Author Topic: Cal Fire RQ-7B UAV (1/35)  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Cal Fire RQ-7B UAV (1/35)
« on: July 03, 2022, 08:20:20 AM »
I decided to build the Academy 1/35 U.S. ARMY RQ-7B UAV. The model went together fairly well (the main gear struts are delicate) but once it was finished and in a coat of gray, I was underwhelmed with the marking choices.

Living in California, fire season starts in July.  I wondered what if the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection AKA CAL FIRE borrowed some RQ-7B UAVs for fire spotting; after all, it has an IR camera. CAL FIRE aircraft are white and red, but maybe a UAV would need high viz markings, especially if it's on a trial basis.

I used a 50:50 mix of Vallejo fluorescent orange and Vallejo orange. Most fluorescent paints are a PITA to work with, so i thought mixing it with orange would both tone it down slightly and make it easier to work with.

I was going to add a CAL FIRE decal, but it didn't print properly - so it only has the text and a California flag on the tail:

The underside is similar:

The decals in this kit are thick and laugh at setting solutions - the prop warning decal (barely visible in these pictures) eventually soften with some Solvaset. I still had to brush on Future, wait for it to dry and sand off the protruding edges.

The side view, with the year and date as the serial number:

The main change from a standard RQ-7B is the metal vs wood prop.

With a figure, for scale:

I used Tamiya interference film for the camera's optical window:

The effect is easier to see in this picture:

The kit comes with two figures, but they seem to have been sculpted by the Trumpeter figure department, which is  - as we know - composed of extra-terrestrials with only a rudimentary understanding of the human form. They don't fit well and don't look good when put together. Some of the body parts may be usable when mixed and matched with better figures.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
Re: Cal Fire RQ-7B UAV (1/35)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 10:07:17 AM »
Perfect

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 01:13:27 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 08:03:33 AM »
Did you get better cover using the orange 50/50  mix ?,  the  finish looks good in the photos.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 09:26:50 AM »
Thanks guys. Mog - I didn't even try spraying the fluorescent orange at 100% - I didn't want to risk it. Mixing it with the orange came out OK, with the only drawback that it isn't "fluorescent "

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 09:47:20 AM »
Thanks guys. Mog - I didn't even try spraying the fluorescent orange at 100% - I didn't want to risk it. Mixing it with the orange came out OK, with the only drawback that it isn't "fluorescent "
It looks good Frank.  As for the paint not being fluorescent enough, blame it on the long hours the UAV has spent in the air exposed to the sunshine :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 09:02:48 PM »
Very impressive  Frank  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 01:34:51 AM »
Thanks, guys. Other than the landing gear, it was a quick little project.

Nice...
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 02:54:52 AM »
Live in "El DoDo" (El Dorado) County, CAL FIRE Station 2 miles south of me; busy last dozen-plus years they'd be buzzing over all kind'a aircraft, Martin JRM "Hawaii Mars" flying over my folks former house occasionally. No major fires so far; coolest early July last 20 years, comfortable Independence Day, sad hearing about the Highland Park, IL parade massacre :(

Online LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 08:59:45 PM »
This is a little slice of perfection.  Nicely done!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 12:34:07 AM »
A neat build, and hopefully prophetic-drones like this could be tremendously useful in firefighting.