Current and Finished Projects > Stories

Opportunity Cost

<< < (8/8)

elmayerle:
Okay, I can follow that.  What they've got here is a best effort given the knowledge of the time.  Would a later version of the P.23 get such a radome/intake installation as knowledge and available engines both improve?

AGRA:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on June 25, 2012, 12:08:24 PM ---Okay, I can follow that.  What they've got here is a best effort given the knowledge of the time.  Would a later version of the P.23 get such a radome/intake installation as knowledge and available engines both improve?

--- End quote ---

It would be possible in terms of a Sabre to Super Sabre type evolution but the only thing on the early aircraft on the later one would be the name. But at the end of the day I don't think the minor loss of radar performance to the flanks is so bad. Especially since if the P.202 had gone ahead as the CA-23 and a fully funded development (as I propose in this Whif) it would be in squadron service by 1956. So the RAAF would have a two seat all weather interceptor in service that is much better than the Gloster Javelin.

Volkodav:
It just struck me that one of the potential changes resulting from Australia not acquiring carriers would be to long term continuation of the RAAF reserve fighter squadrons past the 1950s and their Mustangs, Vampires and Meteors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version