Modelling > Second Korean War GB

McDonnell Douglas AV-8X Harrier III

<< < (2/5) > >>

The Big Gimper:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on May 26, 2018, 02:23:19 AM ---Be interesting to see your take on it.  I've seen some of McDD's concepts and I am sorely tempted to try and model one with radar.

--- End quote ---

You are 1/3rd of the way there Evan!  I have two more upgrades. You can sign my NDA if you want.  ;)

elmayerle:
Sure, why not?  I'm just a simple, old, retired engineer these days. ;)

kitnut617:
You could use an F-18 nose for a radar version. This below would pretty much fit right onto a Harrier

The Big Gimper:
In the RW there is the Harrier II Plus which has an APG-65 radar. It is based on the Night Attack variant.

The FA2 has Blue Vixen Pulse-Doppler radar and the AIM-120 AMRAAM missile.

Since I have neither kit in the stash I will improvise.

elmayerle:
I have at least one AV-8B+ in the stash along with a spare Sea Harrier FA.2 radome and my Harrier FG.11 is going to have that radome with the Blue Vixen radar replacing the AN/APG-65(V) radar of the AV-8B+.

In addition to the fuselage changes McDD proposed for the Harrier III (and Pegasus, heart of the Harrier details those in passing and they match rough pictures I have), I will be adding the trialed wingtip Sidewinder, or equivalent, rails and perhaps add mitered rear nozzles, too.  Internal, and unseen changes would include an uprated Pegasus (the referenced book makes it clear that further uprating was still possible) as well as a variant of the Super Hornet's AESA radar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version