Author Topic: The Curtisseversky YP-356N - A Moth(er) of a Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Curtisseversky YP-356N - A Moth(er) of a Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: November 10, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »

The Great Depression was terrible for the U.S. aircraft industry. Some companies went under. Like many others, the firms of Curtiss and Seversky were also facing grave difficulties.

Conditions forced a merger which should be remembered not only for the aircraft that came out of it, but for one of the more impressive feats of corporate branding yet seen.

The upside was the new company now possessed the concepts and design methodologies from both of the old firms. As events would prove, the total would be greater than a mere sum of the parts.

The YP-356 of 1936 was but one example, a melding of the best both the Curtiss P-36 and Seversky P-35 had to offer with a couple of important changes.

The prototype pursuit was powered by a new DB (Duesenberg) 1356 V-12 inline engine.

Switching from radial to inline engines was a sea change for the U.S. Army Air Corps, but the enhanced performance the 1356 h.p. DB (Duesenberg) 1356 V-12 offered was too good to ignore.

The engine wasn't the only revolutionary thing about the YP-356. A cutting-edge perspex canopy offering excellent all-around view was also added. Test pilots were universal in their praise for the greater power and visibility the new aircraft afforded.

However, due to a bureaucratic screw-up, the service test squadron of YP-356s was ordered modified for the night pursuit role. What this meant in practice is that two large spotlights were added under the wings so the pilot could see what he was shooting at in the dark. Thus the Curtisseversky YP-356N (night) pursuit was born.

Heavily armed with two 24 m.m. cannons in the wings and two .30 cal. m.g.s synchronized to fire through the propeller, the new night pursuit was a formidable aircraft. As things unfolded, the timing of all this would be fortunate indeed.

Just as the night service test squadron took on their new YP-356Ns, strange incidents involving a bizarre creature were reported in Point Pleasant, West Virginia.

The Night Flight of the 17th Pursuit Sqn. was sent to a forward base just outside of Follansbee, West Virginia tasked with hunting down the strange moth-human hybrid. The Air Corps was seen as ideal for this task and pursuits that could operate at night were critical as the Mothman was known to take flight after dark.

While many more sightings and strange incidents involving this nocturnal creature were reported, the 17th Night Flight was stymied in their efforts tracking down the cause of all the excitement. Countless sorties were flown to little effect.

The panic was turned up a notch when Mothman sightings were reported in Washington state early the following year.

Would America be safe from the ravages of this paleo-zoologic monstrosity?

Oddly enough, reports of Mothman sightings dropped off to zilch after the start of the war in Europe. The half-moth, half-man would be largely forgotten until a reappearance some 30 years later.

The 17th Night Flight was eventually reassigned to other duties and their aircraft replaced by more modern types on the eve of U.S. entry into Wold War II.

While the Curtisseversky YP-356N has been almost completely forgotten today, the same cannot be said for the iconic Mothman whose legacy still lives on.

Still, for one, brief, moonlit moment, the Curtisseversky YP-356N guarded the West Virginia night sky.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:25:39 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Curtisseversky YP-356N - A Moth(er) of a Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 07:13:40 AM »
This all started with a classic 1/72 Supermodel Reggiane Re-2001. Isn't that box art just great?

This one really takes me back. I probably last built this kit 40 years ago, and for the era it was well detailed and of an exotic subject almost unknown to suburban U.S. modelers in the late 1970s. Of course, some surgery would be required. Off with its head (rest)!

Your eyes aren't playing tricks, that headrest was re-purposed as another air intake.

The reason is because the kit under-wing intakes were just asking to be squirreled away for later...

As luck would have it, I had a P-38 canopy going spare which fit like a charm and a set of rudder stripes for a Lockheed Vega which almost fit like a charm.

While getting all this together, I found it impossible to ignore the idea of adding under wing lights and turning this baby into a night fighter. Odd bits of clear and not-clear sprue were cut, sanded and drafted into service.

At this point, I decided P-36 brass collectors were a better choice than the original kit gun fairings.

Well, maybe not better but perhaps more appropriate for a proud, Curtisseversky product.

After this, it was off to the paint shop.

The increasingly archaic old hairy stick was used along with Model Masters acrylics, OD and Flat Black, mostly. Testors Gold was used on the canopy and Model Masters Gunmetal on the guns (natch) with Aluminum (or 'Aluminium' if you prefer) for the prop blades. The exhausts were finished in Carrier Deck Brown with more Flat Black dry brushed over top.

Decals were a mix. The deliberately mis-matched nose & tail numbers are actually for a Special Hobby P-35. The star-and-meatball markings were from an ever-dwindling sheet by Eagle Strike.

As mentioned before, the rudder stripes are for a Lockheed Vega. Those fictitious 17th Night Flight squadron markings are actually Belgian insignia. Since both the real 17th squadron and my unit used owls as mascots, it seemed to work for me.

Here's a few shots of what Mothman might have seen if the YP-356Ns had ever found him.

I had a blast building this model which took me about a week from start to finish.

Unfortunately life got in the way and kept me from photographing and posting this model for a while.

Maybe a few extra shots will make up for it.

I hope you enjoyed the Curtisseversky YP-356N and reading a little more obscured aircraft history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:14:58 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 01:21:03 PM »
How cute! :-*
Thanks for the explanations - I was very wrong, telling myself "yes this is obviously of Curtiss source but which model exactly?"...

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 02:54:55 AM »
I agree with Tophe, although I thought this was a P-35 with an ex-Bf109 engine up front. Nice work Brian! I love the vision you have - seeing something and being able to turn it into something completely different with a few small adjustments.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 05:03:31 AM »
Agree with Tophe and KiwiZac.
Is a convincing as a USAAC Curtisseversky. :)
Thanks for revealing another niche of history. 

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:31:45 AM »
Mothra approves of this build Brian!

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 06:56:32 AM »
I love how the cockpit sits up high!
Great story too!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »
After the YP-356N came the P-356Z: ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:22:55 PM »
After the YP-356N came the P-356Z: ;)

You've definitely taken my concept to the next level, mon ami! Looks even better zwilliged like that!

Tipping my hat to your boundless imagination,

Brian da Basher

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 04:00:59 AM »
 Yet another Brilliant Brian Build, and an equally good story too. I don't know how you do it.  :)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.