Author Topic: ☆☆☆ We all Live in a Yellow Supermarine! ☆☆☆  (Read 18630 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: ☆☆☆ We all Live in a Yellow Supermarine! ☆☆☆
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2019, 08:08:20 AM »
Hi all

The yellow submarine has had its first coat of  rattle can white primer and on first inspection it looks like not to much remedial work to do before its final coat. In the meanwhile I have assembled the components to cast the front dome of the submarine.  I got fed up looking for something in the right shape and decided to grasp the smash molding nettle.

I've got some thirty thou acetate sheet which I am trapping in some thin plywood frames that i bought sometime ago from a craft shop, all held in place with spring clips. My heat source is a candle and for my shapes I have a plastic egg, a polystyrene egg, and a ceramic rabbit.

by Robomog, on Flickr

It has been a long while since I have done any molding so I had a few misfires and the polystyrene egg was a complete non starter, when I plunged the egg into the heated acetate it melted and fused with it, not a good start.

In contrast the plastic egg also stuck but with a bit if gentle twiddling came free and the ceramic rabbit head performed perfectly.

So now I have a fine selection of moldings to choose from to create the dome

by Robomog, on Flickr

More when it happens......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2019, 08:24:21 AM »
Full speed ahead now! ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »
I was just delighted by the bunny on your workbench, Mog.

That's some very fine smash-u-forming indeed and I hope the bunny doesn't need an aspirin.

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 11:35:35 AM »
Nice smash-forming work.  Got a couple ceramic eggs for decorations around here that look like they'd be perfect for that role.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2019, 11:18:13 PM »
Thanks guys

Kerick :-  Yup nearly done  ;)

Brian :- Thanks, Bunny is fine, just having some hot flushes apparently   ::)

Elmayearle :- could have done with some small ceramic eggs, would have been ideal for this --sigh--  :(

Mog

>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2019, 11:24:56 PM »
Short break for a little backstory...……

The Yellow Supermarine

The Yellow Supermarine started life in the days just before World War Two, a rich entrepreneur had seen the design of the new Supermarine Spitfire and was impressed by its shape and aerodynamics.

Working on the premise that if the body shape could slip cleanly through the air it could also slip efficiently through the water he commissioned an industrial boat building company to build a small submarine based on the spitfires body design with the intention of creating a fleet of tourist submarines that would do trips underwater around the coral reefs in Australia, The Bahamas and other Pacific islands.

The design featured large portholes, a glass bottom section and a clear nosecone at the bow for the tourists to see the reefs. It was also to have four novelty miniature periscopes for use when the submarine was cruising just below the waves.

Construction was quite advanced when war was declared and work all but stopped in favour of more important projects. The entrepreneur however convinced the powers that be that his design could have military uses and one submarine was completed without the glass bow or bottom and only one periscope.

In the military’s eyes it was a disappointment, while it was mechanically sound and handled well, the range of its electric only power plant was limiting, as was its maximum depth of dive. It was too small and under powered to carry a torpedo and too large to compete with the up and coming X-Boats.

All further development was stopped, the submarine was sent to a large naval repair depot where it served as a floating crew hut and mobile workshop for the rest of the war before being struck off the register and sold to a scrap merchant, who continued to use it as its wartime role. Eventually the submarine outlived its usefulness and was beached with several other rusting hulks.

The submarine lay there for many years, narrowly avoiding the scrappers cutting torch on several occasions until it was eventually tracked down by the entrepreneur who brought it for scrap value and had it towed to a small dockyard with a view to returning it to its former glory.

On inspection it was found that time had been kind to this vehicle, although rusty in places it was still structurally sound, and the electric motors still worked despite some of the batteries having run dry.

The submarine was given a full refit and converted back to its original design with the four periscopes and viewing areas, the only addition was a small petrol engine located at the rear of the conning tower for trickle charging the batteries to increase the submarines range.

The Submarine began its new life resplendent in a new yellow paint scheme and proved very popular, quietly motoring between the islands for many successful of years. Eventually time took its toll on the equipment and spare parts became hard to get or expensively scarce, coupled with the rising cost of operating the craft it was decided to cease operations and the Yellow Submarine was once again under the threat of the scrappers cutting torch. 

Salvation came from another man with vision, once again the Yellow Submarine was purchased for scrap value. It was towed to a boat yard and the insides were completely gutted and refitted as a self-contained holiday home. It was then towed to a remote island and permanently moored in a small secluded inlet. A caretaker was employed to maintain the vessel and keep the food, water, and fuel for the generator topped up.

Despite or because of the exorbitant rates charged the Yellow Submarine became very popular in music and entertainment circles as it provided a welcome getaway from the paparazzi or a quiet space to write or compose.

At one point the advertising blurb boasted a certain sixties boy band had stayed there for a while and it had been the influence for one of their famous songs until somebody forcefully pointed out that it wasn’t ‘that’ boy band, so it couldn’t have influenced ‘that’ song. The blurb was duly pulled, but some aspects of the cartoon vehicle still looked curiously similar to parts of the floating home.

The Yellow Submarine finally met its fate during a violent hurricane, its moorings parted in the high winds allowing the storm surge to drag it out to sea then push it onto a coral reef, smashing the glass bottom and clear nose.

The submarine sank quickly and was lost, until about five years later when it was found by divers quietly becoming an artificial coral reef, continuing the sterling service of the Yellow Submarine

The next post will be the completed model...………………..

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2019, 12:33:49 AM »
Short break for a little backstory...……

<snip>

The next post will be the completed model...………………..

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

You are one terrible tease, Mog!

;D

Brian da Basher

Offline Kerick

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2019, 05:00:20 AM »
Nice story!!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2019, 10:42:03 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2019, 06:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments chaps, much appreciated.

I'm declaring this project "finished" but its not quite. The Decals i have ordered have not arrived and the ETA may or may not be during the two week extension (if it is given). I am therefore going to enter the Yellow Supermarine as it stands now and if the Decals do turn up then i will republish the pics.

So Here are the pics of the completed Yellow Submarine............

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

20190426_204748 crop by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Lack of decals aside all comments and criticism gratefully accepted.

thanks for looking.......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »
That’s come out brilliantly, if you didn’t know you’d hardly guess that started as a spitfire.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2019, 07:23:58 AM »
It looks great! Brings back fond memories of the Disneyland submarine ride (I actually thought it was a real submarine when I was a kid:

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2019, 07:44:48 AM »
Now that's utterly delightful in every sense of the word!

BTW the Scale-o-rama GB will be extended until May 15. I feel bad for not letting that out sooner.

Most excellent, Mog!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2019, 09:19:07 AM »
Well done, 'mog! Came together nicely! :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »
That’s come out brilliantly, if you didn’t know you’d hardly guess that started as a spitfire.

Right --- If did not know linage of sub, odds are way against figuring it out.  Looks like OOB.  Dang good build.  :smiley:

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2019, 10:57:42 AM »
What can I say except "Beautiful!"?

Offline Kerick

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
What all those other guys said!!!!
I will be adding this to my list of things to imitate!

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2019, 03:14:59 PM »

beautiful !

Offline Robomog

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, most heartwarming.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 05:45:46 PM »
What all those other guys said!!!!
I will be adding this to my list of things to imitate!
Ditto, and ditto :)

Beautiful!

Offline Robomog

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2019, 12:48:41 AM »
Thanks Antonio,

Well chaps, The decals finally arrived but I was still procrastinating as to decorate it as the picture in my mind or not at all, in the end I opted for the middle ground and settled for subtle and understated

I'll let you decide if I took the right path, but in my eyes it looks properly finished.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

The palm tree logo is a fingernail transfer and the text is made up from a  Ventura decal sheet of serial numbers.  I cant praise Ventura decals enough,  not only are they precise they are not printed on a continuous sheet of adhesive, each digit is separate and requires no trimming. It makes a very fiddly job a lot easier and as you can see the results are good.

Thanks for looking......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2019, 01:23:20 AM »
I'm glad the decals arrived in time and your middle-of-the-road approach paid off handsomely, Mog!

Reef Tours sound like fun. As long as they don't get too close to those reefs that is.

What a fantastic model!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2019, 01:52:05 AM »
Good decision on the transfers/decals! :smiley:

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2019, 03:39:34 AM »
Beautiful selection and application of decals to finish off the model in a gorgeous manner.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2019, 04:57:13 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.