Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

Logan's Profiles - 8x8 Scimitar

<< < (165/165)

ChernayaAkula:
Came across these while looking for something completely different, but thought they'd fit here as well.

Ratel in Rwandan service sporting a BPU-1 turret armed with a 14.5mm KPVT heavy machine gun.

SOURCE

Another Rwandan Ratel"special", this time sporting a Ukrainian BAU-23X2 turret with a twin 23mm cannon and a 7.62mm PKT machine gun.

SOURCE

GTX_Admin:
 :smiley:

dy031101:

--- Quote from: Logan Hartke on August 01, 2021, 12:01:37 PM ---The T-34-85s the Ratel 85 was designed to counter were largely gone from the battlefield, replaced by the T-54/55 and T-62, against which the Ratel 85 was almost useless.
--- End quote ---

I seem to recall that Yugoslavia made a 85mm HEAT shell based on the experience of test firing all of their tank and anti-tank guns at a T-54.

Although I wonder if it'll still be simpler logistically to stick with the Ratel 90 than to import those shells......?  That and, as you laid out, the Rooikat and Ratel ZT3.

Logan Hartke:

--- Quote from: ChernayaAkula on August 17, 2021, 09:34:41 AM ---Came across these while looking for something completely different, but thought they'd fit here as well.

Ratel in Rwandan service sporting a BPU-1 turret armed with a 14.5mm KPVT heavy machine gun.

SOURCE

--- End quote ---
I was familiar with the twin 23mm variant and I think that would work well. I haven't seen the Ratel with the 14.5mm BPU-1 turret, though. That's neat and it reminds me of Yemen's AMLs with the same turret (which would have worked with the Eland, though I can't see much use for it).

The Oryx Handbook of Pre-war Yemeni Fighting Vehicles

I think a Ratel with a 14.5mm gun would at least be an upgrade over the normal command variant with 12.7mm MG without the bulk of the normal 20mm variant.

--- Quote from: dy031101 on August 27, 2021, 03:49:35 AM ---I seem to recall that Yugoslavia made a 85mm HEAT shell based on the experience of test firing all of their tank and anti-tank guns at a T-54.

Although I wonder if it'll still be simpler logistically to stick with the Ratel 90 than to import those shells......?  That and, as you laid out, the Rooikat and Ratel ZT3.

--- End quote ---

Well, it's likely that South Africa would have either captured or been able to purchase Soviet-manufacture BK-2M HEAT-FS rounds, which could penetrate ~300 mm of armor, very similar to the 90mm HEAT round used by Eland and Ratel 90s.

Overall, though, the T-34-85 turret is at least a three-man turret versus the two-man turret on the normal Eland and Ratel 90, so you should get faster target acquisition and rate of fire in addition to the greatly increased armor, and ammunition availability in the field.

I'm not saying it would have been practical or worth developing, but it would have at least been interesting.

Cheers,

Logan

Logan Hartke:
Inspired by ysi's 8-wheeled Scorpion, I took my own crack at the concept.

I chose a smaller chassis, the YP-408, from closer to the time period of the CVR(T) family and scaled the turret to match, including a turret ring extension that considers the angled upper hull.

This would be a Dutch variant in place of the M113 C&V (also known as the Lynx or M113 ½). It would increase commonality with the Belgian and British armies and provide greater speed, strategic mobility, and firepower, albeit at the cost of greater size.

Also, I chose the Scimitar turret which I think is better fit and much better looking, but the Scorpion is still an option, too.

I'm calling it the YP-408 Pantserwiel Verkenning, abbreviated as YP-408 PWVK. I don't know about anybody else, but I like the looks of it more than the Bundeswehr's Spähpanzer Luchs of the same era.

Cheers,

Logan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version