Author Topic: A stripy Bf110  (Read 3245 times)

pyro-manic

A stripy Bf110
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:00:08 AM »
Here is a very long-running build of mine. I put most of this model together about three years ago, but it languished for a long time. But here she is, finished and crossed off the list. The kit is the old, but not too shabby, Revell Bf110E in 1:72.

Messerschmitt Bf110E-1, Schweizer Flugwaffe, 1949 by pyro-manic, on Flickr

This aircraft was originally a German machine, but came into Swiss possession when it flew over the Swiss border in bad weather and landed at Dübendorf in late 1942. The aircraft was seized and the crew interned briefly; they were later returned to Germany though the aircraft was kept for evaluation purposes - the Swiss had tried to buy Bf110s in the late 1930s, but was rebuffed by Germany.

The aircraft had an underwhelming career with the Swiss - it received a bright colour scheme with the distinctive red and white striped ID bars, and was put through it's paces by test pilots. The main aim was to compare the big Messerschmitt to the Swiss-developed C-36 multi-role aircraft then entering production. It was found that the Bf110 outperformed the C-36 in speed, range, firepower and useful load, though it was less manoeuverable. Nonetheless, as a single aircraft it was not put into frontline service. It was intended to convert the machine into a fast transport/liaison role, but before this could be done a hard landing caused significant damage. With the end of hostilities, the plane languished in storage for many years before ending up on display at the Fleiger Flab Museum at Dübendorf. She is seen here as she was in storage in 1949.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
Re: A stripy Bf110
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
She looks great! :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:06:34 PM »
Very nice
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
 :) :) :)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »

pyro-manic

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 12:01:40 AM »
Thanks all. Nice profiles, Logan - I'm sure I must've seen them at the time you posted them, though I can't remember. It's a good looking scheme, isn't it? I think this build was inspired by a profile that Maverick did some years ago, though again I can't remember for sure and I can't find said profile (usually I save them in my "ideas" folder). I'm tempted to do a Spit 14 or maybe even a P-47 in a similar scheme.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »
Tidy that ! Nice to see a different scheme from the normal too...   :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:45:45 AM »
You're doggone right that's none too shabby! I'd say it's outstanding in every sense of the word!

Brian da Basher

pyro-manic

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 05:27:37 AM »
Thanks guys - glad it's gone down well. :)