Author Topic: AIRSHIPS.....  (Read 3523 times)

Offline TerryCampion

• Be careful asking for his photos…he might send them to you!
  • Radish by a new moniker
AIRSHIPS.....
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
Just thinking.....

Airships....got a plan and will be building one very soon....just need to drink another bottle of squash :icon_fsm:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: AIRSHIPS.....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »
Looked inside the Moebius Skipjack SSN kit yesterday.  Perfect for an airship and all of the extra bits can go to other projects.  The price is the only issue that will keep it from coming home with most of us.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »
Combat Models do a number of 1/72 submarine vacuforms which don't cost an arm and a leg;

http://www.combatmodels.us/

Offline aerospacer

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:51:50 PM »
They also offer a USN L-Class Blimp in 1/72.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:26:50 AM »
Combat Models do a number of 1/72 submarine vacuforms which don't cost an arm and a leg;

http://www.combatmodels.us/

Had parts of the Combat Models Skipjack acquired from a collection of kits and parts from another modeler that is no longer with us and was quite impressed with the size of the hull and realizing I had no space for it at the time since I was in college at the time.  When thinking about it later, I realize now how easily that Skipjack could have been converted to an airship.  Lament mode on "if only I had not binned the parts."  Though the kit was incomplete, it had potential but I was without the resources to support such a project.  :(

They also offer a USN L-Class Blimp in 1/72.

Martin

Is this from Combat Models or another company?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:41:06 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:08:04 AM »
I'm actually going to be attempting a 1/144 cardmodel of the WWI German L13 at some point in the future... if I can find the links to download it again that may give you guys some raw material too.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »
The emaciated R-100 is getting its ghastly sags filled with Magic Scuplt as it progresses to a 1/48 single person steampunk ish airship.  It may be Nukepunk rather than steam, but that's beside the point.    And yes, the Skipjack would make for an excellent starter point.   :)
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »
Free cardmodels from Ralph Currell including airships:
http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about