Author Topic: The Douglas DC-3MJ - An Air Mail Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Douglas DC-3MJ - An Air Mail Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »

Despite a rigorous PR campaign...

...the 1950 Holiday shipping season...

...was a complete disaster.

By Spring, many Christmas packages still had yet to be delivered.

The new Postmaster-General, one Josephus J. Cobb, was not going to take this lying down.

He determined the cause of the mailing bottleneck was slow, overloaded aircraft. Clearly more power and speed were needed, but the Korean conflict meant aircraft production was at capacity.

Fortunately, there were plenty of venerable Douglas C-47s available. Adding surplus Lockheed J34 Third Class Pre-Sorted jet engines created a fast, powerful high-performance cargo aircraft and thus the USPS DC-3MJ (Mail Jet) was born.

The prototype showed great promise in flight tests, making a record run from Pine Barrens, New Jersey to Mountain Top, Pennsylvania delivering a cargo of holiday Leers mail-order catalogs. Re-painted in "new look" USPS livery, the DC-3MJ was certainly eye-catching.

The new mail plane wasn't just fast and able to haul huge loads, but it was the first aircraft in postal service with true all-weather capability. Taking the postal credo of "Neither rain, sleet, snow, fog nor dark of night" to heart, the DC-3MJ was equipped with WXNR-IV weather and navigation radar, the dish being housed in a fairing beneath the nose.

The DC-3MJ originally came to national prominence after a photo spread in Look magazine. The public imagined great fleets of new mail jets darkening the skies as lowly mail carriers completed their appointed rounds on the ground below, fortified by timely, regular air-mail flights.

Unfortunately, scandal would be the DC-3MJ's main claim to fame and prevent this almost-great aircraft from ever reaching service in any numbers.

A mysterious woman was at the center of all this, a sultry femme fatale whose name has been since lost to history.

Rumors swirled fast and thick that the new DC-3MJ hadn't been made to help deliver holiday parcels, but the Postmaster-General's mail bride instead.

After it became known that only one DC-3MJ (the original prototype) would be in service for the 1951 Christmas mailing season, Congressional hearings were called in an attempt to get to the bottom of it all. The Postmaster-General flew in to testify before the Postal Oversight Committee.

Initially, it looked like Postmaster-General Cobb would survive the inquiry. Press reports gave reason for hope.

The Postal Oversight Committee grilled Cobb for days and additional witnesses were called and mountains of evidence (primarily love letters from the Dead Letter Office) were read into the record.

Despite arguing that he'd paid proper postage on his mail bride, the tide turned and the Postmaster-General was eventually found guilty of perpetrating "vast waste, fraud and abuse". He was summarily dismissed from his postal post pending the outcome of Federal criminal prosecution.

In the end, Cobb was convicted and spent the better part of 1952 as a guest of the Bureau of Prisons in the cooler at their Bird's Eye, Indiana facility.

The DC-3MJ was quietly retired and donated to the Smithjonesian Postal Museum of Air Mail Flight where it was displayed just across from a rack of post cards for sale at the museum gift shop.

To this day, keen observers who look up while visiting the Smithjonesian will marvel at the graceful beauty & implied speed of the DC-3MJ and wonder if this odd prop-jet hybrid was more science fiction than aviation fact.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:03:00 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: The Douglas DC-3MJ - An Air Mail Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:35:01 AM »
Very attractive model and most interesting backstory; another gem from you on both counts.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »
This all began when a venerable box-scale (1/87 I think) Monogram AC-47 "Puff the Magic Dragon" gunship arrived in a care package (many thanks again, hamsterman!). Isn't that box art great? I can almost hear those Gatlings and smell the cordite...

Besides being fairly basic and perfect for "The Treatment", another thing I really liked about this kit was the unusual scale. While a 1/72 C-47 might be a bit large for me to work on comfortably, this smaller version is perfect for my limited hobby space. I like it so much, I tracked down another one for the princely sum of $12, postage paid.

Initially, I tossed around a few ideas, but then I discovered some 1/72 Me-262 jets were a pretty nice fit.

I was tempted to just chop out the part of the wing with the radial engines and make this a pure jet, but then I remembered many of you are fans of mixed propulsion, and this kit seemed an ideal candidate. So it was off to work on the various power plants.

...even if some of it was built more with an eye towards ease instead of accuracy...

However, the jets, even though they were uncomplicated in the extreme, went together like a charm.

They even attached to the wings without a fight. No putty was needed once I did a little trimming.

Next were the props...

and then the nose cone and radar blister which was swiped from a B-36.

Next I inserted the cabin windows (tinted in Feldgrau) and buttoned up the fuselage.

The last mod was leaving off the kit wing tips and adding resin 1/72 T-33 tip tanks courtesy of Quick Boost I got on sale a while back. I like to imagine they carry the kerosene and are piped directly to the jet engines.

One thing I almost forgot was that huge hole where a bunch of guns are supposed to go. I took the cave-man route and just slapped some card in back, braced with sprue. Little squares of card were used to cover some of the rear windows. This is the airborne mail sorting room/mail bride love nest.

While the Big Door Hole Fix sorta worked, I think next go-round, I'll try sticking the card over top to see if that's a better look. As to the plates covering the windows, I saw photos of this as a field modification for C-47s on duty at Ft. Benning from my dad's collection of war mementos.

After all this, it was off to the paint shop with the old hairy stick. Polly Scale Undercoat Gray acrylic was used overall with tail and nose detail done with Polly Scale Prussian Blue.

The front to the WXNR-IV radar pod was painted in Model masters Gloss Black. The intakes of the jets were done in Model Masters Aluminum and the rear ends in Jet Exhaust. Here's a detail shot showing off that critical weather and navigation radar pod.

The radial engines which you can almost see were finished in Model Masters Gunmetal and the prop blades in Dark Gray with tips tipped in Insignia Yellow. Exhaust pipes from those radial engines were painted in Deck Brown.

Decals were mostly from a sheet for a 1/144 Minicraft USPS 727, but the registration numbers are from a Boeing 314 flying boat.

Those Minicraft decals were quite challenging and I feel lucky I got them to work as well as they did. While the bold bald eagles on the tail went on with no trouble, the U.S. Postal Service lettering folded up on me many times and only careful application of warm water, patience and Kentucky bourbon saved the day.

I hope you don't mind a few more pictures. I got lucky and took these on the last day it might be 70 and sunny here for a while.

If you had to send a vital holiday parcel, I bet you wish this would be the aircraft called to deliver it.

I know I do, but despite numerous letters, the U.S. Postal Service continues to deny the existence of the DC-3MJ regardless of the overwhelming evidence on display at the Smithjonesian Postal Museum of Air Mail Flight.

I guess I shouldn't take it personally. Chaos would probably ensue if postal customers could choose their own mail delivery vehicle.

I had a blast building this model, which took about 10 days because work was getting in the way.

I hope you enjoyed the USPS DC-3MJ and reading a little more overlooked Air Mail aviation history.

Please remember to mail early for the holidays. Your Postal Route Carrier will thank you!

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:30:12 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »
It is the perfect build. It has props, jets and tip tanks. What more do you need?  :)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:47:42 PM »
I am glad that - thanks to this model - I met the fastest Dakota in the World (in all Worlds, I mean) :-*
or... will the next step be a supersonic Dakota? ??? ;)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:11:22 PM »
Looks great but where are the spats!? :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 03:03:30 AM »
Looks awesome, Brian! It might also work as a weather plane/hurricane chaser.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
Definitely cutting edge 50s modernized DC-3.  Combo of jets, T-33 tip tanks, radome set it far apart from typical DC-3.  USPS used perfect paint scheme.
Yet another government scandal.  But airmail postage was paid, so what's the big deal ?

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »
A sick mind is a terrible thing to waste. Dude, you got no waste! I liked the old Post Office posters.

Adios, Larry.
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline JayBee

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 01:35:19 AM »
Looks great but where are the spats!? :o

My thoughts exactly.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!