Author Topic: The Chi-Korean Trimotor Bomber - A Very Yellow Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

The Ford Trimotor is a legendary aircraft from aviation's Golden Age.

Far less remembered are those few foreign variants produced under license, such as this militarized example from the Chi-Korean Air Force.

Cozily nestled between China and Korea, the tiny republic of Chi-Korea was determined to become a modern, technologically advanced nation.

In 1930 they obtained a license to build Ford Trimotors and undertook production at a plant in Dim Sum not far from Chow Mein.

This Trimotor was initially conceived as a float plane, but that was changed as Chi-Korea is land-locked. The first (and only) Chi-Korean Trimotor entered service with the national airline in 1931.

Regular flights from the Chi-Korean capital of Ban Chan had hardly begun when the small country began to suffer attacks by well-armed bandit gangs controlled by rogue Chinese war lords. After the aircraft factory was destroyed by one of these attacks, the commander of the Chi-Korean Air Force became determined to take action.

Air Generalissimo "Chick" Korea  commandeered the Trimotor and militarized it by adding a gun turret and an elctro-servo mechanism so the cargo holds in the wings could be automatically lowered for use as makeshift bomb bays.

Unfortunately there were many shortages in Chi-Korea, and paint stocks were practically non-existent. As it was impossible to completely remove the Trimotor's civil registration and airline logos by sanding, the aircraft was covered with the only paint available in quantity, Yellow Primer #6.

This made it hard to miss and the Trimotor was widely photographed as Air Generalissimo "Chick" Korea flew patrols in search of the bandits.

The aircraft's fuselage code 705 was added in hopes of deceiving the enemy into thinking there were over seven hundred of the things.

As 1931 was a slow news year, "Chick" Korea and his Trimotor became a bit of a media darling, if only briefly. The press dubbed the three engined, spatted bomber as the Yellow Peril and the name kind of stuck, at least to those few who can remember it.

While "Chick" Korea was successful in chasing off smaller bandit gangs by the sheer intimidation factor of the Yellow Perils' spatted landing gear alone, the largest, most heavily armed gang which destroyed the aircraft factory remained elusive.

Finally, after a couple of months, spies reported the bandit gang was preparing to raid the border town of Nokdumuk. "Chick" Korea and the Yellow Peril would be ready for them.

The Yellow Peril flew over the raiders and unleashed its devastating payload on the unfortunate miscreants below. While no explosions were forthcoming, the munitions nevertheless worked and the enemy were completely incapacitated.

Chi-Korean militia quickly rounded up the hapless and helpless bandits. The tiny land of Chi-Korea now seemed on the verge of a bright and prosperous future.

However that would not last as Chi-Korea was subsumed by the Japanese juggernaut that would soon engulf Asia.

"Chick" Korea barely escaped with his life and ended out in the U.S. The multi-talented former Air Generalissimo eventually not-quite made a name for himself as a musician.

His greatest hit was a dual effort with Jazz bassoonist Herbie Handsox. 1961's With a Splash of Yellow on the ABJ (Amigo Bad Jazz) label almost charted at #5001. One critic wrote that the 42 minute 3 second LP was far too long-play and would be vastly improved if shortened by 42 minutes.

No record of "Chick" Korea exists after that musical debacle which is rather fitting since nothing is left of the Yellow Peril either except this model kit which was sold only in Seoul hobby shops in 1979.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:24:41 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Chi-Korean Trimotor Bomber - A Very Yellow Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 06:24:39 AM »
This all started with a venerable Airfix Ford Trimotor a good friend sent me a while back (thanks a million, hamsterman!) Isn't that box art great? You can almost smell the exhaust fumes.

They sure don't make 'em like that any more. If you need proof of that statement, just look inside the box.

I was absolutely thrilled to get this kit. It's been on my bucket list and I don't think it was widely marketed here in the U.S. since this is the first time I've ever seen one in person. Building it was a bit complex as the fuselage comes in four parts. Luckily, I came across a couple of builds online done by some fine English chaps and I learned the fuselage interior is a critical, load-bearing part of the assembly. The floor and bulkheads keep everything together but you can leave out the seats thank goodness.

And here's a bit of model bondage for you showing everything all clamped up waiting for the superglue to take hold.

I can't imagine how one got this built back in the day using just tube glue. You'd need at least three hands to pull it off.

Since I'd never built this kit before, I kept the mods simple. I swapped out the kit landing gear for spats from a Val, added a spare cowling to the nose, rounded off the rudder, and then put the cherry on top in form of a gun blister.

The blister was a left-over piece of smash-forming I did a long time ago and was attached with a lot of Elmer's glue. The gun was a spare part from the kit.

The model was painted by hairy stick with acrylics, Polly Scale Cat Whisker Yellow mostly. The clear parts were tinted with Model Masters Insignia Blue and the engines and gun finished in Gunmetal. Aluminum was used on the prop blades.

Those Chi-Korean markings are made up of three decals, the Chinese roundels from an Airfix P-40 with wheel covers in the middle and all of that over-laid on Japanese hinomarus.

I had a blast on this project which took about two weeks.

Here's a few shots that show the difference between flash and no flash.

and a couple more...

The vagaries of lighting never cease to amaze me.

It was a real treat for me to finally build one of these. I've been wanting one for years!

Here's a bonus shot showing off that incredibly intimidating, spatted landing gear. Aren't you scared? I know I am...

I hope you enjoyed the story of "Chick" Korea and his Yellow Peril and reading a little more from the forgotten, dusty, dog-eared and yellowed pages of ignominious aircraft history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:32:13 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »
Nice model and backstory, looks better than the bomber derivative Ford proposed to the USAAC.

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:48:59 AM »
Another winner from the BdB world history of aviation.  Did C-K have any fighter cover for it's bomber force? Like licence built Fiat CR 32 types or Fokker D21s?
Obviously the spats on those are nowhere near as scary as the Dim-Sum destroyer, but they do have them.

Nice paint job btw, these corrugated types can sometimes look like they were painted with a erm, Spatula, ahem.

More please Brian,
Ian
 :-*
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:07:20 AM »
The cream colored tri-motor is just perfect for a banana bamboo republic air force!  The roundels are clever; I was wondering where you got them!
If that kit was anything like the horrible MPC 1/72 Ju-52, then my hat's off to you, Brian!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:41:54 AM »
Nice model, and featuring big spats of course! :)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »
Can't be sure how close color is to original yellow primer #6.  Regardless, it looks the part.
Clever of Chick Korea to use inexpensive disabling light weight ordnance.  Can carry a lot without overloading Trimotor.  Appreciate the enlightenment. :)
Blue window paint works fine and canopy lines are distinct.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 03:38:57 AM »
You've done it again, Old Man!  ;D Brilliant stuff! And I agree with Evan: definitely a vast improvement on the RW version.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 07:22:25 AM »
Very cool