Author Topic: Kotare Models (New Zealand)  (Read 2620 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Kotare Models (New Zealand)
« on: August 20, 2021, 12:39:03 AM »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Kotare Models (New Zealand)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 01:08:59 AM »
 I am glad that WnW will be continuing in some form - hopefully they will consider downscaling some of their releases, but even if they don't, it will be nice to see more WW 1 subjects.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 03:06:16 AM »
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:31:06 AM »
I know they're following on from the Wingnut Wings business model ethos (which was, admittedly, quite successful) but I think they'd be better off not aiming at the high end of the market.

Even if they focus on the larger scales, at least do 1/48 versions so they get a bigger market & more cash through the tills.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 10:41:44 AM »
This is exciting for me because Alan Deere lived in my hometown for much of his childhood, went to my high school, and I know his nephew. This is a must-buy for me.

I listened to the latest episode of the Australian podcast On The Bench (link - do yourself a favour* and skip to 30min from the end) and they have an interview with Richard Alexander. Some bullet points regarding the Spitfire:

- not at test shots stage yet otherwise would be more concrete with release schedule
- when asked about oilcanning etc Richard said surface detail "makes" the real aeroplane
- no indication of PE as the kit should be able to be built OOB, maybe some ancillary accessories later but too early to tell
- an engine adds a huge amount of complexity, there is a market for that but it cuts out people who want to just do one they saw
- number of decal options has been decided on but not ready to say, except Kiwi as on box art
- multiple boxings? "Want to milk it for all it's worth"!
- at the moment no wheels-up option but as part of the design process modelled compressed and uncompressed oleos and retraction to see how it fits

*I'm not a regular listener, this is the second one I've downloaded - the first was also for a Richard Alexander interview. Interesting how the hosts have a light-hearted whinge, and are always surprised, about Richard not telling them about what's next....almost as though they were unware of Wingnut Wings (and now Kotare) policy!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 07:42:56 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 01:11:52 PM »
I know they're following on from the Wingnut Wings business model ethos (which was, admittedly, quite successful) but I think they'd be better off not aiming at the high end of the market.

Even if they focus on the larger scales, at least do 1/48 versions so they get a bigger market & more cash through the tills.

1/32nd is currently the hot market and it doesn’t show signs of slowing.
The realities of modern kit engineering and mould making means there’s no
longer a huge difference in costs based on scale.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:32:18 AM »
1/32nd is currently the hot market and it doesn’t show signs of slowing.
The realities of modern kit engineering and mould making means there’s no
longer a huge difference in costs based on scale.

And as the demographic ages, and eyesight dims, we need larger things to work on.  ;D ;D ;D
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 01:31:35 AM »
Ain't that the truth...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 08:58:14 AM »
​A nice CAD image of the Spitfire's cockpit has been posted on Facebook by the Kotare team:
K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia cockpit detail.
In development for release later in 2022.
See more at www.kotare-models.com

Kotare Spit cockpit CAD by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 11:06:33 AM »
An update via email:

Back in September 2021, when we announced K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) was going to be available before the end of 2022, we were pretty sure that this timeline would work out OK. And it very nearly did. But unfortunately it didn’t. Numerous factors have contributed to this, but the main ones are:

1 - The final pre-production samples showed up a few areas that we felt we needed to improve (mostly fit, but some details) before we considered it good enough to release, because you deserve nothing less than the very best quality model that we can provide. Unfortunately, this took a lot longer than we expected.

2 - Various Covid related delays in China which have had some surprising affects to the supply chain etc. In particular is has proven a lot more difficult to get the high quality Cartograf decals delivered from Italy to the factory in China.         

3 - The pre-order response (and the response from our international distribution partners) has proven to be even more enthusiastic than we expected. This is a good problem to have, but the result is a much larger production run than we initially planned for, and this in turn takes a lot more time.    

For all these reasons it now looks like K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) will not now be available to ship until February/March 2023, with stock arriving at international distribution partners in due course. The biggest deciding factor in whether it will be February or March will be how much production can be completed before China closes down for Chinese New Year in mid-January. We hope you will understand.

As an additional reward for our pre-order customers, we have added a free gift of 32P001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid & Late) 3Dprint exhausts for each K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) pre-order (this includes existing pre-orders and future pre-orders right up until the actual release date). This is in addition to the exclusive free Darryl Legg box art print suitable for framing. We expect to have 32P001 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid & Late) 3Dprint exhausts available separately later in 2023 with an expected MSRP of US$12.99.

Please note that customers placing pre-orders through www.kotare-models.com are assured to amongst the very first people in the world to receive their K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) model (and art print and exhausts). In almost all cases this will be well ahead of our international distribution partners.

We have also updated the instructions on our website to represent the final print version.
https://www.kotare-models.com/products/k32001-132-spitfire-mkia-mid

Of course, anyone wishing to cancel a previously placed pre-order can do so for a refund. Please simply email help@kotare-models.com and we’ll do that for you, but pleased understand that there might be a bit of a delay in processing these requests.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Cheers
Richard
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 03:24:56 AM »
She's out, and a build of this kit is going together over at Large Scale Planes and the detail is as gorgeous as previously shown. In addition the dry-fit looks to be superb.

I knew I was going to get one of these but now it's truly inevitable. Goddamnit  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 03:52:28 AM »
A Britmodeller member has shared a very in-depth inbox preview of the kit here.
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2023, 07:41:01 AM »
I wrote an inbox review of the kit which can be read here. Spoiler alert: it's great! I'm sharing my build thread at the same site here.
Zac in NZ