Modelling > Aero-space

Douglas A-4 Skyhawk Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (2/80) > >>

upnorth:
What about a two engined version built around a pair of J-85 engines?

A regards the thrust reverser idea; I'd be inclined to go with the afterburning RB-199, but rig up an internal thrust reverser like in the Saab Viggen rather than the crude external bucket system of the Tornado. it would still get you the coolness of a thrust reverser, but in a more elegant package.

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on March 17, 2012, 03:27:54 AM ---I couldn't find an existing thread - I always do a search before starting a new thread. ;)

Re the RB199, it should be able to fit one - after all Singapore fitted the F404 to theirs and that is a bigger engine.  Would need some appropriate engineering but it should work.

Now to take things one step further, what about an A-4 with RB199...with the thrust reversers as per the Panavia Tornado!?  Still thinking of the reason....but who cares?

--- End quote ---
You'd need a reverser system more like the Viggen's, but no reason it couldn't work.  The RB.199, as with the F404, would also need the necessary structural and systems mods for the AMAD installation ahead of the engine.  Since Singapore did it, it's clearly not a major problem.

One further thought, how about taking the lengthened fuselage of the two-seater and making it a single-seat bird; leaving the emaining volume, depending on how you did the conversion, for additional avionics, additional fuel, or additional ammo.

elmayerle:

--- Quote from: upnorth on March 17, 2012, 04:00:47 PM ---A few years ago I had a RAF Skyhawk on the go.

I was using a Fujimi single seater kit with a Quickboost Harrier Gr.5 nose grafted on.

I put the typical RAF blocky RWR antenna on the tail and a bolt on retractable IFR probe similar to the Tornado IDS set up on it.

I kept the kit tailpipe and decided it would take a dry Avon as it's engine.

I had the plan to put 30 mm Aden guns on it and had some BL 755 cluster bombs to hand under it.

Sadly; the nose suffered resin shrinkage and, in a fit of rage, she took a flight across the room.

I had her painted in mid 80s green/grey wraparound and marked up as an 11 Sqn. machine.

I'll see if I still have pics of her somewhere.

--- End quote ---
A dry Avon would work as the original engine in the Skyhawk, the J65, is a dry Sapphire.

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: upnorth on March 17, 2012, 06:56:21 PM ---What about a two engined version built around a pair of J-85 engines?

--- End quote ---

Me likey your thinking!

Scooterman:
Real quick thoughts on engines.

Twin J85s wouldn't be much good.  Get about 10k lbs thrust total but don't forget the weight gain with twin engines (plumbing, aero mods, wiring etc)  The Pratt J52-P-408 pushed 11,500lbs, not too shabby.  FYI the F404 in the (T)A-4SUs are 10,400 but better gas milage.

RB199 wouldn't be bad, but without reheat only throws 9500lbs.  And a bit thirsty.  The engine was designed for more of a twin engine application.

M88 from the Rafale is going to give you the same issues with the RB199 but a bit more power 11,200.

If I was going to install a new motor, I'd go F414 from the Superbug.  More power dry (13,000+) with just a tweaks from a F404 installation. 

I guess the RM12 from the Gripen would prolly work just as good as F404.

Oh an thrust reverser.............not going to happen.  WAAAY too heavy a device for the Skyhawks' airframe.  Give me good brakes and a drag chute!

Let me finish by saying the above statements are done with a bit of Scooter knowledge, and LOTS of guesstimating from quickly looking at motor specs online in a very tired state.  By no means take it for granted or gospel!   :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version