Author Topic: MiG-1 Bubble Top  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
MiG-1 Bubble Top
« on: October 18, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »

The MiG-1 is just barely known as the aircraft that spawned the more famous MiG-3.

Even less well-remembered is another aircraft that came from the MiG-1, a bubble-topped prototype.

Sporting a new perspex canopy that offered excellent pilot visibility from above and behind, this MiG-1 also featured a better streamlined engine installation along with a more aerodynamic belly cooling intake.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't be enough to meet the demands of the high-performance engine and over-heating would be a constant gremlin that was never adequately resolved.

The lone MiG-1 bubble top was assigned to protect Archangel from a sneak night bombing attack. It was hoped the cold, subarctic climate would make engine cooling issues less of a concern. The fact that no enemy ever bombed Archangel by night during the time the MiG-1 bubble top was deployed there is indeed a testament to the potency of this fast, high-altitude fighter.

The MiG-1 bubble top was doomed to ignominy not only by it's engine cooling issues but also by the enormous expense of that perspex canopy. While the canopy did indeed improve pilot vision above and in back, nothing could be done to improve the forward view due to the MiG's long nose.

No more MiG-1 bubble tops were ever built and all that remains of this once proud prototype is this overly-optimistic recognition model which was found incongruously enough at a Guelph, Ontario garage sale where it was bought for the princely sum of one Looney.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:44:53 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: MiG-1 Bubble Top
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:57:53 PM »
This all started a while back when a box arrived from Mr Gimper up in the Great White North. Inside was a lovely little MiG-3 model which was unloved because it was missing the canopy. Well, I've never let an absence of critical parts stop me before and it sure wasn't going to stop me now, especially once I realized how nice a P-40 drop-tank half looked as a replacement.

One of the side oil-cooler intakes was also missing and this led me to squirreling away those engine parts that remained for future use. Bits of sprue made the shrouded exhausts.

A plastic straw was cut to shape as a new belly cooling tunnel.

I was surprised how well this kludge worked.

The new canopy sits on top of some clear blister-pack cut to cover the hole. Plastic shims and putty were added underneath to blend it into the fuselage.

After this, it was off to the paint shop.

As there was only one viable color scheme, the old hairy stick was loaded up with a lot of Model Masters Flat Black acrylic. The canopy was done in Jet exhaust.

The decals were all spares and almost all of those lovely white-bordered red stars shattered a bit and I had to re-paint the white tips by hand. That was fun.

It only took me three days to build this model and once the canopy work was done, everything else was pretty seamless. I have no idea of the maker, but the plastic reminded me of some eastern-bloc kits I saw after the Berlin Wall fell. Still, the tolerances were pretty good for a kit of such provenance.

Before I forget, here's a couple of "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale).

I'd like to thank Mr Gimper for his kindness in sending me this cool little model. I couldn't have done it without you!

I'd also like to thank Mr Jello for bravely moderating this GB and those of you playing along or just taking a look.

Brian da Basher

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
Another beautiful bash by BdB!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:46:02 AM »
Another superior design that was clearly too advanced for the times! You bring great credit on your design bureau, Comarade da Basher.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:47:55 AM »
Lovely !
Alex

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 03:23:51 AM »

Looking at this photo makes me also think of a race version with flush canopy similar to below:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:34:18 AM »
very nice

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
AAH,,, improved air combat visibility for our illustrious flying comrades.