Modelling > Land

2X and 3X Wheeled Vehicles (Motorcycles and Motor-Tricycles)

(1/16) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
Seeing artoor_k's latest contributions to the Physical Models section of the forum gave me pause to consider the subject of 2X and 3X wheeled vehicles.  In particular motorcycles, motorcycles with side car, and motor-tricycle type vehicles. 

One particular motorcycle that I am particularly impressed with is the  Rokon 2X2 motorcycle as shown in this image from the Rokon web page:

Image source: Rokon 2X2 motorcycles ([url=http://www.rokon.com]www.rokon.com)[/url]

Wikipedia - Rokon Motorcycles
Rokon World

Arctic Cat Cub 2X2 Motorcycle (from the Rokon World web page)

Image source: Bob Gallagher/Rokon World

kitnut617:
Back in the 80's I drew up this sidecar what-if.  It is supposed to be 2-Wheel Drive (possible 3-Wheel Drive too) and to use the Yamaha V-Max motor for power.
 With the bodywork removed you can see the frame is basically the floor and just a simple frame to hold the bodywork

elmayerle:
So would kettenrad variations and such like fit in here?

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on February 16, 2012, 10:17:06 AM ---So would kettenrad variations and such like fit in here?
--- End quote ---

The SkKfz 2 KettenKrad was capable of operation without the handlebar/wheel assembly mounted so it was more of a full-tracked vehicle and not a motorcycle or motor-tricycle. 
Your call on whether to include it here or to just start a new discussion topic. 

kitnut617:
On my sidecar idea, I came up with a plan on how to have everything  in the frame (almost everything).  I chose the Yamaha V-Max engine because of it's layout and where the gearbox drive-shaft was positioned.  To keep the un-sprung weight down to a minimum, the wheel hubs wouldn't have a crown gear in them (like most shaft drive motorcycles do), the crown gear housing would be in the frame and the crown & pinion axis perpendicular to the engine. I also went this way because I needed a differential in the loop, because of the different turn radius the front and back wheels have, the differential would also be a 'Posi-Track' limited slip type.  The engine itself, I turned around. One reason was so the driveshaft would be at the front on the engine, second reason was so the exhaust could run straight back and a third reson was so the airbox for the fuel injectors would be place over the gearbox so being infront of the engine and in the cold air.

The frame itself is quite deep, the idea here was it would hold the fuel and also any other storage needed for liquids.  I'd have a part of it as an oil tank which would also act as a cooler.  Th frame would be made from aluminum as would be the sub-frame which holds the seat and the dummy tank (really the airbox housing)

A friend of mine had a Yamaha Venturer which has the same engine as the V-Max (except it's tuned differently)so I spent a couple of days one weekend measuring up the engine.  My brother had a new Suzuki Motocrosser which had a neat suspension idea, which I also had a good look at and made a few measurements of that.  All the suspension on the sidecar is based on this system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version