Author Topic: Rescue squad  (Read 11106 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Rescue squad
« on: August 10, 2021, 08:49:57 PM »
Hi all

Wasn't Intending to compete in this group build but I saw the attached when watching a Glastonbury documentry a few weeks back and that started a brain worm.

The finished kit will not look much like the original,   but the influence is there.

I had a Whirlwind (well a Revell Chickasaw really) without its glazing which was a shoe in for this and gradually bit by bit the brain worm kept adding ideas and suggestions until I had a whole diorama planned.

Now while  its unlikely I will complete the diorama in time I'm going to try and finish the star vehicle ( yes a vehicle not an aircraft ! More scope for 'gubbins' ) in the time given. This in turn may be reduced as my mum is going in for a knee replacement, nevertheless I will do my best to finish on time.

Just a taster,  more detail and a sort of back story later.........

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:27:36 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Rescue squad
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 10:07:24 PM »
This looks like it could be fun! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 07:04:36 AM »
That's the spirit  :smiley:

Great inspiration image

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 11:46:15 AM »
Oh I do like the looks of this  :smiley: :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Robomog

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 09:13:42 AM »
Hi all

Not going to be much of a back story.

Basically the worst happens leaving man kind struggling to survive, a remote RAF supply depot is largely spared a direct hit but is devastated by a couple of remote near misses. Those below ground survive. Above ground most buildings are damaged some destroyed. Most of their transport is destroyed or damaged. All communications are lost, they are on there own.

They have enough  food and water for now and an abundant supply of fuel, they realise realise that there maybe a lot of people wandering in the wilderness or starving in villages, they need people to rebuild civilisation.

That's when the Rescue Squads were born each unit consisting a large  supply vehicle with a varying number of motorbikes that would venture into the wilderness to find people and bring them back.

The transport situation was dire, there were plenty of bikes to be found but supply vehicles such as large lorries or crew buses were in very short supply and so the mechanics descended on scrap heaps  and collected all things mechanical to construct something large enough to support a rescue squad...........

And so construction begins.

I have amassed probably the largest selection of parts of any project so far

by Robomog, on Flickr

Essentially this vehicle will be constructed from a disused shell of a Whirlind helicopter devoid of engine, gearbox and associated equipment which will be married to a diesel engine, wheels and transmission taken from the scrap heap. All unwanted equipment is stripped out, the tail is cut off and all the spaces behind the last bulkhead converted to storage. The area that contained the gearbox behind the cockpit will be have a lift up cover or will be deleted altogether to make way for an equipment rack.

More when it happens........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 05:24:37 AM »
Hi all

As this is going to be a diorama (eventually) the first thing I need to do is cut out the  areas that will be doors so that I can pose the scene of unloading and preparing for a search. The existing door will be shown open. A second door has been cut in the opposite side. The area over the rotor gearbox has been removed as I said before this may be discarded to make way for an equipment rack or hinged to make a cover.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Doors have been cut in the rear equipment bay area and another door will be cut to fill the hole where the tail was removed.

Unfortunately exposing all this interior means I'll have to detail said interior somewhat which you can see on the top half of the body shell. I will also have to construct some sort of racking to hold some of the gubbins.

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 05:50:32 AM »
This is a great idea. Te interior ribbing looks good! Are you going to put the engine in the nose, like in the real helicopter?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 05:53:20 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Robomog

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »
Yep the engine will be in the nose, a reasonable amount of room with the big radial gone and easy to get at with the doors open. (Although you wont see it, the front clamshells are staying shut)

Will probably do a drive chain to the rear wheels, I'm still trying to sort out the suspension and steering  :-\

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 01:21:08 PM »
People have put other helicopter fuselages on truck frames to make a sort of camper like vehicle so why not this? Looks cool!

Offline Robomog

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 11:10:11 PM »
Hi all

Completed all the framing detail, the cockpit is next then onto the internal detail before closing up.

by Robomog, on Flickr

Mum has just had her knee op so all systems stop at the moment but I should be back at the workbench soon.

More when it happens..........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 02:04:10 AM »
Looking good! And such a cool concept  :smiley:

... Mum has just had her knee op so all systems stop at the moment but I should be back at the workbench soon...

Hope the post-op goes well  :D

People have put other helicopter fuselages on truck frames to make a sort of camper like vehicle so why not this? Looks cool!

Yep ...

Offline Robomog

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 05:42:44 AM »
Thanks Apophenia,  cool pic

Funnily enough I have just found a chassis that will fit under the helicopter body, from a AEC  Matador I think.

I was originally going to use a dune buggy style of suspension but I realised it wouldn't be much of a load carrier. Using a lorry chassis will give it some rigidity and be a stronger structure to hang everything off of

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:52:40 PM by Robomog »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 07:21:17 AM »
Nice work so far.

Right in the spirit of things :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 04:12:04 PM »
Great work, 'mog! :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2021, 02:30:41 AM »
... Using a lorry chassis will give it some rigidity and be a stronger structure to hang everything off of ...

Good call Mog. Lorry or bus frame is the way to go. Your AEC  Matador chassis sounds ideal  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2021, 03:21:28 AM »
I’ve got a 1/48th CH-53 kit I bought on sale because someone started it and returned it to the store. Might just work for this sort of thing. Hmmmmm……
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:43:49 AM by Kerick »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2021, 03:33:55 AM »
I’ve got a 1/48th CH-56 kit I bought on sale because someone started it and returned it to the store. Might just work for this sort of thing. Hmmmmm……

Which kit is that?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2021, 04:17:33 AM »
I’ve got a 1/48th CH-56 kit I bought on sale because someone started it and returned it to the store. Might just work for this sort of thing. Hmmmmm……

Is that a S-56 (CH-37) Mojave   ???

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2021, 04:32:59 AM »
It’s the Navy Sea Stallion. Not the latest version. Not sure what kit as I’m on vacation and not able to check. Perhaps stalemates might help. Let me check.

Update:
Major brain fart. CH-53 Sea Stallion. Probably Revell.
Someone started painting some of the small parts but the fuselage and rotors are fine. Nothing that couldn’t be removed. We’ll see what happens next.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:48:29 AM by Kerick »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2021, 01:49:23 AM »
No problem.  For second there I was hoping you somehow found a 1/48 AH-56 kit...

Offline Kerick

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2021, 11:35:35 AM »
Now that would be something!
I would like to find a replacement bulged canopy for the 1/72 scale ones I got from Atlantis.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
Nice work on the interior detail.  :smiley:

<....> I would like to find a replacement bulged canopy for the 1/72 scale ones I got from Atlantis.

Didn't Anigrand do a 1/72 resi. Cheyenne? I believe they always had an option where you could get additional vac-form canopies for very reasonable amounts of money.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Robomog

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
Hi all

My mum is amazing she is really pushing to get back on her feet again and we have to make sure she doesn't push it too much, so good news.

Also managed to get some bench time in woo hoo !

by Robomog, on Flickr

As you can see I have painted and weathered the internal components, adapted the cockpit for road travel and manufactured the rear storage shelves so I'm almost ready to start assembling.

On the down side I fumbled one of the rear doors, didn't catch it in my lap, heard it click on the floor and it was gone ! 

How can you loose a component nearly 1cm square !  god knows where it bounced too but i cant find it so I'm going to have to devise a less elegant solution to the rear doors........  baa humbug !

More when it happens........

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:02:06 AM by Robomog »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 11:20:14 AM »
Start looking for something else and then you’ll find that part!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »

Don't bet on it, though! ::)

I've lost bigger bits & they're still AWOL. :icon_crap:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 01:39:06 AM »

Yup. Either that or perpetually projecting positivity at the parts pixies  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2021, 08:58:39 AM »
Hi all

Found a bit more workbench time,  I have installed all the bulkheads and floors together with the new rear floor and shelf but I'm not closing the fuselage shell just yet as I am waiting for my order for assorted 1/72 boxes to arrive so that I can detail the insides

So onto the chassis and bike trailer while I am waiting.

The rescue squad will consist of the converted whirlwind as a mobile control centre with two or three motor bikes and a couple of push bikes. These will be towed to the search area and the act as scouts.

For the trailer I am butchering a Queen Mary trailer, shortening it to fit two motor bikes and two push bikes  any other bikes will have to travel under their own power  ::)

Here's the initial butchering

by Robomog, on Flickr

The chassis for the Whirlwind is from an AEC Matador (I think) with axles and wheels from the RAF recovery set.

Here's a quick proof of concept.............

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

It seems to work quite well, the trailer will need a little levelling but as you can see by the figure in the foreground the Whirlwind is sitting a  bit higher than I envisaged  :-\

Gonna need to devise a hoist of some sort and some ramps and ladders (the usual sort of problems from a half arsed poorly planned project  !  ;) ;D)

Thanks for looking..............

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
That's looking really good! I love the tires. The driver definitely has good visibility!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »
'Mog, have you thought about shortening the truck frame, cutting out a suitably sized rectangle in the bottom of the helo & dropping it down onto the frame (so the frame supports the cargo deck)? ???

You may need to have the front wheels back a bit, so the front hatches can open properly, but I think it would work & look pretty good. ;)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2021, 03:30:33 PM »
Helicopter becomes vehicle is fabulous concept. 8)   Great t see it take form.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »
 Thanks for the comments guys

OW - your right i need to shorten the chassis  a couple of scale feet and i will probably let the chassis into the fuselage up to the axels. The fuel tanks are under the deck so i want to leave a bit of space there.

This does work in my favour, there is a large hole at the bottom of the fuselage which i can widen and then "plate over" when the chassis is installed it saves me some PSR .

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 05:02:52 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2021, 02:48:45 AM »
Looking good

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2021, 06:13:06 AM »
Really like where this going.

Great work :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2021, 11:39:55 AM »
Me too. This is excellent!

Good idea for shortening the chassis and 'channeling' it. It'll look even more business-like  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2021, 08:49:36 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for the comments.

Nearly at the point when I can close the fuselage, been doing the  internal detailing and discovered that some of it will be invisible when the fuselage is complete ( but I know it's there  ::))

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

I think Old Wombat must be psychic, shortened the chassis successfully then cut the bottom of the fuselage to accommodate it and by the time I'd finished the chassis was on the underneath of the deck !  Gonna need to redo the fuel tanks  :-\

Here's the cut out.........

by Robomog, on Flickr

And a nice snug fit.....

by Robomog, on Flickr

Looks good and doesn't tower over the figures quite so much....

by Robomog, on Flickr

Still haven't found the errant back door so next job to build some new ones.

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2021, 03:30:29 PM »
I think Old Wombat must be psychic, shortened the chassis successfully then cut the bottom of the fuselage to accommodate it and by the time I'd finished the chassis was on the underneath of the deck ! 

Just made sense; put the load-bearing deck on the load-bearing chassis. ;)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2021, 07:07:31 AM »
That little tweak gave it a whole better look, more "engineered"
Like the interior work as well

Offline apophenia

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2021, 10:04:11 AM »
It does indeed ... and the interior look great  :smiley:

... Still haven't found the errant back door so next job to build some new ones...

I'm wondering if you really need a back door. Maybe just leave it open?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »
I agree - just put some netting in place of the door, so all the cool interior bits can be seen.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2021, 11:50:55 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I'm going to go with metal doors but fear not they will be displayed open on the diorama, in fact all the doors will be open. So most of the detail will be seen. Work is in progress on those as we speak also the top storage area and rear platform. More photos later.

I have progressed on the chassis.....

by Robomog, on Flickr

The fuel tanks has been added and a rudimentary drive shaft, just some steering rods and the exhaust to do and it's ready for painting.

More when it happens......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2021, 06:40:11 AM »
 Pretty nifty - I wouldn't try taking the corners too fast, but at least you'll see the zombies coming a ways off!

Offline Robomog

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2021, 07:56:37 AM »
Quite right, definately not built for speed  ;)   but a good load carrier

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline finsrin

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2021, 08:14:34 AM »
Interior fit out is tops.  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2021, 07:39:54 PM »
Thanks guys

This update is a bit delayed as my Tablet PC decided to commit suicide so I'm having to do this on my phone.

The back doors are complete.

by Robomog, on Flickr

And also the top storage area, the rear deck just needs some handrails.

by Robomog, on Flickr

I've also started work on the mesh protection around the cockpit and the trailer and motorbikes.

More pictures of them soon.........

The deadline is approaching and so much to do, each element is a small build in itself !

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2021, 11:00:36 PM »
Yup, that looks good! 8)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2021, 03:07:00 AM »
Nice! And love the add-on racks  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2021, 06:45:53 AM »
Like it a lot.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2021, 06:06:45 AM »
Thanks again  guys

Not quite 300 UK sqids later I'm doing my posts on the tablet PC again.

Manage to get some serious work bench time in so progress has improved. I'm hoping to finish before the deadline but I may need some extra time to finish off.

As the premis for this build is marrying the shell of an abandoned helicopter to a discarded lorry chassis it follows that the finish will be far from pristine. I have done very little weathering on my newer builds so the finish of this one will be an interesting learning curve.

There's lots of weathering advice on the net but most is for airbrushes  I've settled on a technique of painting a base coat of dull aluminium then dotting this with Maskol, I will then paint over this and rub it off when dry

Here's the helicopter prior to painting........

by Robomog, on Flickr

Complete with Maskol dabbing

I've started work on the motor bikes and bicycles starting with attaching panniers and packs. Each bike will also have a rifle on the front forks.

by Robomog, on Flickr

So current progress is..........

by Robomog, on Flickr

The helicopter has its first coats of paint, the top carrier and rear deck are complete and are going through the weathering process. The trailer is virtually complete it just needs a wheel at the front for ground handling.

To start, a small overhead crane to aid loading/unloading the top carrier, mesh frame around the cockpit

To source, side ladders, headlights,  searchlight.

More when it happens..

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2021, 07:47:46 AM »
Looking good Mog!  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2021, 01:00:32 AM »
At first glance I thought you were adding wings... ;D

Offline Robomog

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2021, 01:06:22 AM »
Hi all,

Big step forward, the whirlwind decor is complete and I have to say the weathering has turned out pretty good. After rubbing down to get rid of the maskol I have treated it with a black wash to tone everything down.

by Robomog, on Flickr

Just the crane and some final tweaks to do, then add the cargo.

The bikes are also complete, just the rifles to add...

by Robomog, on Flickr

The bases will be removed when they are installed on the trailer.

They won't be staying there as they will be re-posed (is that a word?) On the diorama. I will open a second thread to continue this tale after the Group Build has finished

No pics but the trailer has its towing eye and front ground handling wheel.  I seem to have misplaced the rear door but I have a plan B if it doesn't turn up

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:42:15 AM by Robomog »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2021, 02:55:48 AM »
The weathering looks like it came out great! Are you going to weather the tires as well?

Offline Robomog

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2021, 08:43:10 AM »
Im not sure what form the diorama terrain will take so i may just give them a gray wash on the tread area for the moment so they dont look quite so pristine  ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2021, 10:26:09 AM »
This looking great  :smiley:

Are there going to be fenders? I was guessing not ... in which case, there'd be some epic roostertails of road grime and mud from those front tires. (I'm thinking that the bulk of the spattering would land on the fuselage sides just aft of the doors.)

Offline Robomog

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2021, 05:44:03 PM »
Thx

Yep there will be no mudguards and  there will be be some sort mud or splatter it will depend on the terrain when I do the diorama   :))

I'm going to leave it as is for now ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2021, 08:59:28 PM »
Thx

Yep there will be no mudguards and  there will be be some sort mud or splatter it will depend on the terrain when I do the diorama   :))

I'm going to leave it as is for now ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Being a dirt bike rider I got to know that mud flies into the most unexpected places, with the front wheels turned like you have it, don't forget to have globs of mud all in the cabin and all over everything that's in the cabin   ;) ;) ;) know what I mean!

Offline Robomog

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2021, 03:02:28 AM »
Know where you coming from  ;D  it's not a fast vehicle so don't envisage massive spray but it's definitely something I'll watch for in the diorama  ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2021, 06:28:44 AM »
This really looking like the business

Offline Robomog

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2021, 06:51:10 PM »
Hi all

Not quite finished.  The final model will have all its doors open and be loaded out. But first I would like to show it with all the doors closed in rest mode if you will.

I've tacked all the doors in with PVA temporarily for the photographs.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

That missing back door never turned up...........
by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

And now the trailer .........

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/54032744@N08/]Robomog, on Flickr

Currently putting together all the cargo,

by Robomog, on Flickr

Which is in addition to the first paint run of cargo..........
by Robomog, on Flickr

Not all of this will be loaded onto the whirlwind, much of it will be scattered around the diorama.

Finished model soon......

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2021, 07:59:03 PM »
That just looks so right! 8)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »
Outstanding!!!

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2021, 09:35:09 PM »
Very impressive work  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2021, 11:42:08 PM »
That looks great! The weathering is very effective. The gear looks good, too.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2021, 04:05:15 AM »
That looks dead impressive! Nice work, Mog  :smiley:

That looks great! The weathering is very effective. The gear looks good, too.

It does/is  8)  But what are those lowermost bits of gear in the last photo?

Offline Robomog

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2021, 04:52:56 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated

Apophenia:- the lower most bits in the last photo are canvas wraps,  they are installed over the door/window on each side of the whirlwind. They become awnings when camp is set up

Hope this helps

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2021, 05:14:48 AM »
Apologies guys forgot to publish top and bottom shots.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Final pics soon....

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline finsrin

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2021, 11:11:19 AM »
Creative repurposing concept.  Never would thought of metal bar mesh, is so fitting.  Weathering looks right.  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2021, 03:06:37 AM »
Thanks Finsrin.

And now we have the finished article....

First the whirlwind .......

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

And now a fully loaded trailer........

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Please note the lack of tieing down straps, I couldn't find a way of producing anything that looked remotely convincing. Something to sort out later. ::)

And both together.....

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

And that's me done ....   for now.

I have some RW things pressing but I will start Rescue Squad part 2 - The Diorama soon .

As always all comments and criticisms gratefully accepted.

Thanks for looking...........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2021, 03:55:58 AM »
Me Likey, Lots . . .   :smiley:   :smiley:
Just a teeny wee thing . . . I would swap the bikes around to have one of each on each row, that way if you need a motorbike quick, you don't have to move the pushbikes first . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2021, 06:01:45 AM »
Just a teeny wee thing . . . I would swap the bikes around to have one of each on each row, that way if you need a motorbike quick, you don't have to move the pushbikes first . . .
"Shift the Camira to move the Torana, to get to the  the Commodore " Type of thing ;D (non aussies may not get the reference, from a very funny, very Australian Film called The Castle)

Mog, fantastic work, that came out so well and really looks the part

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »
That still looks so right! Great work, 'Mog! 8)

It looks like something you might have seen in one of the first Mad Max movies (ie: 1 or 2). ;)

Tamiya tape makes good webbing tie-down straps, just have to get (or cut to) the right width. :smiley:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 10:35:12 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2021, 09:13:30 PM »
JMN mode on:   

Tie downs, the bikes need tie downs -----  :o  (if you've ever had a bike jump out of a trailer ---- don't ask me how I know)

JMN mode off:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2021, 10:35:59 PM »
Another fine example of why following the instructions will not get you anywhere fun.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2021, 03:09:32 AM »
That came out great! The weathering looks fantastic and so does the gear.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2021, 08:23:14 PM »
Thanks guys all suggestions duly noted  ;) ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »
Excellent work Mog!! That looks fantastic ... but in a totally believable way  ;)

"Shift the Camira to move the Torana, to get to the  the Commodore " Type of thing ;D (non aussies may not get the reference, from a very funny, very Australian Film called The Castle)...

;D ;D  Some non-Aussies get the reference straight away! Our (quite rare here) DVD of The Castle is a priced possession. If we didn't watch that DVD again and again, it'd be going straight into the display cabinet in the pool room  ;)

Offline Robomog

« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2021, 04:42:36 AM »
Thanks apophenia

I must admit I didn't get the reference but I can make an educated guess   ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2021, 05:29:45 AM »
Catch The Castle if you can, Mog! Not only is it a hilarious film, it is also a dead-clever bit of socio-political parody  :smiley:

Thanks apophenia

I must admit I didn't get the reference but I can make an educated guess   ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline finsrin

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »
Did slow step by step review of build.   Concept, parts used, weathering --- all creative & super  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2021, 01:46:08 AM »
Thanks finsrin

Given this is not  my usual genre or subject I'm very pleased with the result, it was fun to do something different and off the beaten track.  ;) :D

Talking of beaten tracks look out for Rescue Squad - The Diorama coming to a forum near you after Xmas  :o

Mog
>^-.-^<