Author Topic: Frog Tempest saved from ignominy  (Read 1438 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Frog Tempest saved from ignominy
« on: January 17, 2022, 08:55:00 AM »
Had this one for years, one elevator missing. I threw it together roughly so that I could use it as a test article for paints and finishes, etc., never got around to using it for that. But going through my decal stash for something else a sheet appeared, and seemed to beg to be used. It's the USAAF markings for the Pioneer 2 Spitfire VC Tropical, so the Tempest has been dragged from the scrapheap and awaits work. A new elevator has been scratched from an old wing section, not perfect but close enough for me. I'll sand down those huge raised panel lines, probably won't pull off the gear doors that I glued in the closed position. Desert camo will be applied as per the Spit they were supposed to go on.

by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Frog Tempest saved from ignominy
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 09:24:39 AM »
I’m sure I built on of those once! Looking forward to seeing more!

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 12:07:15 PM »
"dragged from the scrapheap and awaits work"

Yeah, baby.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 05:10:39 AM »
Nice one.
Did this example come with the clear disk "spinning prop" as some releases of the kit did ?

Offline The Rat

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 05:44:18 AM »
Nice one.
Did this example come with the clear disk "spinning prop" as some releases of the kit did ?

It did indeedy! I won't be using it though.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Good Luck On The Build...
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »
...Never built any Tempest models, owned later issue 1/72nd Revell H-620 Hawker Tempest V kit till November 2015 as part of 623-plus piece never-build collection. Still remember eyeing original 1962 Tempest issue on sale at Lakewood, CA Thrifty Drug Store stacked with other Revell original 1/72nd offerings that year next to Testors styrene tube glues, thick as raw crude PLA enamels & non-plastic paint brushes (latter not yet marketed), more interest to me then were Aurora, Glencoe & Renwal kits though did buy & build the classic Revell B-25 Mitchell kit in 1961, hung it from bedroom ceiling lamp a short while.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 12:12:30 PM »
Work all done with the hairy stick, decaling begun. Future under placement areas, flat coat will be brushed when they're all on. To test the decal quality I experimented with one of the tiny serial numbers first; Dissolve-O-Rama! So after a couple of coats of decal film I dared try again; success.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 07:05:26 AM »
Anyone who's built the Frog Tempest may remember the rocket rails. There are 2 pins on each one, and 2 corresponding holes on the rockets. Well, one of the pins on an outside rail was either broken off or short-shot, so, what to do? Okay, move the rocket forward to put the front pin in the rear hole, glue the fin to the rail to keep it straight, and make some smoke from a Q-tip head glued to it and teased out. Watch out, Rommel, there's a kaboom with your name on it headed your way.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 08:03:08 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 05:53:52 PM »
Good solution. Gives the model a bit of whizz  ;D