and interdiction were seen as the sensible, modern approach but it wasn't without controversy.

Thus the pilots of the 21st and their YPF-36s began patrolling rural Kentucky. They were given special camouflage for the mission that would be barely recorded as Kentucky Bluegrass Scheme No. 3, making these some of the first P-36s to don warpaint.

Long hours were logged and many sorties flown as the 21st kept a weather eye peeled for the wily criminal moonshiners. For a time, it seemed Ol' Jed and his confederates had eluded the authorities.

Finally one morning an innocent-sounding report of smoke possibly from an untended campfire roused the pilots of T flight and they quickly arrived over the scene.

Two YPF-36s peeled off and buzzed the source of the smoke. Rousted, Ol' Jed raised his shotgun and took aim.

As Ol' Jed only had two barrels and the YPF-36s had 12 rapid-fire machine guns between them with another 60 waiting upstairs, it was over very quickly. Ol' Jed and his hard-bitten gang surrendered and were taken into custody once government agents showed up on the ground.

Unfortunately the YPF-36 would be out of service before Ol' Jed was out of the pen. That cutting-edge, pointy prop spinner caused long term cooling and ventilation issues which made the engine consume its own vitals. The Air Corps scrapped both the Fast Pursuit program and all remaining YPF-36s.

As for Ol' Jed, well he was eventually released, but there is only anecdotal evidence of his activities afterwards.

While the hapless YPF-36 was fast for its day, it's now practically unknown among aircraft historians and modelers. The only reminder of this once-proud pursuit is a one-off, possibly apocryphal conversion set rumored to be sold under the table at select IPMS meetings.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:47:55 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: The Curtiss YPF-36 Fast Pursuit - A Hillbilly Tale in 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 05:32:48 AM »
*laughs hilariously*  Another fascinating and enjoyable journey into forgotten history and little-known aircraft.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:57:39 AM »
This all began with a classic 1/72 Monogram P-36 (your box art may vary):

While playing a long game of Guess What Fits with my collection of spare canopies, I discovered that the rakish one from a Hasegawa P-40E worked like a charm.

This fast appearance was further enhanced by swapping out the kit prop for a pointy one from an Airfix P-40.

This is a kit I picked up wicked cheap and unfortunately, the previous owner borked it all up by chopping and re-attaching the forward fuselage cowl pieces backwards. This couldn't be undone without more of a commitment than I wanted to make, so I went with it.

While a backwards oil-cooler inlet might be a poor engineering decision, it made the cowling just a bit sleeker. Every little bit helps, right?

Besides using a P-40 canopy & prop, the only other mods were swapping the landing gear with a retracted set from an Academy P-40 and adding an antenna made from a Heller P-39 control column.

The model was painted with the old hairy stick and acrylics, Polly Scale Depot "Olive" (yeah, right)...

...and Model Masters Duck Egg Blue mostly.

The canopy was tinted with Testors Gold and Gunmetal was used on the guns and engine. Prop blades were painted Aluminum. Decals were a mix from the kit  and the 21st Sqn. insignia/codes came from a sheet by Starfighter.

This was not only a test of different canopies, but of new paint too. I grabbed a pot of this Poly Scale color called Depot Olive dubiously enough. Online it actually looked like OD, but as you can see, it's a bit too green in the flesh.

I had a blast building this model which took five days from start to finish.

I hope you enjoyed the YPF-36 and the forgotten story of Ol' Jed.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:35:17 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 06:06:09 AM »
Somewhat of a YP-60C resemblance:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 06:39:58 AM »
Somewhat of a YP-60C resemblance:

Spot on as always, Mr GTX! The YPF-36 is like an ugly, older sister of the YP-60C.

That YP-60 is very eye-catching. May need to consider this one...

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
Ominous war clouds news from Europe likely overshadowed moonshiner reporting.  Explaining why YPF-36 and its service slipped by as next to unknown.  Only a dedicated deep digging aviation historian such as BdB would find it. :)
Appreciate the pictures with descriptions.  If Curtiss had turned oil cooler 180 degrees, the heating problem might have been noticeably reduced.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:57:11 PM by finsrin »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »
Good improvement, congratulations! Curtiss should have given you a contract/reward!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 03:04:26 AM »
Poor Mr. Drysdales. He never got to taste Granny's "Tennessee Tranquilizer"!

Your backstories Brian have me bend over if fits of laughter.

Don't stop.

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 04:30:50 AM »
Its amazing that you can change into a whole new look with just a different prop and canopy. Unbelievable  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher