Author Topic: Etiquette and expectations when requesting profiles?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
Etiquette and expectations when requesting profiles?
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Gents, I was just wondering what the usual process is for requesting creation of digital profiles, haggling for compensation and such to get the ball rolling... thinking that for some of us traditional modelers, having a CGI "concept sketch" for inspiration, or a 3-view with or without isometric, or a 3d render might help with inspiration and motivation.

So, how does this party work?

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Etiquette and expectations when requesting profiles?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
If I can figure out how to motivate myself, I'll let you know!

In all seriousness, though, it totally depends on the person doing the profile.  Just hang out around their thread, compliment them on their work, and you're more likely to have success, I think.  I know that was the case for me.  Lauhof, for example, heaped praise on all my work so that when he requested a Dutch example of one of my aircraft profiles, I was more than happy to make one because I knew it would be greatly appreciated.  He even printed them out and put them on his wall!

For me, the average profile takes days of research followed generally by days of actual work.  That's of an aircraft for which I've already done the lighting, shading, etc.  For that reason, I don't often do requests that stray too far off the path of the profiles that I'm already doing.  To my memory, I've only ever done a new aircraft type as a "request" a couple of times.

Individual profiles, however, I've done more than a dozen that were "requests" or suggestions from forum members.  Many others are far more accommodating than I am, however.  John ("Maverick") used to be by far the most likely person to meet requests, but unfortunately he doesn't do profiles anymore.

As with everything in life, however, bribery can effect greater results.   ;)

Cheers,

Logan