Author Topic: Japan '46 - Imperial Japanese Army Type 94 Tankette - FINISHED  (Read 3072 times)

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...

Imperial Japanese Army Type 94 Tankette

The Type 94 tankette  was a tankette used by the Imperial Japanese Army in the Second Sino-Japanese War, at Nomonhan against the Soviet Union, and in World War II. Although tankettes were often used as ammunition tractors, and for general infantry support, they were designed for reconnaissance, and not for direct combat. The lightweight Type 94 proved effective in China as the Chinese Nationalist Army offered only limited opposition.
As with nearly all tankettes built in the 1920s and 1930s, they were only lightly armed, and had thin armour that could be penetrated by machine gun fire at moderate ranges.
 The design of the Type 94 began in 1932. Development was then given to Tokyo Gas and Electric Industry (later known as Hino Motors) in 1933, and an experimental model was completed in 1934. It was a small light tracked vehicle with a turret armed with one machine gun. For cargo transportation it pulled an ammunition trailer.
The hull of the Type 94 was of riveted and welded construction, with a front-mounted engine with the driver to the right. The engine was air-cooled, developing 35hp at 2,500 rpm. The commander stood in a small unpowered turret at the rear of the hull, armed with a 6.5mm machine gun. A large door in the rear of the hull gave access to a storage compartment.
With the start of World War II, a number of Type 94s were issued to each Japanese infantry division in the Pacific theatre, with a tracked trailer. They saw action in Burma, the Netherlands East Indies, the Philippines and on a number of islands in the South Pacific Mandate. Some were also assigned to Imperial Japanese Navy Land Forces.
Following the August Coup, the  Imperial Japanese Army began to make preparations for the anticipated US invasion of the Home Islands. Although all of the equipment in the Pacific and South East Asia regions had been lost, there was still materiel available in Manchukuo. Accordingly, the IJA began to strip the Kwantung Army of anything usable, including the decent quantity of Type 94 tankettes still in operation there. Although thoroughly obsolete as a weapon, they still had some use during any amphibious landings.
Assuming that the first enemy troops ashore would consist of of unsupported infantry, the idea was to use the Type 94s as a terror weapon, charging down on the newly landed enemy troops, and killing and wounding as many as possible with machine gun fire. If US casualties were high enough, it might disrupt the landings, and cause them to be delayed, postponed, or abandoned. In any case, the number of troops landing would be reduced, making the enemy's task more difficult.
As a final, nasty shock, the Type 94s were to be packed with explosives. Once their mission was ended, either by running out of ammunition, or by being immobilised, the commander was to detonate the explosives, blowing the tankette apart like a giant grenade . . .

cheers,
Robin.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 04:52:00 AM by robunos »
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Japan '46 - Imperial Japanese Army Type 94 Tankette
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 02:39:57 AM »
Interesting and logical back story.

I just looked up the 1/72 IBG kit (which I assume is what you're going to use) - they could easily fit four tanks in the box!

Offline robunos

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 04:40:25 AM »
Interesting and logical back story.

I just looked up the 1/72 IBG kit (which I assume is what you're going to use) - they could easily fit four tanks in the box!

Beat me to it, was going to post this in my next post . . .   ;D

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »
 :smiley:
I can hear the echo's from the cavernous box from here

Offline robunos

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 02:39:56 AM »
I'm sure it's a game, 'Guess Which Corner of the Box the Kit Parts are Hiding In?' . . .   ;D

cheers,
Robin.

Offline robunos

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 02:41:16 AM »

Okay . . . let's make a start on this.
Here's the box top,

we've already seen the parts in the box, here are the runners,

and the decals, PE and instructions.

Here we go, starting with the tracks. Small parts . . .

and even smaller parts.

Did I say these parts were small ?? Tracks done, left on the runner for painting.

On to the hull now. Lots of slide moulded parts in this kit.

And it was all going so well. I'd assembled the suspension, and moved on to the driver's cab. There's a tiny piece that makes the left side of the cab . . . and I lost it !

Swept up, vacuumed, even moved the furniture. Gone.

No choice but to scratch a replacement. I found a small piece of scrap, attached it,

and when dry, trimmed it to shape.

There's some detail missing, but it will have to do . . .
That's All For Now, Stay Tuned . . .

cheers,
Robin.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:43:23 AM by robunos »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 06:58:50 AM »
I can imagine how tiny this is in 1/72. Working out ok so far :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 05:57:24 PM »
I swear I've worked with 1/35 track links that were bigger than those tracks! :o

Don't worry, I've lost parts 20 times bigger than that. :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
Good save on the missing part; I'm sure you'll find it after the tank is finished. The Type 94 has a 35hp engine - there are cheap(ish) motorcycles that have 2x-3x more horsepower!

Offline robunos

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 03:02:48 AM »

Okay . . .
Progress!

Painting underway . . .

That's All For Now, Stay Tuned . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »
And more progress being a good thing! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 10:32:30 PM »
 Woo! That's RED! (And Rad. I suspect the camo on this is going to be pretty stunning.)

Offline robunos

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 04:51:34 AM »

Sorry, no rad camo, just Red . . .

As an expendable vehicle, and owing to the  grevious shortage of materials, anything considered non-essential, such as radios, tools, exhaust covers, etc., was omitted from the tanks. Likewise, the only paint used was a coat of red oxide, primarily as a recognition marking under the  'Chi no Nami' (waves of blood) battle plan.
 Under this plan, friendly forces were to carry red markings. Anything not marked in red was to be considered a target and attacked without mercy.
Thus prepared, on the night before the expected invasion, under cover of darkness, the tankettes were arranged in formation on the beach, ready for the coming battle . . .

Type 94 tankette, Imperial Japanese Army, Operation  'Chi no Nami' (waves of blood), Southern Kyushu, spring 1946.

More pictures to follow in the Gallery.

That's All, Folks . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Old Wombat

Re: Japan '46 - Imperial Japanese Army Type 94 Tankette - FINISHED
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 09:35:28 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »
Nice! I like your red oxide theme  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 10:17:23 AM »
Thus prepared, on the night before the expected invasion, under cover of darkness, the tankettes were arranged in formation on the beach, ready for the coming battle . . .

Pre-rusted for your convenience! It could have acted as a form of subterfuge - a line of "rusted" tanks on the beach could have just been barriers or tank traps.

This was a tiny tank! The average Japanese soldier in WWII was 5 feet 3" tall - and these soldiers looked huge in comparison.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 09:49:19 PM »
 That came out very nice.