Modelling > Land

Westernising a SCUD TEL

(1/4) > >>

GTX_Admin:
Ok folks,

Suggestions required!  How do I Westernise (or better yet, Americanise) a SCUD TEL?

deathjester:
Hey Greg,

How about...

The front end from a US Army HEMT truck?

Computer controlled drone version?

Drone/ZELL launcher?

An armoured box launcher for a theater ballistic missile?

A larger bore MLRS system?

Ground based antimissile laser system

A railgun artillery system?

Tracked drive system?

'Terracruzer drive sytem'?

jcf:
Tractor from the Atomic Cannon kit or the Terracruzer/Mace kit. I'd go for the latter
Replace the full width cab with a narrowed assymetrical arrangement, like some mobile
cranes. I've also seen them on cement and rubbish trucks.

Use the rest of the body panel and suspension bits attached to a new build frame,
or steal one from a semi kit, to fit out the rest of the vehicle.

Logan Hartke:
The easiest thing, I think, is going to be the camo.  Go with an overall tan or the NATO 3 color.

After that, you can do some structural changes that would do the trick.  First of all, I'd replace the missile nose cone with something more like a Pluton or ATACMS.  Next, I'd do something with the fins.  At least cut them down to be small like a Pershing II.  Alternatively, make the flip out or just eliminate them altogether.

Next (and a relatively simple change), I'd look at armored shutters on the windows, like the MLRS or HIMARS.  That shouldn't be too hard and should really change the appearance.  You may also want to make the right windshield vertical or sloped slightly back just to change the profile.  The forward-angled windshield isn't too common in the West (not as common as Soviet bloc large trucks).

Other ideas that would make it seem less Soviet, but are more difficult:

New tires.  Some wheels more like a Oshkosh product.  Western tires have totally different treads, usually blockier.  The tires themselves also have more vertical walls, typically.

Finally, the most extensive change you can do to "Westernize" the Scud is to hid the missile.  A lot of Western designs put the missile in a box, like the Pluton, ATMOS, Patriot, or MLRS.  Soviets generally exposed it or put it in a tube or leave it exposed (the look cooler in May Day parades).

Cheers,

Logan

Silver Fox:
I'd update the cab by making the right hand side a multi-crew control cab without windows. In back, I would mount a couple of armoured box launchers for ground launch cruise missiles.

Of course... to go really out there..

Replace the missile with a rocket -boosted, multi-stage deep earth penetrator. Something like a GBU-28, something for the Army when the USAF types won't deal with a deep bunker. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version