Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Convair Pye Wacket

(1/1)

Jeffry Fontaine:
Convair Pye Wacket Lenticular Defense Missile is another one of those interesting designs that has seen very little of the program information released to the public.  What little to be had can be found at the following links:

Andreas Parsch' Designation Systems - Convair Pye Wacket
Rocket Dungeon - Lenticular rockets: FGG-3/Darque Sol/Pye Wacket
Darque Sol - Project Darque Sol Pye Wacket
Wikipedia - Pye Wacket

(Click to view larger image.  Source: USAF Materiel Command, AEDC, PYE WACKET, Photo 59-1907-C/Wikipedia)

The Darque Sol link appears to be one of the more interesting due to the construction of what appears to be a 1:2 scale model of the Pye Wacket. 

While external carriage by a small fighter might be out of the question for a missile of this size and shape it is certainly an interesting design. 

elmayerle:
I have to wonder if this is the only time a movie/book has inspired a missile name. "Pye Wacket" was the name of the feline familiar of one of the witches in the book/movie "Bell, Book, and Candle".

Jeffry Fontaine:
The unique shape of the Pye Wacket got me to wondering what could be done with it in SketchUp. 

WIP but the end result after a few minutes of trying to get the leading edge of the disc to look right. 

elmayerle:
Looking at those views in sketch-up, I have to wonder if the artist responsible for the original Enterprise model had some passing familiarity with this missile, it certainly resembles toe primary hull of the NCC-1701.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version