Modelling > Aero-space

General Dynamics F-111 Ideas and Inspiration

(1/30) > >>

GTX_Admin:
Folks,

An area for your General Dynamics F-111 Ideas and Inspiration.  To start with an inspiring picture of the old Pig.

Regards,

Greg

GTX_Admin:
One I did a while ago...a STOVL F-111:

elmayerle:
First thought that comes to mind is re-engining it with F110 engines (GD-Ft. Worth did study this intently and it was quite doable), particularly if the variant selected acquires a high inlet distortion tolerant fan derived from that of its F118 sibling.  Beyond that, a comprehensive avionics upgrade and a "glass cockpit" seem like obvious moves.  Beyond that, perhaps converting it to have a deployable probe and drogue refueling set-up (as proposed for F-111K or production F-111B) in addition to or in place of the flying boom receptacle.

GTX_Admin:
The idea of re-engining with GE110s was also looked at for the RAAF F-111s.  In the end though, it just wasn't cost effective.

If you look at my Greater Australia story though, I had this happen much earlier in their lives...at the same time as Australia acquired F-14Bs.

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle:
That works well.  I wonder, would 1/48 scale Super Bug inlets work for replacing the standard F-11 inlets in 1/72?  You'd reduce max. speed since you wouldn't have a variable inlet, but I could see advantages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version