Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 129993 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2021, 10:56:44 PM »
The missiles might need a little work:

Yeah, the missiles need a lot of work but I don't plan on using them. The missile launchers on my kit will be shown in the stowed position.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2021, 10:58:16 PM »
Good  mod to go to stowed. Changes the look quite a bit

Thanks! Yeah, I like the look in the stowed position. It wasn't that difficult to modify. You just need references to see how it sits when stowed.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2021, 11:00:47 PM »
It does look better with the launcher stowed. That Skif kit looks like it'll need a lot of extra surface details to look like the real article.

Thanks! Yes, the Skif kits lacks tons of upper hull details. I compared the Skif kit to the real thing and to the Trumpeter kit and the Skif kit is basically an empty canvas. I don't do model contests so mine isn't going to be a contest winner so wasn't worth it for me to spend the extra money on the Eduard PE set. It will be OOB for me.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2021, 11:06:13 PM »
Small update. I started adding the PE but I glued in some plastic parts over the driver's and commander's forward view ports before I put the PE parts on so I had to scratch build those parts from plastic card. Also, a lot more parts were short shot. All the pegs on the missile warning systems were missing so I had to cut some plastic rod for them. The two PE racks had PE pegs/supports but I lost a couple so again, I cut some plastic rod for the pegs/supports.

Here is the kit supplied PE fret. This PE was much easier to use than the one in the Skif 2S1 kit.

Here is where I am so far, only two PE parts used so far but you can see the white plastic parts I used for the short shot parts and for the front view ports.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2021, 03:47:57 PM »
Overcoming problems & chugging along nicely, Ramba! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2021, 10:08:52 PM »
Overcoming problems & chugging along nicely, Ramba! :smiley:

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2021, 10:12:36 PM »
Got more of the PE on. The headlight assembly was a real pain. I must have knocked them off at least half a dozen times and I added them last.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2021, 07:03:28 AM »
The PE really adds to the model!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2021, 10:41:41 PM »
The PE really adds to the model!

The PE does make a difference but will eventually be covered with paint. Even with the PE on though, the upper/side hull is still a blank canvass. So much detail missing.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2021, 10:45:17 PM »
In the photos I posted on Friday I noticed  forgot to add the front PE fenders so finally got them on. I also added a resin PK machine gun as I lost the kit supplied one. The kit PK gun was way oversized anyway if I remember correctly. I posed a figure in these photos just for the heck of it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2021, 01:20:36 AM »
I have Tomas/Thomas* the Tanker, whose sole purpose is as a 1/35 scaling figure.

[*: I dunno, I've used both spellings over the years.]
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2021, 11:50:16 PM »
I finally got a few kits primed now that the weather is starting to get nicer. I used spray can primer. Not everything got complete primer coverage as the spray cans can't get into every nook and cranny so some bare spots are visible. Most of those bare spots will get covered when I do the camo paint with the airbrush. Some of those bare spots are also because I ran out of primer. I just need to get them camo painted now. Only one of those I got to prime the wheels and it was for the Chinese PLA 6x6. The other ones I never got to prime the wheels because I ran out or primer.

Hobby Boss PLA PTL-02 convered to what if using the SP Designs Shkval turret.

Academy Merkava Mk. III also converted to a what if. I used the 105mm gun and armor blocks from the ESCI M60 IDF Blazer kit.

Skif 2S1.

Skif Strela. I knocked off some of the PE while handling it when priming and some of the PE parts were lost. I can only paint outside so the parts are now out in the great wilderness.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2021, 07:29:15 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2021, 10:42:37 PM »
Got another one primed a few days ago.

Hobby Boss 1/35 Leopard 2 A5/A6.

My kit was warped. I put a piece of plastic strip inside the hull so you can see how warped it was. I had to clamp the hull together after gluing to hold in place.

It also had a few fit problems and small gaps. You can see that the parts didn't align with the pre marked cut outs. Some small gaps can also be seen.

The lower part of the turret hit the upper hull because the lower hull sagged. I glued in a plastic strip to raise the hull so the turret doesn't hit the upper hull anymore. First photo shows the turret hitting the upper hull. Third photo shows a nice gap now and the turret doesn't hit the upper hull anymore.

I used some Tamiya putty to fill in the gaps.

Overall view after all the filling and sanding completed.

Now in primer.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2021, 11:40:34 PM »
I ended up with a pair of the HobbyBoss Canadian Leopard II kits several years ago after a friend purchased the kits and used the slat anti-rpg bar armor for a different project.  The price was 'right' so I did not hesitate as I was not interested in the bar armor feature.  Opening the kit to inspect and seeing all of the tiny little parts was a bit intimidating thanks to wearing bi-focal spectacles and big fat fingers.  I put the kits away for safe keeping/protective custody and went on to other things.  I think about them from time to time as the kit included the original short gun tube plus the longer gun tube which I thought might be a useful upgrade to an M1 Abrams.  Your WIP images certainly highlight the issues with fit and finish of the HB Leopard II and that was something I was not expecting to see. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2021, 11:49:10 PM »
These Leopard kits are early HobbyBoss efforts. I had some of the same fit and finish issues that Ramba is seeing. With some arm wrestling and clamps, you can get the hull into a decent shape.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2021, 12:22:28 AM »
I ended up with a pair of the HobbyBoss Canadian Leopard II kits several years ago after a friend purchased the kits and used the slat anti-rpg bar armor for a different project.  The price was 'right' so I did not hesitate as I was not interested in the bar armor feature.  Opening the kit to inspect and seeing all of the tiny little parts was a bit intimidating thanks to wearing bi-focal spectacles and big fat fingers.  I put the kits away for safe keeping/protective custody and went on to other things.  I think about them from time to time as the kit included the original short gun tube plus the longer gun tube which I thought might be a useful upgrade to an M1 Abrams.  Your WIP images certainly highlight the issues with fit and finish of the HB Leopard II and that was something I was not expecting to see.

Hi Jeffry, I also have a couple more Hobby Boss Leopards, one is the the Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN and the other is the Dutch 2 A5/A6NL. The Dutch 2 A5/A6NL kit is the same as the German 2 A5/A6 that I just built. The Dutch version has extra parts that differentiate it from the German version but is basically the same exact kit. The Hobby Boss Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN is a new mold and is a lot better than the German and Dutch kits. You will have a much better build experience with the Hobby Boss Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN. It is not the same as the two older kits.

Here are the boxes of the other two I have.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2021, 12:25:19 AM »
These Leopard kits are early HobbyBoss efforts. I had some of the same fit and finish issues that Ramba is seeing. With some arm wrestling and clamps, you can get the hull into a decent shape.

Hi Frank3k, yes, the one I built is the older version. The Hobby Boss Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN is a new mold and is a lot better than the German one I built.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2021, 03:58:18 AM »
That's good to know - I thought all their modern Leopards were based on the same mold.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2021, 04:03:05 AM »
Hi Frank3k, yes, the one I built is the older version. The Hobby Boss Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN is a new mold and is a lot better than the German one I built.
Now with 33% more tiny parts! :smiley: 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2021, 06:16:31 AM »
Now with 33% more tiny parts! :smiley:

;)

Takes a few pix like those to fully appreciate how enormous the turret is on these Leopard versions.
I have the Swedish STRV 122 in the stash.
Not quite sure why I have it, nor how it got there though.

Offline Silverfox

« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2021, 02:35:22 AM »

Hi Jeffry, I also have a couple more Hobby Boss Leopards, one is the the Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN and the other is the Dutch 2 A5/A6NL. The Dutch 2 A5/A6NL kit is the same as the German 2 A5/A6 that I just built. The Dutch version has extra parts that differentiate it from the German version but is basically the same exact kit. The Hobby Boss Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN is a new mold and is a lot better than the German and Dutch kits. You will have a much better build experience with the Hobby Boss Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN. It is not the same as the two older kits.

Here are the boxes of the other two I have.

I recently built the Dutch one myself, and there weren't too many problems with it from my end. I didn't have the same problems with warped pieces for sure, and the alignment all seemed to be okay. Not sure about too many gaps; I didn't notice any, but my standards/eye might be different.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2021, 06:21:43 AM »
I recently built the Dutch one myself, and there weren't too many problems with it from my end. I didn't have the same problems with warped pieces for sure, and the alignment all seemed to be okay. Not sure about too many gaps; I didn't notice any, but my standards/eye might be different.

That's great news your Dutch kit went together smoothly. I promised to trade my Dutch kit to a friend though. I still have the Leopard 2A4M CAN but might not build it. I wanted to do one that operated in Afghanistan and I would need to add the Barracuda camouflage netting and I don't want to attempt applying it all over the kit.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2021, 06:40:26 AM »
Started one more. Italeri 1/35 LAV-AT.

I got this second hand and it was missing a few parts. It was missing the rear antenna base, driver's hatch and bar in front of the driver's hatch. I was fortunate enough to get the missing parts from a very kind member from another forum.

You can see some of the parts are a different color. Those were the parts that were kindly donated. There was an extra antenna base included in the donated parts so I was actually able to do the correct antenna layout as the real LAV-AT has one antenna base on either side of the hull. The wire cutters are from the AFV Club Stryker accessory set.

The resin tires are from Panzer Art and made for the Trumpeter kit but I modified them to fit the Italeri kit.

The Italeri kit tires weren't even close to what they are supposed to be. From left to right, the creme resin is unknown, gray resin is Panzer Art, black one is rubber from Trumpeter and lastly, the olive green one is from Italeri. The Panzer Art and Trumpeter tires match the real tires shown in the second photo.

Finally got it primed and ready for the NATO 3 color camouflage scheme.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »
The Panzer Art tires look the best. The Italeri look so far off that I'm wondering - are the halves different depending on the tire position? Are the left sides all identical (same for the right)... that's the only excuse I could come up with.

The LAV-25 looks good in black primer.