Modelling > Maritime Patrol GB

Les Autres ASW d'Apophenia

(1/3) > >>

apophenia:
Apophenia's Other ASWs

"How your mind hops about!"  ... I was trying to come up with categories for GB entries but have gone totally generic instead   :P

This one spun off of Robert's observation of the similar shapes of the Dash 7 and Shin Meiwa PS-1 and US-2. I don't think that an actual, styrene scale-o-rama would work. But pixels are a bit more flexible   :smiley:

apophenia:
Inspired, in part, by MAT's Super Hansa project, I went off on a derivative of the Saab S 17BS with twin engines. In my mind's eye it would be a looker. In reality? A mutt!

In any case, I present the Saab L 27 which would enter Flygvapnet service as the S 27A (Spaning = Reconnaissance). The L 27 was powered by two imported 470 hp Piaggio P.VII C.35 7-cylinder radials. [1] Other than reinforcement for those wing-mounted Piaggio Stellas and an extended nose, the airframe was essentially the same as that of the single-engined L 17.

[1] These engines had been secured for a planned Caproni Ca.310 purchase (which was eclipsed by the Delta-engined Ca.313). The surplus Piaggio engines would also be used on the Sk14A trainer - the Swedish built North American NA-31.

GTX_Admin:
I like the Saab

apophenia:
Thanks Greg.

I'm wondering if moving the cockpit forward wasn't a mistake. A new, glazed nose simply attached to the original cockpit might have looked a bit more pugnacious?

Frank3k:
The nose reminds me of the Bristol Blenheim Mk.I, with the Saab glazed section behind it. The nose position looks good - look at the Beaufighter .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version