Author Topic: The Saladin Downunder  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
The Saladin Downunder
« on: April 08, 2021, 07:08:34 PM »
The Saladin Downunder

The Saladin Armoured Car was a British multi-role vehicle appearing in the post-World War 2 years. It was brought online after a lengthy development period to replace the outgoing 4x4 AEC Armoured Car that was used throughout the British campaigns of World War 2, first beginning in North Africa, and went on to serve for a time thereafter. The Saladin was named after the Kurdish Muslim warrior Saladin who led campaigns against European crusaders and was ultimately ruler over what is today modern-day Egypt, Syria and Yemen as well as the regions consisting of Mesopotamia and Hejas. Despite development of the Saladin beginning in the post-war years, the type did not formally enter British service until 1958.

The Saladin was part of the Alvis family of FV600 series vehicles (all named with designations prefixed with the letter "S"). Another vehicle in the line, the 6x6 FV603 Saracen, was also born from the FV600 family and used extensively in policing territories in Northern Ireland. Similarly, the Saladin was developed with a 6x6 wheelbase that made use of a 6x6 wheeled suspension system and borrowed some of the drive-train lessons as learned in the development of the Saracen. While the Saracen itself was billed as an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) at heart, the Saladin was categorized as a dedicated armoured car system.

History of the Saladin in Australian Service

The Australian Army ordered approximately 60 Saladins in 1960.  They were delivered in 1961.  Initially they armed the reconnaissance regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps.  However, with the increasing emphasis on operations in South East Asia it was felt that wheeled vehicles lack mobility.   The vehicles were withdrawn from regular army units and handed over to the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) units in 1963.   They performed well there, on long range patrols across the “top end” of the continent, in the arid areas.  However, they weren’t popular with their crews because of the high maintenance loads associated with long distance travel.  In 1965 they were withdrawn from CMF units.  15 vehicles had their turrets removed and they were placed on M113 APCs.

The Australian Army mounted Saladin turrets on M113A1 APCs to produce the Fire Support Vehicle. This was later renamed as the Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle after the somewhat unreliable turret was replaced by the turret from the FV101 Scorpion Light Tank. Royal Australian Armoured Corps(RAAC) personnel referred to them as "Beasts".

The other 45 remaining vehicles were passed onto the RAAF Airfield Defence Guards (ADG) where they saw sterling service, defending RAAF airfields.  The ADGs liked them, dashing madly along the runways and taxiways to deter any who would dare to attack them.   The vehicle displayed is painted in Bronze Green the standard British Army colour and is from the ADG 5 Cavalry Squadron, Amberly Air Base in approximately 1975 where they were responsible for guarding the RAAF’s F-111 Strike Aircraft.

The Kit

A Dragon 1/35 scaled Saladin.  Painted with a hairy stick.  Decals OOB. 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: The Saladin Downunder
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »
Another good one, mate! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 08:29:16 PM »
Inspiring.  Now, if I find a Saladin on sale, I'll have to add it to the stash.  I think it'd look just right in USMC colors/markings.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 04:07:01 PM »
RAAFies with armour? That's terrifying!  :o

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 02:02:25 AM »

Worse.  ADGies with armour. :o
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 04:51:10 PM »

Worse.  ADGies with armour. :o

Why? No-one complained in 2016! ???

Link: https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6657.msg115953#msg115953

(Sorry the the link images are from PissBucket, at least the one above is from SmugMug.)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 01:19:40 AM »
Why? No-one complained in 2016! ???

We were shocked and scared at the prospect then too... ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 01:45:38 AM »
The Saladin Downunder...

Very nice! Maybe the ADF also takes on a few of the offered Saladin's with 30 mm L21 Rarden autocannons?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »
The Saladin Downunder...

Very nice! Maybe the ADF also takes on a few of the offered Saladin's with 30 mm L21 Rarden autocannons?

The Pot Plants (green and stand in the corner aren't allowed to speak) would appreciate that. 76mm ammunition is running a bit short...

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 11:23:18 AM »
The Saladin Downunder...

Tell you what, a quick off the shelf turret swap... not a bad combo

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 12:45:13 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 09:58:25 PM »
ADGies don't need armour, they can run assault courses while individually armed with Browning M-2 HMGs!  That was according to an ex ADGie who was offended when I laughed at his claim.