Author Topic: Handley-Page Heyford - a One Wing Biplane  (Read 11290 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: Handley-Page Heyford - a One Wing Biplane
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »
Seriously intimidating spats !

Like what you're doing here

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 07:12:07 PM »
Nice! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 02:50:11 AM »

Thanks, Gents . . .
Those spats will look a little less intimidating once painted, they stand out so much now, because of the grey plastic against the green . . .
All those 1930s heavy bombers have look about them, and I think I've managed to capture it here, I need to make spatted tailwheel, though.
Once again, I'm taking the easy finishing option, all over NIVO, and two colour roundels and fin flashes. The individual aircraft letters and stripes on the spats are quite colourful though . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »
That looks just right.  :D

Vaguely Frenchish, but akin to the Bristol Bombay as a comparison.

Yup. French Bombay. My thoughts exactly.  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 01:41:29 AM »
That looks just right.  :D

The Amiot Pondicherry perhaps.  ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2020, 02:32:06 AM »

;D ;D

I get the Bristol comparison but those Bombay spats do look a little on the anaemic side beside those awesome HP foot-coverings  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2020, 03:10:42 AM »
This is looking great. Is the two tome green on the wings part of the plastic? Because it would look good as a camo pattern.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2020, 03:53:13 AM »

The universe working in mysterious ways again...  :icon_fsm: I was reading about Pondicherry and French India just yesterday. One of those Wikipedia rabbit hole things where you're left with a dozen open tabs.  ;D I think it somehow started with an article referencing the population density of Long Island.  :icon_surprised:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline apophenia

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2020, 04:57:08 AM »
... I think it somehow started with an article referencing the population density of Long Island.  :icon_surprised:

;D ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online robunos

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2020, 05:17:33 AM »

Okay . . .
After a lot of head scratching, I finally figured out what I wanted to do with the tailwheel arrangement, so, having found a suitable wheel, I commenced the surgery . . . this is the result.

And a dry fit of the new tail wheel . . .

That's All For Now, Stay Tuned . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Online robunos

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2020, 05:21:27 AM »
This is looking great. Is the two tome green on the wings part of the plastic? Because it would look good as a camo pattern.
It's the moulding of the kit . . . I wasn't too happy with this kit, Revell seem to have 'improved' the tool when they re-popped it, the sprue gates seem to be a lot thicker than I remember when I built the Matchbox version, and as you said, the strange 'two-tone' moulding . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »
Like that tail wheel configuration.  Low drag feature for this oh so sleek bomber.  ;D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2020, 11:33:03 AM »
... I finally figured out what I wanted to do with the tailwheel arrangement...

Riiight, so the fuselage is the spat. Nice one  :smiley:

Online robunos

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2020, 05:01:13 AM »
... I finally figured out what I wanted to do with the tailwheel arrangement...

Riiight, so the fuselage is the spat. Nice one  :smiley:

You know, when I came up with the idea, I didn't really think about it that way, but now you mention it . . .   ;)    ;D
I was just looking through my books, for inspiration, came upon an unbuilt 1920s / 30s airliner that had this type of tailwheel, already had a spare wheel, it's from my Walrus build, so just kinda went for it and hoped . . .   :o    :-[    ;D
But honestly, I had to do something, the kit tailwheel looks like it belongs on a Tiger Moth, not a bomber . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2020, 06:56:00 AM »
Looks like it'll need some kind of suspension;

- some kind of trailing arm with a coil or V-spring?

- vertical arm with either coil or vertical volute spring?

???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2020, 06:56:20 AM »
The tailwheel looks fine - are you going to leave it at that height or put the axle inside the fuselage?

Online robunos

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2020, 04:26:23 AM »
Current plan is just to wrap a strip of plastic card around the wheel to simulate a fork . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Online robunos

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2020, 07:16:44 AM »

Okay . . .
Just got this one finished before the deadline. Handley Page Heyford, 'Operation Sauerkraut' spring 1935.

The Story.

Flight Lieutenant deBasha perched on the steps of the crew bus, finishing his pipe, as he watched Ginger, his co-pilot supervise the pre-flight preparations for tonight's mission. Running the contents of the briefing he had just received through his mind, he still didn't know whether to laugh or cry . . .
All of his Service career, he had been waiting to heat up this damned Cold War, between Britain and France, on the one hand, and the Boche on the other. Now, having finally got the chance to deliver some ordnance to the enemy, what was his payload; Atomic death by Carolinum Bomb ? No !, cabbages !! 'Operation Sauerkraut', the Desk Jockeys called it . . .

Apparently the whole affair started about 18 months ago, when a well-known chemical company noticed that the world famous pesticide that it manufactured, had stopped working, when tested before leaving the factory. Further research provided a shocking and sinister answer: the pesticide worked perfectly well, but the captive population of cabbage white butterflies,bred for the purpose of testing by the company, had, through prolonged exposure, become totally immune to the pesticide.
At first, this was a mere scientific curiosity, however, once the military found out, a plan was hatched to weaponise the insects.
The area of immediately to the North of thr Ruhr industrial region was the main cabbage growing area of Germany. If this region was infested with pesticide-immune caterpillars and butterflies, the cabbage harvest would be destroyed, and since the Germans lived on cabbage . . .

The details were comparitively simple. A special crop of cabbages would be grown in Britain, and the 'Super' butterflies would be allowed to lay their eggs on them. Once this had occured, the cabbages would be harvested, then dropped into the German cabbage fields from the air. The eggs would hatch, the caterpillars would devour all the cabbages within reach, then turn into butterflies. These would then spread out, and lay more eggs in turn. The result would be an uncontrollable plague of cabbage destroying insects. The effect on Germany would be devastating . . .

Like the plan, deBasha's mission was also simple. He would fly along one of the well-used routes taken by RAF reconnaissance aircraft, Northwards along the Rhine, on the French side, of course, from Cologne as far as the Belgian border. However, instead of at that point turning West for home, he would 'accidently' turn East, over Boche territory, and deliver his payload of brassicas. Once the 'dirty deed' was done, he would 'realise his error', turn West and fly back to base.
With luck, no-one would connect deBasha's 'mistake' with the butterfly plague . . .

deBasha was woken from his reverie by the sound of the approaching 'Bomb Lorry'. These articulated vehicle were used to bring the aircraft's payload, either bombs or recce pods, out to the flight line. This one however, was carrying the special 'Dispenser', that would drop the infected vegetables on the Boche cabbage fields.

Looking like of one the rockets in the 'Buck Gordon' movies he liked to watch, this device was specially built to release the cabbages precisely over the target. As a further surprise, as the cabbages were ejected from the Dispenser, they were to be sprayed with a liquid containing the spores of the Club Root fungus, another deadly pest of brassicas . . .

To this end, he wasn't to fly this mission with his usual crew, except Ginger. He would have no gunner on board, and his Navigator's place was taken by two strangers, indentified only as Brown and Black. Brown, at least, wore RAF blue and had a Navigator's brevet sewn on his tunic, but Black was definitely a 'Boffin'.
The briefing was quite explicit, once navigated over the target by Brown, deBasha must hold a precise heading and altitude, while Black and the Dispenser did their nefarious work.
By now the Bomb Lorry had arrived at his Heyford. He watched for a moment, admiring the driver's skill as he manouvered, reversing the trailer between the Heyford's spatted undercarriage, and placing the Dispenser in the correct position under the fuselage. Half a dozen 'erks' then appeared, then supervised by Black, hoisted the Dispenser into place, and attached it to the Heyford's belly.

His pipe smoked, deBasha picked up his flying helmet, goggles and parachute, and briskly walked, he was an Officer in His Majesty's Royal Air Force, he never ran, over to the aeroplane.
"Everything alright ?", he enquired of Ginger. "Yes, Skipper", replied the co-pilot. "Right-Ho, let's go and 'brassicate' the Boche !", he said, trying his best to sound enthusiastic . . .

That's All, Folks . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
Neat Basher-esque back story but, surely, that's not a whif? ???

Looks far too realistic! 8)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
Very neat, very Brian great tribute

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2020, 05:25:15 PM »
Nifty is the word.  Heyford configuration looks legit as early monoplane bomber.  An improvement.  :smiley:
Bomb lorry and interesting BdB style back story are right on !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 06:15:55 PM by finsrin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2021, 01:58:31 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2021, 02:51:07 AM »
Great looking plane - it reminds me of the Fairey Hendon:

The back story is very Brian, too!

Online robunos

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2021, 05:37:47 AM »
Thanks all, I tried to do a good job, to honour Brian, and I think I did, but it nearly ended up in the bin after the disaster with the decals . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2021, 06:04:16 AM »
That could proudly stand amongst any collection of the late 30's British bombers almost un-noticed as a whiffer

Really well done