Author Topic: Star Trek Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 30885 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Star Trek Ideas and Inspiration
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:39:44 AM »
Hi folks,

We already have a thread for Star Wars Ideas and Inspiration, so to be fair we should also have one for Star Trek Ideas and Inspiration...now beam me up Scotty!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Star Trek Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »
They would very authoritative if carrying Tommy Guns.....

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »
My take on the Star Trek universe is quite tame.  I want to model a modern combat aircraft armed with Photon Torpedoes. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Maybe a crazy idea: the Star Fleet Kamikaze Corp who pilot Photon Torpedoes to the target... :-X

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »
Maybe a crazy idea: the Star Fleet Kamikaze Corp who pilot Photon Torpedoes to the target... :-X

That would be a Jem Ha'dar thing.

I often thought that the TV saga of ST could have had more life to it if they had not gone to that prequel in 2001, which effectively buried the franchise for awhile until JJ Abrahms movie rebooted it at the theater.

When DS9 and Voyager wrapped up is where my fanfic begins with a new series. This next one takes place after the Great galactic war is over. Recall that both Romulus after the war and the Klingons were pretty wrung out but politically changed to better leaders. The earth was a part of the battle but was still in business.

The new show "The Academy" starts from there, setting is Earth- both the Academy and space stations. The task is to rebuild the Star fleet as a new integrated force drawing on a huge new talent pool. Adding to the old mix are more Klingons than Micheal Dorn, plus Romulans, Ferenghi, Jem Had'aar, Cardassia and all the rest. Some new races would appear as the anthropomorphs, as well as more humanoids and cyborgs and holographic personnae. The opponents (you need those) the ever - present Borg, and the Beta quadrant- to start with.
   New engineering has allowed travel in all four quadrants without need of wormholes. A completely new class of ships are in place although the old ones are along as well, upgraded to the tasks. It is now possible for single seat craft to range between quadrants and shuttles to reach every corner. Also there are beginnings of exploration to the other galaxies of the local group and out to the Virgo supercluster.

The script would concentrate on bringing up a New Generation of characters wth lots of walk throughs and cameos from all the previous ones, especially the new Engineering instructor at the academy, Miles O'Brien, plus commandant Janeway and Admiral Nog, Ferenghi son of Rom from DS9. Appearances from the original series cast would really fit in well.

The focus would be on this new mix of characters learning a new mix of ships and facing the new challenges. The tone would be a cross between the loftier Next Generation plots and the grittier worlds of DS9 and Voyager. There would be less scripts involving time travel (way overused) and at least one episode in ten where no weapons are fired at all.

Episode one: The great race. The academy engineering department has a contest for graduate students to recruit new cadets and build from scratch high speed ships for a loop around the galaxy speed trial, using parts left over from various starship yards and a ton of surplus craft left over from the wars. Any of you what-iffers getting ideas here?

Engage !!!!!!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:00:52 AM »
Good idea - I can see TV Execs jumping on it too since it allows them to target a new, younger audience potentially (at least that might be one way to sell it to them).  I also like the name, though for some reason I could see it being nicknamed "Starfleet 90210" or similar.

Certainly a seed for some ideas!

Online upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »
I always liked Star Trek best when the battle lines weren't so clear cut.

It's easy enough to take up arms against a nasty alien enemy, like the Dominion in DS9, but what do you do when the enemy is a LOT closer to you and not so easily defined, like the Maquis?

The Dominion was easy to dislike, the Maquis could be sympathised with.

The Maquis and the Cardassians were really what kept my interests in DS9 in it's last few seasons.

The Maquis worked particularly well to give Voyager a strong start. The tension between the Star Fleet and ex Maquis crew members was enough to make it interesting early on.

The Cardassians were one of the more compelling alien races in Star Trek. The old power structures slowly slipping from the grasps of those who still held them, a large section of the population wracked by guilt an a need for attonement to the Bajorans pushing for a better future. They were as much at war with themselves as they were with anyone else.

Gul Dukat was a particularly entertaining character as you never knew what you were going to get from him one episode to the next.

I always thought it was unfortunate that the Cardassians were not featured as protagonists in one of the Star Trek films.

The idea of an expanded Federation that would include Cardassia is quite appealing, not only would it give a reason for the Federation to be in that region of space, it would also allow elements of Cardassian ship design to feature in Star Fleet vessels.

The Cardassian Galor class ship was one of my favorite designs in the Star Trek universe. It just look soooo predatory.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:12 PM »
Great observations, upnorth'... my favorite Cardassian character was Gul D'mar (sp) and how he turned the tables on the Dominion and started the revolution from his mom's basement! You gotta wonder if the writers were sneaking a wry jab at the audience geekdom with that one.  My second favorite was the tailor on DS9.

One thing that really steps forth in the whole Star Trek story is its mirror on earth current politics and history. The original series had plenty of cold war themes thrown in.

The next generation also plus a growing reference to the smaller conflicts and the problems of terrorism. The DS9 series really did put in place a lot of the post-soviet problems like the Balkans and the ex-empires. The Voyager series was all over the map with metaphors, they took a look at everything. The Enterprise series was indeed inclusive of 9-11 and the post-period.

So now the potential of a next series has a lot to draw on as the post-Iraq, post-afghan period and the Arab-Spring era is here.

Everything old is new again, and everything new is newer.

Anyone writing a show has a lot more SFX muscle to draw on, plus a Sci-Fi community ready for new scripts always.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 05:54:39 AM »
....and how he turned the tables on the Dominion and started the revolution from his mom's basement!

That was Garak's (the tailor) basement, not Damar's. Great ep! Had humour despite the pretty desperate situation.

"You never told me you had a mountain hideaway!"

"I was going to suprise you."

Great! I'm going to have to watch it again now!  ???

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
I've long thought of doing a T-Bird in StarFleet colours. Impulse engine in place of the early turbojet, phaser emmiters in place of the twin .50's, and a few other hop ups.

Just the thought of a centuries old plane being used in training gives me a laugh.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »
Silver Fox - welcome and thatz a good concept.  Like to see how its looking when done.

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 01:23:05 AM »
Those wingtip tanks sure look like warp nacelles already too! Neat idea!

Alvis 3.1

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:30 AM »
Neat concept! These retro machines might be part of the junior starfleet programs at high schools to garner cadet candidates. Would likely have display teams and also sky patrols. Of course even more modern machines would be retro then. Could think of a 14 year old Worf flying a updated Su-27 at the Minsk Jr Academy.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 05:44:21 AM »
 With the signal exception of DS 9, I'm more of a TOS fan-which is why I like

The Starfleet Museum

Scads of plan views, color and colour schemes, and back story. Masao Okazaki has
 had some of his design work accepted as quasi-cannonical, having designed the
 titular station of the recent Star Trek:Vanguard series of books.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »
Masao's drawings are great; I made a 3D model of the Nell:

With the thought of printing a copy... but it would be about 10" long in 1/350. It' a more reasonable 3.5" in 1/1000 but still expensive to print. It would probably be even easier and cheaper to scratchbuild out of plastic shapes.

I also want to make his Wasp. I found some plastic hemispheres and tubes at KitKraft that'll work in 1/350.

Offline philp

• Would gladly pay on Tuesday for a Bender today!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 02:31:15 AM »
Hmm.

Join the Federation.

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 03:46:53 AM »
I've long thought of doing a T-Bird in StarFleet colours. Impulse engine in place of the early turbojet, phaser emmiters in place of the twin .50's, and a few other hop ups.

Just the thought of a centuries old plane being used in training gives me a laugh.

Well, in ST4, when he went to check out the Huey, Sulu did say he flew one "back in [his] Academy days"...

I have a bit of my own "althist" for the Trek universe, basically take TOS and the movies, omit ST5 and 6, incorporate elements from the Rihannsu series of books and a few other elements from the FASA interpretation of the Romulans. So basically what you have when you reach TNG is no Worf, but a Romulan exchange officer on the Enterprise-D as the Romulan Empire starts to emerge from its post-civil war seclusion into a sort of alliance with the Federation. When the Borg threat is at its peak, Starfleet adds a batch of Vas'deletham-class destroyers, though only a couple are ready by Wolf 359. By the time of the Dominion War, there's an upgunned version that's entering service, and there's been some further technological exchange as the UFP-RSE alliance strengthens - the UFP trades sensor and materials technology for Romulan cloaking technology and an exclusive right to dilithium mined on RSE planets, since the Galae (Romulan Grand Fleet) - using an artificial singularity as their power source for their starships - has little use for dilithium, their ships lacking a matter/antimatter reactor, they don't need dilithium as a stabiliser.

Just a few random tidbits from there... a big part of what prompts the beginnings of the alliance - apart from the events in the Rihannsu series of books - is a short story idea I've had for a number of years now, in which a world settled by the personnel of two of the fartravel ships lost on the Journey from Vulcan to the new world (which ends up as Romulus and Remus, of course) is discovered. More accurately, they make themselves be discovered. I'll omit the rest of the details, but over the intervening centuries, cut off from the teachings of S'task (the "Father of the Romulans") and the rest of the travellers, a new and distinct society emerges there, one that's a fusion of Romulan and Vulcan, S'task and Surak...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:50 AM »
That would be the Rihansu series by Diane Duane?  Great stuff and a good read.  Her hubby, writer Peter Morwood, is something of a modeller as time permits and his one ST:TOS novel is a recommended read from me.  That it has some interesting concepts that could be modelled is an extra.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 06:23:23 AM »
It would indeed. Probably my favourite of the ST novels. Which book did Peter Morwood write? I'll have to get a copy.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 06:33:09 AM »
"Rules of Engagement" - he works in some very nice bits and his Klingons remind me of the FASA Klingons.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 05:26:37 AM »
Oh dear...

Story

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 06:20:45 AM »
This is the Canadian Borg. You will be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Français, veuillez appuyer le '2'.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 07:36:27 AM »
This is the Canadian Borg. You will be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Français, veuillez appuyer le '2'.

I think you're missing a: "Sorry for the interruption/Désolé pour l'interruption!"  and "Thank you!/ Vous remercier!" somewhere in there.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »
ROFL. Fair point!

Online upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 06:19:15 PM »

"We need to prepare"
"Preparation is irrelevant"

"Commander Riker needs to clean his trombone."
"A clean trombone is irrelevant"

"We still have a full cooler of beer, damn it!"
"Your beer will be assimilated, YOU are irrelevant"
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/