Author Topic: Just some cool Art Work  (Read 2358 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Just some cool Art Work
« on: November 25, 2020, 08:34:06 PM »
More from the master. Robert McCall. Not sure if this was painted before or after Robert White's space walk.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:38:00 PM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Just some cool Art Work
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 04:27:22 AM »
Via FB.

Text via the artist: Chris French

'The Last Wave'

18th February 1944 - shortly after midday. Flt. Lt. Tom McPhee keeps tight formation behind Sqn. Ldr. A. Ian McRitchie as the two dh Mosquito FB Mk VIs of 464 Squadron RAAF deliver the last of four bombing runs on the prison at Amiens, Northern France. The previous three waves have caused considerable damage and two holes in the outer wall are visible as McRitchie and McPhee run in from the North.

Operation Ramrod 564 (later known as Operation Jericho) was designed to breach the walls of the prison, allowing prisoners to escape and to destroy the guard barracks at each end of the main building. It is thought that the main reason for the action was that French resistance prisoners were being held there by the Gestapo and the allies wanted to prevent them being interrogated and secret allied plans being divulged.

McPhee and his navigator Flt. Lt. Geoff Atkins returned safely to England but McRitchie's aircraft was hit by Flak on the way back killing his navigator Flt. Lt. 'Dick' Sampson and forcing McRitchie to crash land near Freneuville where he was captured, becoming a P.O.W.

I am indebted to the de Havilland Museum, especially Ian T. who helped greatly with the research for this painting.
Oil on canvas 30" x 20"
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...