Modelling > Aero-space

Hughes HK-1 / H-4 Hercules

(1/9) > >>

kitnut617:
The Hughes HK-1 / H-4 has always fascinated me in that something as big as a 747 could be built way back in the 1940's.  I've built a 1/200 model of it and I'm buying a 1/72 scale kit too, but just recently I had the oppotunity to go see the real thing in McMinville, Oregon.  Even though I have a good idea of it's size in my head, it just doesn't prepare yourself when you do see it.  It is absolutely huge ----

Here's a pic of it lurking behind the front glass wall of the museum as you approach the entrance to the museum

Here is what you see almost right after you get in the doors ---

Here's a pic standing under the port wing

kitnut617:
The aircraft just fills the museum hall, you have a very hard time trying to take a complete photo of it from inside, you just can't step back far enough to get it all in one shot.

Some more pics

kitnut617:
You're able to view the inside of the aircraft but for the most part it's from an area just inside the doorway which has been cut into the side of the fuselage. 

For an extra US$25 on top of the entrance fee you can get a guided tour of the cockpit and see how the upper deck was laid out, only there has to be a certain numbe rof people going all at one time.  We were a bit pushed for time because out travel plans had changed so much the two days before that we skipped this tour but it's something I intend to do sometime in the future when I go back down there and have a good look around.

In this pic you can see windows have been installed in the fuselage side so light can get into the cockpit.

Daryl J.:
Isn't that an incredible machine?

A patient of mine used to own that J-3.

Too bad you couldn't have been there in later September.   My modeling buddies are having their show there.   

GTX_Admin:
Ok - definitely going there next time I am over there ...and have time. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version