Modelling > Aero-space

Brewster Buffalo Ideas and Inspiration

(1/9) > >>

GTX_Admin:
A thread for your Brewster Buffalo Ideas and Inspiration.

GTX_Admin:
Some interesting armament trials/mockups:

apophenia:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on December 17, 2020, 02:01:12 AM ---Some interesting armament trials/mockups:

--- End quote ---

They are indeed! Also interesting is the spinner and cowling. I wonder if these were just for the wind tunnel or were such nose changes actual proposals for cleaning up the Buffalo?

Kelmola:
What would be the biggest engine you could conceivably install on a Buffalo without completely borking the CoG? Later versions had problems with the weight creep so more engine power could help. Though that would cause weight to increase even more, so perhaps you would need longer wings as well ;)

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: Kelmola on December 18, 2020, 05:22:19 PM ---What would be the biggest engine you could conceivably install on a Buffalo without completely borking the CoG? Later versions had problems with the weight creep so more engine power could help. Though that would cause weight to increase even more, so perhaps you would need longer wings as well ;)

--- End quote ---

Depends upon how practical you wanted to be.  I'm sure you could do something wild if you wanted to do a Brewster Buffalo based race aircraft going along the lines of some of the Reno racers with outsized engines.

If wanting something for operational use in a realistic timeframe though, I would probably go with refitting a 'standard' Buffalo with a uprated version of the R-1820.  Perhaps either of the following:

* 1350 hp Wright R-1820-56 (same engine as General Motors FM-2 "Wilder Wildcat") or even the later R-1820-74W giving up to 1500 hp - these would be available in the 1942 - 1945 period and thus give between 150 - 300 more hp than a standard 1200hp engine; or
* To take a different route, maybe fit with a turbosupercharged variant similar to that used on the B-17 so as to help ,maintain power at altitude

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version