Author Topic: SketchUp 3D Model - V-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor Madness  (Read 9352 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
SketchUp 3D Model - V-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor Madness
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:15:42 AM »
All three of these 3D models are all derived from 3D models created by other people that have been uploaded to be shared at SketchUp's 3D Warehouse.  All of these have been shared previously elsewhere but I am consolidating them now into one topic here.  So if you have seen it before, I apologize, for those that are viewing it for the first time I will explain my rationale for what I did. 

V-22 Osprey with ducted fans

The V-22 Osprey with the ducted fans is certainly something that would not be capable of flight according to certain "experts" but who cares, it was an exercise to see what a ducted fan V-22 would look like without shredding a several model kits and I kind of like what turned out. 

V-22 Osprey with six blade rotors

The V-22 Osprey with six rotor blades is another exercise in trying to visualize something on the V-22 without wasting a couple of expensive kits in the process.  In this case, I liked the idea of main rotors with more than just three rotor blades and wanted to see how it looked.  It certainly looks convincing. 

V-22 Osprey + C-130 Hercules = V-44?

The V-44 four tilt-rotor thing is based on V-22 rotors and engines mated to a C-130 Hercules fuselage.  This was another attempt to see what would come of kit-bashing without wasting valuable plastic.  It is a bit homely looking but in the right scale (really small) it might actually be possible to model it without too much effort (PSR). 

Click on any of the above images or this link to my FaceBook album SketchUp Aircraft to view additional images of these subjects. 

Before anyone states the obvious, yes, the Osprey has a left and right side access door.  Apparently the original modeler that created the V-22 Osprey as a 3D model in SketchUp cut some corners by cloning one half of the Osprey fuselage and then reversed it to make a complete fuselage.  I kind of like the idea of two access doors myself, you have a choice on entering from either side and you could also mount weapons in both locations or a weapon in one door and a rescue hoist in the other.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:54:14 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
Re: SketchUp 3D Model - V-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor Madness
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
The Tilt-Rotor Hercules:

The original manufacturer's concept artwork for what was to become the V-22 Osprey had a "V" tail, I thought it looked good and in the case of a larger tilt-rotor such as this, it might be practical to have such a configuration to lower the physical height of the aircraft while maintaining a larger surface area for the control surfaces.  That is my story, and I am sticking to it. :^)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:54:12 AM »
I love the ducted fan V-22!  I also see no reason why it couldn't work.

Also love the V tail on the tilt rotor herc.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:27:40 AM »
These are both excellent . Great look, and the V-22 is like a wonderful near-future masterpiece
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »
Both new ones are wonderful!

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »
Two 'real world' tweaks that would make the Tilt-duct V-22 more plausible:
1. reduce the distance between the ducts, move both inboard about half the distance shown.
2. have the rear half of each wing droop straight down, this reduces the area under the
    propeller disc and may also be useful for control.

Cool stuff, one question, are the ducts translating forward before rotating vertical?
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »
Two 'real world' tweaks that would make the Tilt-duct V-22 more plausible:
1. reduce the distance between the ducts, move both inboard about half the distance shown.
2. have the rear half of each wing droop straight down, this reduces the area under the
    propeller disc and may also be useful for control.

Cool stuff, one question, are the ducts translating forward before rotating vertical?

Jon,

I tried to keep it simple, no engineering involved and as such, just an idea that I could share with others.  Also it was a great way to model something that did not have parts readily available to actually do a lash up to see if it was possible to pull off.  So for this effort I matched the ducted fans to the same position that the rotors would have been located at the end of each engine.  As far as ducts rotating, they are just sitting there without any structure included to attach them to the engines.  So that part of the model is stuck in a gray area as to what would happen if such a concept were to be attempted and flown.  Any translation from one direction of flight to the other might be tricky since the ducted fans are not really providing any lift like a helicopter it might just be physically impossible to make this thing work in the real world.  A better solution might be the contra-rotating rotors of the double tilt-rotor C-130 or an increase in the number of blades per rotor (maybe six instead of three each) to get an aircraft that is a little less noisy.  If I were to do this over again I would probably go with a six blade rotor system instead of the ducted fans.  As it were, the ducted fan components were sourced from very large fan jet engine SketchUp model for this effort. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:54:15 AM by jeffryfontaine »

Offline Bladerunner

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 03:02:17 AM »
WOW!!! :o

Those are SO COOL!!!
They will also look stunning as built models. Will be a costly project, but the wow-factor will be awesome at a display while giving a few JMN's heart attacks.  :D

Stargazer2006

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »
Quad-Rotor Hercules is so cool it makes you wonder why they didn't explore that option instead of the costly QTR/V-44 studies that led to nought...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
The contra-rotors aren't that far from some of the studies under way and that's 'bout all I can say.  Mind you, the fans likely wouldn't work for USMC usage as I doubt you could meet some of their requirements (rotor folding, wing stowage, et al. within a certain very limited time).  Still, for certain uses, I could see them.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
Jeff - FYI - no tilt-rotor plans for B-17H. 
Maybe you have ideas for later models, like ones modernized for 21st Century use.
Bill

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »
Jeff, idea: what if you combined the six-blade rotors with the quad?