Modelling > Aero-space

B-29 (48th scale) with B-36 (72nd scale) wings - Scale-o-Rama?

(1/2) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
This could be done in a variety of scales.  For the purpose of sharing this idea I am basing this on the Monogram (now Revell) 1/72nd scale B-36 and the 1/48th scale B-29 kits.  With some suitable modifications, the wings from the smaller scale B-36 could be adapted to the fuselage of the larger scale B-29.  The end result would be a 1/48th scale six engine bomber with about the same dimensions as the 1/72nd scale B-36 on the shelf.  The only wrinkle I see in this would be where and how to place the wings.  Maybe cut the entire fuselage section from the B-36 and adapt that to the B-29 fuselage as a solution to the problem.  This would put the wing a bit higher on the fuselage and allow you to have a much longer bomb bay as an added benefit. 

With a surplus of B-29 kits in protective custody and no B-36 in sight this is something that would have to be undertaken by someone that does have both kits in their stash.  I leave the small details for you to work out :^)

finsrin:
Have those two kits and was sizing up doing that fuselage-wing swap in both directions.  I am building to have 1/72 models when done.
That said  ---  the B-29 engines are too large to be a realistic size radial, need engine/wing surgery to fix it  ---  B-36 wings being 1/72 are already good, would make changes to B-29 cockpit etc to bring fuselage into 1/72 scale, guns would scale up to 20mm.

Jeffry Fontaine:
I managed to score a B-36 from a local source.  Box was rather beat up and there were two propellers with broken blades.  I suspect the repairs will be easy enough to do but at least I have the kit and I can now go to the next step in the process of trying to mate B-36 wings with a B-29 fuselage.  That is plan "A" and alternate plan "B" will be to try and use the B-36 fuselage with some alterations to the cockpit to make a 48th scale windscreen and cockpit fit the B-36 fuselage.  The advantage here would be having one very long bomb bay and the landing gear already matched to the height of the aircraft. 

kitnut617:
The 1/72 B-36 fuselage is 52mm in diameter Jeff, what's the diameter of the 1/48 B-29 ?

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: kitnut617 on February 05, 2012, 12:04:33 AM ---The 1/72 B-36 fuselage is 52mm in diameter Jeff, what's the diameter of the 1/48 B-29 ?
--- End quote ---

I will know that as soon as I get down to my storage unit and pull one of my B-29 kits out to actually check the dimensions.  So far it has been the standard "eye ball" approach to this idea as in the image I had seen of a B-29 parked next to a B-36 and realized how small the Boeing product was in real life. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version