Author Topic: Martin Baker MB6 Long Ranger  (Read 38292 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Martin Baker MB6 Long Ranger
« on: February 03, 2018, 11:46:15 PM »
OK, I was having thoughts about joining this GB, but I've already hit a snag. I've been looking at the MB6 I have and already see that some of it will have to be changed. I like the night fighter idea the boxing has but then the cockpit is so cramped I don't think it would have been like that (been looking at Meteor Mk.11 night fighters to see what was used back then). Also I think it needs to have an engine upgrade to a Sabre and then those wing tip tanks --- the paint schemes on the box sort of show something different to what you find in the box so they will get changed.

I plan on making some castings of an engine I already been putting together for a Sabre VII powered Hawker Fury plus some castings of the radar panel from out of the Meteor box (I intend to build the Meteor OOB someday) and some different wing tip tanks (it will get underwing tanks too). So my snag is  ----- the catalyst for adding to the RTV rubber I have is caput ----- and I can't find any more in town at the moment. I'll see how long it takes to find a new bottle of the catalyst before I go any further with this project.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:07:00 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
Re: Martin Baker MB6 Long Ranger
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »
Made a decision, because I'm not able to get a bottle of catalyst for sometime apparently, I'm going to use the parts I had made for the other projects on this one without making a copy of them. I'll start afresh on those other projects later as I know how to do it.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the previously made parts which I hope doesn't contravene the rules. This will be the Napier Sabre VIII which was tested with a contra-prop according to the noted aviation author, Phil Butler. He told me he had seen a photo of it when he was researching other stuff at Kew.

The idea here is this MB6 Long Ranger was more a interdictor than a night fighter. When I first looked at the kit my thoughts were it has to haul a lot more weight around, what with the two crew and all the radar gear and extra fuel tanks so needed a much more powerful engine. And seeing as the MB5 was a development of the MB3 which was powered by a Napier Sabre, it seemed to me an obvious choice to make this one Sabre powered.  I've read that the Sabre VII and VIII were 3000+hp engines and that Napier had bench tested some Sabre VII's to 5500hp, so I'm thinking a production variant could have been around 4000hp. So that's what I'm going with here.

This is what I have made so far a few years ago, the new engine nacelle. It was intended for the Hawker Fury prototype LA610. There's photos on the internet showing the real one flying with the Sabre VII.  I also started on a contra-prop with two 4-blade propellers, I figure if the Wyvern got the same with an engine of about the same power, that's what I'll go with for this one. I have to finish the contra-prop as I had only trial fitted the parts to see if the idea on making would work.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:27:00 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
Pics of the AZ Models kit, top ones of the front and back of the box, last one of the bits. The box art sort of show the wing tanks as being quite large, but what you get in the box are two really skinny tanks which look odd. I'm going to use some Shackleton wing tip tanks and you can see in the parts pic I've tested it on the wing tip.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
In my stash I have four Falcon vacuform MB5's, the Falcon kit is reputed to be a good representation of the MB5 so I did some comparing with the one to the AZ Models kit. The AZ kit is practically the same ----

Interestingly, I found the cross section of the MB5 fuselage at the engine bulkhead/engine mounting point, is almost the same as the Hawker Fury so what I made for the Fury works quite well for this project.

Here's a pic of the Fury LA610 with the engine nacelle. I should point out that the MB5 is a large aircraft, about the same size as a Tempest/Fury or a P-47. Bottom pic shows a comparison of the three

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:55:48 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
Interesting...
I did not know this MB6 kit, nor the "true" MB6 (scale 1 project), thanks!
(Google seems to fail finding a site talking of the MB6, even if Google pictures finds many profiles of it)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:31:21 PM »
Putting a lot of thought into this!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
Interesting...
I did not know this MB6 kit, nor the "true" MB6 (scale 1 project), thanks!
(Google seems to fail finding a site talking of the MB6, even if Google pictures finds many profiles of it)

It's a 'What-If' right out of the box by AZ Models Tophe, there was no such thing of course. Myself I think the RAF would have had a name for the aircraft and it would in reality have been called 'name-NF.1'  Wondering what type of name it would have got would be pure speculation, but it probably would've been something weird if you go by what was suggested for very late model Spitfires.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 12:34:05 AM »
Putting a lot of thought into this!

:icon_meditation: :icon_meditation: :icon_meditation:       ;D

And it was going to be OOB build too ------    :icon_crap:

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 02:03:28 AM »
Thanks for the explanation! :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »
Nice concept

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
Cool threesome. 8)  Center does look fastest.  You have the touch.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 04:23:12 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 04:30:55 AM »
It's progressing along quite well, got the wings together and started with what I need to change. Cut the kit engine cowling off and modified the one I'm putting on, it just needed a bit of shortening at the cockpit end.  I've also modified the canopy I'm going to use. I had to sort this out so I can determine the total useable length of the cockpit tub. The front part I've left as it is, but the rear part will be raised up from where the kit has it, I'm trying to understand the reasoning of where AZ placed it as it's set well down into the fuselage. But looking at drawings of cutaways there's a lot of important equipment right there which you can't just move somewhere else. I've raised the fin and rudder too.

The bottom pic is a comparison between the MB5/6 to a Spitfire T Mk.21 (which will probably be joining the 'Clear your Bench GB shortly)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:32:28 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
Man that's awesome !!! :-*
Alex

Offline finsrin

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
Appreciate point by point by picture briefing. :smiley:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 09:29:10 PM »
Thanks guys.  In the AZ box you get quite a few spare parts, for instance there's a new sprue for all that's needed to made 'their' version of a two-seater, but all the single-seater parts are all there, including a spare fuselage.

There's two types of fin/rudder to choose from, one is a short one with a broad chord rudder, the other is a tall one with short chord rudder. I'm using the tall one but I'm making it taller still.

There's two types of tail planes, one type is like what you see in most drawing but there's a pair of really small ones.  I haven't read anywhere that the MB5 had originally these small area tail planes, fin/rudder yes but not the tail planes. Be interesting if someone knows different. There's also an enlarged carburetor intake duct for under the nose, not sure if that was intended in real life but it's now in the spares box.

I spent a bit of time filling in the gap that's at the bottom of the new cowling but now needs to wait until I've finished inside the fuselage before I can glue it on. On the Fury, this gap is filled by part of the wing. Even though I shortened the cowling to fit onto the MB6, it's still the same length as the cowling I cut off. I'm reasoning that the extra weight of the engine counters all the extra weight of the radar gear and second crew member which I'm moving backwards in the fuselage even further than what AZ has theirs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:35:30 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 03:40:17 AM »
Top pic here shows how AZ have intended the rear cockpit to be located, deep into the fuselage with hardly any room for the pilot and equipment. Next two pics show what I've changed it to, and the last one is just how much you see of it all anyway ---   ;D  I used some of the Matchbox Meteor parts for the radar equipment. And I think the armour plate head rest is missing for the pilot, I'll have to make something up as there's nothing in the box for it.

I'll get the interior painted up next but probably won't be until the weekend now, back to three 12 hour shifts starting tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:45:03 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 05:09:41 AM »
That is sharp as a razor!  8) Looks sleek and fast
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »
Got the cockpit painted up and then glued the fuselage together remembering to put the tail wheel in first   ;)
Then glued the fin/rudder and the Sabre engine cowling on.  With just a wiff of putty for the first go around

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »
Then I glued the two parts of the canopy together, here's another view of the fuselage with props and canopy added for look see's.

The fin extension works out to 1 scale foot taller.

Fortunately, the new cowling is close in cross-section to the MB6 fuselage at the join point, not  a lot of putty was needed.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
That's looking good! 8)

Excellent method of extending the tail, too. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
As Old Wombat said !

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Thanks guys --

Got the wings and tail plane on now

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
couple more

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 10:07:01 PM »
Aggressive looking bird! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:44 PM »
Thanks Guy.

It's beginning to look like how I thought it might with a Sabre engine. My next one I'll do will have a Centaurus engine. Another I'm thinking of is a different Griffon installation, one like a Firefly Mk.IV as you can see on the port side of this F-82. The earlier Firefly I've read had a "standard" Griffon power egg (it had a beard radiator) so I can see this later cowling being one too. It fits the F-82 quite well.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 05:44:57 AM »
Have the nack for seeing right plastic surgery moves and doing them so well.
Final iteration of prop aircraft have a refined look that registers with me.  Not something easily put into words, but its here in your builds.  Is cool. 8)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:42:41 AM by finsrin »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 06:21:23 AM »
Thanks Bill, I really appreciate your kind words.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:55 AM »
Your MB6 is the very definition of sleek, Robert!

I just love watching the maestro at work!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:20 AM »
Thanks Brian ----

Anyway, I did another round of PSR, filling in all the joints where needed (not very good kit on the fitting of parts score). Once that was done got a base coat of paint on it. Still needs a bit of putty in a couple of spots, the paint shows up the spots quite easily   :-X

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:25:54 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 12:40:01 AM »
But I've decided to change the scope of it's operations.  Instead of it being a 'long-range night-fighter' I think I'll do it as a 'long-range night intruder'.  The idea now it would work very deep into enemy territory creating havoc for seemingly ""safe"' areas for the enemy.

So I got thinking of what it would need for weapons (apart from the 20mm's). I remembered something I'd seen in one of my books, Spitfire by Alfred Price. It was of a Spiteful which had a 180 Gal. center drop tank and also had four of what the caption said was "Triplex rockets with a 7.5" artillery shell for a war head powered by three 3" RP-3 rocket motors.  Just what the doctor ordered I think ----

So I decided to have a go at making them. These pics are of my 'practice' run at it but I need to refine it a bit. I had found some round styrene rod that scales out to about 4" diameter, it really should be 3 1/2" but this was close enough in 1/72 scale. I then found some round-ish sprue that scaled to about 8" diameter.

But what I need to know is what the length of a 7.5" shell is, it would be a British one though. But I can't find anything on the internet about it, there's a 7.2" shell but still no info on dimensions

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 12:41:53 AM »
I had also cleaned up the rear propeller, I had to add a small donut shaped spacer to the rear of the spinner and then fill in the gaps in front of the blades

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 01:32:15 AM »
The 7.2"/7.5" discrepancy may be attributable to an aircraft "expert" writing about an element of a subject beyond his field of knowledge (field artillery) or a typo.

I'm unaware of any allied artillery of 7.5" calibre but the British 7.2" howitzer was a common artillery piece & lots of ammunition would have been available; I'd go with that as your shell size.

Quote from: http://nigelef.tripod.com/72inchsheet.htm
Standard HE Shell Mk 3D
Length (less fuze): 35.07  inches (fuze probably added a couple of inches to the length)
Calibre radius head: 5/10
Body Diameter: 7.185  inches
Driving Band Diameter: 7.47 inches
Weight (incl fuze): 202 lbs
Explosive Weight: 28 lbs

http://nigelef.tripod.com/72inchsheet.htm

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:14 AM »
I just wanted to say it's always a treat for me to see your updates, Robert!

Your well-engineered builds are a joy to follow.

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 02:53:15 AM »
Thanks very much guys ----

7.2" it is then   :smiley:

EDIT:

So here's another question, was there only one type of 7.2" shell ?  reason I ask is now I've found a photo of a shell (albeit a model of one), I see that the shell has a separate bagged charge for the propellant. The photo of the Triplex rocket doesn't seem to show a shell as long as 35", it could be an optical illusion because the photo is quite dark and doesn't really show where the bottom end of the shell is. But it would explain why the rocket looks quite long if it has standard RP-3 rocket motors for a power source.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:20:27 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »
Only the howitzer round, which came with bagged charges.

The only other option I can find for the warhead is from the US 7.2" Demolition Rocket (think Sherman calliope).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.2-Inch_Demolition_Rocket
http://michaelhiske.de/Allierte/USA/OrdnancePamphlets/OP1664/Volume01/Part02/Chapter05/Section04/Section04_13.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T34_Calliope

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 11:33:34 PM »
Triplex Rocket.1

To Guy's measurements  --- and it looks more like the photo now so the Brit 7.2" probably was the one. On top of that I had a re-read of the Alfred Price book ---- and it says 7.2   :-X  not 7.5 I thought I had read   :-[

Both the motors and the shell are a little bit bigger than what the scale should be. Couple of reasons for that, some round styrene I have matched one of the hole punches I have. So the motor diameters are about 4" and the shell is nearer 8"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:38:04 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »
So, a mental typo. ;)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
Apparently    :-\

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 12:14:38 AM »
Weaver (Harald) has found some photos of a Triplex RP that still exists. I need to revise where the fins go on mine.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:01 AM »
Pretty good job, though, & the fix will make them even better! :smiley:

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 10:16:07 AM »
But I've decided to change the scope of it's operations.  Instead of it being a 'long-range night-fighter' I think I'll do it as a 'long-range night intruder'.  The idea now it would work very deep into enemy territory creating havoc for seemingly ""safe"' areas for the enemy.

So I got thinking of what it would need for weapons (apart from the 20mm's). I remembered something I'd seen in one of my books, Spitfire by Alfred Price. It was of a Spiteful which had a 180 Gal. center drop tank and also had four of what the caption said was "Triplex rockets with a 7.5" artillery shell for a war head powered by three 3" RP-3 rocket motors.  Just what the doctor ordered I think ----

So I decided to have a go at making them. These pics are of my 'practice' run at it but I need to refine it a bit. I had found some round styrene rod that scales out to about 4" diameter, it really should be 3 1/2" but this was close enough in 1/72 scale. I then found some round-ish sprue that scaled to about 8" diameter.

But what I need to know is what the length of a 7.5" shell is, it would be a British one though. But I can't find anything on the internet about it, there's a 7.2" shell but still no info on dimensions

Robert,

Your 7.2" artillery projectile is very close to 180mm (182mm and change) which in 1:72nd scale gives you some room to fudge things just a bit.  You should also consider searching for a suitable projectile by expanding your search to include 1:35th scale ammunition sets where you can find several types of ammunition for the 90mm or 88mm gun that might be ideal for your purposes.  The less detail, the better with the 1:35th scale subject as it needs to represent something else in 1:72nd scale. 

If the rocket motors on the Triplex are comprised of 3-3.0"/76mm motors then you should be able to use existing 1:72nd scale 3.0" RP shapes for the source of your rocket motors. 

Hopefully this assists you in achieving your goals. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 10:19:44 PM »

Robert,

Your 7.2" artillery projectile is very close to 180mm (182mm and change) which in 1:72nd scale gives you some room to fudge things just a bit.  You should also consider searching for a suitable projectile by expanding your search to include 1:35th scale ammunition sets where you can find several types of ammunition for the 90mm or 88mm gun that might be ideal for your purposes.  The less detail, the better with the 1:35th scale subject as it needs to represent something else in 1:72nd scale. 

If the rocket motors on the Triplex are comprised of 3-3.0"/76mm motors then you should be able to use existing 1:72nd scale 3.0" RP shapes for the source of your rocket motors. 

Hopefully this assists you in achieving your goals.

Thanks Jeff  :smiley:  I did consider other scales for a shell head, thing is, I'd have to wait to order anything and I want to get on with this one.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 03:48:51 AM »
Progress ---- I've got the main coat of paint on. I'll give it a sand down with wet&dry, then another final coat of Medium Sea Grey.  The disruptive colour for the top side will be something different though, not the dark green the night fighters got late in the war. I've got an idea which I'll see if it will work.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:54:15 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 04:02:35 AM »
I've also made a discovery about the kit while I was painting it. AZ Models haven't included a radiator duct outlet --- even if the rear flap was in the closed position it would still have a gap for the outlet ----  ???

It should have something like this, which it doesn't.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2018, 01:03:35 AM »
I discovered that AZ had omitted the inner wheel bay doors too plus the shape of the bay at the wheel end of it is the wrong shape. I've had to rectify those two things.

Got some painting done with the idea I've had running through my head for sometime now.  After traveling at night while going on vacations, I noticed the way the ground looks like with intermittent clouds passing by, I thought it might be a good night fighter scheme to try. Anyway here's a few pics of the idea, I still have to wet&dry sand it and apply another coat but you can get an idea of it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:31:40 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2018, 01:04:45 AM »
I decided to leave the figures out (save them for other projects) so canopy is glued on, radiator exit door added and sorted out how I'm going to do the undercarriage and wheel bay modifications. In this pic you can see how the wheel bay should look like on the left side of the pic. You can see where I cut the tops of the u/c legs off, glued them into place and then drilled them out so I can angle the u/c legs forward. You can't do that with how the kit has the parts to go in.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:07:26 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2018, 12:45:42 AM »
Painting the main scheme is done

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »
And here's the RP's that are going on it.  I didn't have any Brit Army 'bronze green', but I think once a coat of clear vanish goes on they will look a little better.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 07:16:08 AM »
All bits & pieces are now on and it's one it's wheels. Painting is done so just the decals to do, probably on the weekend.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
I really like the look of that camo scheme, Robert!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2018, 08:01:22 AM »
The triplex RP's came out really well! 8)

The paint scheme in the first 3 photo's looks like black-green on white, which would be an awesome Norwegian fjords scheme. :D

Still not personally turned on by the grey but it's a great pattern & the build is brilliant. :smiley: :smiley:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2018, 08:02:33 AM »
Wow Robert! Tres bien!

Can't wait to build my MB.6.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
Thanks guys, and I've just realized something  ---- I've just finished a model ---  :-\  well almost, just the decals to go on.

Guy, the bottom view and the other three, it's all the same grey. The flash seems to make it very light coloured for some reason.  The black-green is actually Glossy Sea Blue (Humbrol H181). Once the decals are on I'll take some pics in natural daylight, probably on the weekend.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:09:59 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
Guy, the bottom view and the other three, it's all the same grey. The flash seems to make it very light coloured for some reason.  The black-green is actually Glossy Sea Blue (Humbrol H181). Once the decals are on I'll take some pics in natural daylight, probably on the weekend.

Yeah, I knew that from the earlier photo's, mate, but those 3 photo's look like a black-green on white scheme, which I think looks great. :D :smiley: ;)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 06:14:05 AM »
Nicely modeled , love the colour scheme, the rockets are impressive :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »
Thanks Mog

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »

The paint scheme in the first 3 photo's looks like black-green on white, which would be an awesome Norwegian fjords scheme. :D

I might go along with that Guy, night ship raiding the fjords. Maybe further up the coast ----

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2018, 09:41:10 AM »
I like it ;)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Re: Martin Baker MB6 Long Ranger - Done
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2018, 05:38:03 AM »
So I've finished the build, first one for a long time.  Right to the end though, still some problems. This time with the decals. The blue in the kit's roundels is way too blue, had to substitute them with some roundels from a Freightdog sheet I have.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:42:52 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 05:39:19 AM »
Few more and showing with the MB5 Prototype

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 01:05:36 AM »
Looks great.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 01:46:43 AM »
Thanks Greg, buzzbomb

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 05:33:52 PM »
She's a beauty, Robert!

There's something almost mesmerizing about that wonderful camouflage!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
Thanks BdB 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2018, 06:54:21 PM »
Nice! :smiley: :smiley:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
Thanks Guy.  And thanks for the ""fjord"" idea. I'm calling this done right now and after the GB has been declared 'Finished', I'm going to add some ship "kill" markings under the German "kill" markings. I drew up some shapes but I've got to get them printed by my friend in the UK and it will take some time before I get them as they're very small and would be a total waste of materials to print by themselves. They're going to be in white which my printer can't print.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »

There's two types of fin/rudder to choose from, one is a short one with a broad chord rudder, the other is a tall one with short chord rudder. I'm using the tall one but I'm making it taller still.

Well I thought I had made this taller ---- but while cleaning the models in my cabinet over the weekend, I just happened to notice that it is still the same size as the Airframe vacuform kit I built years ago. And that kit I had compared with 1/72 scale drawings in the Aircraft of the Fighting Powers book before I had built it. Plus I know I didn't extend the fin on it too. Very strange -----

Offline finsrin

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
Is bad ass last gen prop fighter.   :smiley:
Not taken lightly by first gen jet fighter pilots.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »
Thanks Bill ---

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2018, 11:21:47 PM »
I had forgotten about this build Robert.

A most excellent idea and execution.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2018, 11:48:53 PM »
Thanks Carl ---