Author Topic: Theseus 8x8 Amphibious cargo hauler - done!  (Read 7775 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Theseus 8x8 Amphibious cargo hauler - done!
« on: September 18, 2020, 06:16:21 AM »
This is the second post - my first one last night vanished.
I recently bought the Space 1999: Nuclear Waste Area 2 Diorama Set w/ Bonus Moon Buggy kit at a deeep discount on Hobbylinc. I never cared for the series, but this kit has some good LED lights, useful shapes, an acceptable vacuformed Moon surface and a second 1/24 scale "Moon buggy" - actually a 6 wheeled Amphicat.

The Amphicat/Moon Buggy looks like a cramped ride for the two 1/24 astronauts (or 1:1 humans) so I decided to rescale it to 1/35, make it electric and add two extra wheels. There's an 8 wheel Amphicat that doesn't look at all like this.
I've been wanting to design some tires, and this was a good opportunity. I duplicated the kit axles in 3D as well and added a framework that slips into the existing slots and holds the wheels in place:

The white on the wheels is resin dust stuck when I wet sanded some of the parts. Even though the resin looks almost black, it's actually clear. I only had about 100ml left, so I added some concentrated alcohol based black ink - it makes the details stand out, but leaves a white dust when sanded. BTW, while a clever idea in principle, in practice, the fine charcoal? pigment settled and I had to stir the resin up with every new print. It may work better with a dye based ink.

Here it is with two 1/35 figures. It's still a relatively small vehicle:

While the tire design printed out well on the first try, it took three iterations of the hub/wheel to get a design that worked well:
1 - tire, separate tire walls with integral hub.
2 - tire with walls, separate hubs.
3 - tire with walls, hubs connected.

The tires are pretty thin (0.75mm, to save on resin) so lining everything up is harder than it should be.

Here's the tire and hub (or wheel) design:

My tires are a bit wider than the kit tires. This led to a problem later on:

I copied the kit axles exactly and built them into the axle support. Since my tires are wider, there's a deeper hole on the outward facing side, even though they're held in place securely. I'll have to print mini "hubcaps"
connectors.

Here's the front view. I just noticed that I have the engines upside down (the electrical contact should face up) and the treads are backwards:

Luckily it's an easy fix. The wheel assembly is press fit into the body and easy to remove:

The fit isn't exact - I had to sand it down a bit - but once glued in place, it should straighten out.

Next, I have to figure out the seating arrangement - I think the driver in the middle works - and I have to add shock absorbers to the front and rear.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 10:04:08 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: 8 Wheel electric Amphicat
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 07:55:11 AM »
Good process documentation.

It is a subject you could do a lot with

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
Great work Frank! 

Is it still a Skid-Steer vehicle?  Even in 1:35th scale, there is still not much room in that thing but certainly much more room than it had as a 1:24th scale ATV. 
Electric drive is certainly unique and it looks like you have thought this out really well. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 11:29:07 AM »
Thanks guys. Jeff - It's good ol' skid steering. I tried to figure out a way of steering like a normal vehicle, and there just isn't enough clearance for a steering rod and all the fun bits without giving the vehicle an even wider stance. I thought the front two wheels could be made to steer, but those other six would just skid anyway.

I'm thinking that this is between an Amphicat and a Supacat ATMP:

Which I may try to copy in the future.

The main goal was to learn how to make tires, and I think I can reproduce almost any tire now as long as I have the tread pattern and diameter. Even with 0.75mm walls, these tires are pretty sturdy.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
The SUPACAT is a beast of a vehicle for its size. 

Also, did your Space1999 kit come with an extra top half for the 1:24th scale AmphiCats?  I found extra top halves in my kits and wondered if that was intentional or something overlooked from the original release of the kit. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 02:00:19 PM »
Jaime Hood from Round 2 said they included an extra top because their test shots showed that the part on the sprue would occasionally come out warped.

The supacat is a beast - at least the front four (!) wheels steer.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 07:02:04 PM »
Great, now i cant get the Banana Splits theme out of my head

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 10:03:01 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Fa-la-lah! La! La-la! Lah!
Fa-la-lah! La! La-la! Laah!

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:05:14 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 11:43:44 PM »
What a way to start a Friday. Now I have that stupid song stuck in my head. “Thanks” Guy!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 02:46:51 AM »
;D ;D ;D

Fa-la-lah! La! La-la! Lah!
Fa-la-lah! La! La-la! Laah!

;D ;D ;D

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
Every once in a while, a thorough ignorance of popular culture works in my favour. This is obviously one of those times.

Love your scale-o-rama concept Frank! So far, it has thinking about the old Argo 8x8 Centaur  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 01:36:06 AM »
Wow! Thanks for that suggestion. I've never seen the Argo Centaur before, I like that it can use tracks:

or wheels:

It looks about the same size as my re-scaled Amphicat. I think I'll use the cockpit cabin.

It even has a similar tire tread:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:38:10 AM by Frank3k »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 04:06:53 AM »
Glad that was useful Frank.

Your bottom shot is the LMT Gecko 'Rapid Deployment Logistical System' for the South African National Self-Defence Force - based on the Argo Centaur running gear. The SANDF use that 4-wheeled trailer but you'll see 8-wheeled trailers towed behind Centaurs.

I lost almost all my ATV stuff on a previous hard-drive but I used to have a photo of a Centaur bombing along somewhere in central Africa loaded down with kit and troops (irregulars?) with at least one of its wheels missing. Highly flexible little vehicles, these.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 05:09:19 PM »
My apologies to Frank & Greg but I had to share the pain & suffering! :o :-X
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 12:43:22 AM »
Argo?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 01:35:43 AM »
It's coming together as an Argo inspired vehicle, with a square (rather than a trapezoid) cabin. I have some of the bits printing now.

I think I like the "artistic drawing" display option in Rhino3D.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 10:32:24 AM »
I have most of the cab printed and good enough copies. Here it is on the body:

The bumper just clicks in place. I need to clean it up and gently unwarp it. I'll add a styrene shim to cover the gap between the body and the cab (the cab moved - the actual gap/lip looks more like the left hand side than the right):

I cut and reversed the front of the amphicat, so the pins (and plastic) can hold the cab in place once glued. It will also act as the forward cabin floor.:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 11:22:58 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
Looking good! Great that you can print your own parts.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 05:17:17 AM »
What a way to start a Friday. Now I have that stupid song stuck in my head. “Thanks” Guy!

Whereas I feel a profound sense of guilt at the realization that we seem to have inflicted that
horror on the rest of the world. (And strangely, I suddenly remember the original six-wheeler
was available as an item in the old S&H Green Stamps catalog.)

This is pretty darn neat. 

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2020, 08:01:46 AM »
Scale-o-ramaing well to 1/35.   Good move.   Such a cab  :smiley:
Imagine would adapt to being 1/48 or 1/72 with appropriate parts & touches.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »
The included 1/48 version would look great in 1/72!

I'm printing a new cab right now - the one above is OK, but I realized that if I broke it down some more, it would be a cinch to paint, with just basic masking.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 01:47:35 AM »
I was getting ready to paint, when I decided that I needed a better way of building up the cabin interior. So I brought out my vacuformer and used a much thicker sheet of plastic than I normally use. This was a bad, bad idea - the plastic soften nicely, but retained enough heat to soften and distort one side of the lower Amphicat hull.

There was no way of fixing it, so I cut off the lower section, which was unaffected. I had to build a platform for the cabin/cargo area, so I started cutting some styrene. Since I still had plenty of resin in the vat, I also made a 3D platform, with cargo walls. I cut the styrene while I printed in resin - it took just as long.

I think I'll have to call this the 4x4 of Theseus...

I still have to clean the parts a bit before I paint, but here it is slapped together:

I added some styrene diamond plate on the bottom of the hull. The pattern is a little out of scale, but I'll live with it:

Now I'm a little closer to paint...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
An unfortunate setback but looks like a great recovery.  :smiley: