Author Topic: The Curtiss Tomahawk in SAAF Service - A Stony Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

The South African Air Force's contribution to Allied victory in W.W. II is indeed incalculable. Perhaps no unit typified the SAAF's fighting spirit more than No. 2 Squadron.

While their exploits today are the stuff of legend, quite forgotten is how they got their start. Initially, they were equipped with Curtiss Tomahawk Is which were imported directly from the U.S.A. Disappointed by the light armament, the South Africans improved this by swapping out the inboard .30 cal. wing guns for 21.3 m.m. Bofors auto-cannon.

The up-gunned Tomahawks were assigned to No. 2 Fighter Sqn. who were soon shipped off to North Africa. Feeling quite ready to take on all and sundry, the pilots of no. 2 Sqn. SAAF looked forward to getting their new birds into the war.

Initially painted in U.S. equivalent colors for the RAF temperate land scheme, new desert camouflage guidelines were ordered to all units under RAF command in AMO A.514/41 which directed that Green be replaced with a tan shade known as Middle Stone.

AMO A.514/41 was sent by radio to No. 2 Sqn. SAAF and the transmission quality was far from ideal.

The message was garbled and fraught with static. The poor SAAF radio operator was on his own sussing out what it said.

After puzzling over just what in the heck the RAF meant by "Field" Stone, No. 2 Sqn. ground crew came up with an answer in the form of some captured German Feldgrau paint stocks that had been mis-labeled with an inaccurate translation.

Thus in August 1941 so adorned did the No. 2 Sqn. SAAF take to the air against the Axis.

While the darker scheme complimented the orange in the South African markings nicely, it stuck out like a sore thumb against the sandy desert. This is the opposite of what good camouflage is supposed to achieve.

However, being visible wasn't going to temper No. 2 Sqn.'s aggressiveness by a long shot. They threw their Tomahawks with abandon across the North African sky, decimating the enemy with fire from their 21.3 m.m. Bofors cannon in screaming diving attacks.

Eventually Axis pilots learned it was best to avoid the gaudy South Africans and turned tail immediately upon sight of that fearsome "Field" Stone camo.

This caused problems. On Sept. 18th, Schtukaschturmstaffel XCVII's 38 Stukas all retreated in a blind panic upon mis-identifying freshly arrived J/G LXVII's Me-109s. The Messerschmitts wore only factory Feldgrau as they hadn't had time to be given the standard Luftwaffe desert scheme of incomprehensible Reichs Luft Ministrei or RLM numbers yet.

RAF High Command tried to end No. 2 Sqn.'s confusion, but by the time they could get the top bananas in theatre, what was on paper a liability turned out to be a combat advantage.

No. 2 Sqn. SAAF managed to rack up an impressive slate of victories as well as a loss rate of 50 to 1 which was, ironically, Las Vegas odds against Allied victory as 1941 drew to a close.

This aircraft with its distinctive Springbok nose art is a fine example of the fighting spirit of No. 2 Sqn. SAAF.

Always willing to take the war to the enemy against the greatest of odds, No. 2 Sqn. would be no small force in kicking the Axis off the African continent.

By late 1942, No. 2 Sqn. SAAF was re-equipped with more modern types as well as a printed copy of AMO A.514/41 which doomed the initimidating "Field" Stone camo scheme to ignominy.

Utterly forgotten today, once No. 2 Sqn. SAAF's colorful Tomahawks swept the African skies before them.

No examples of these unusually painted Tomahawks exist today save for a lone piece of artwork in Ocean Spray's "South African Air Force WW II Schemes in Color". While considered purely speculative by most experts, those on the fringe keep insisting this camouflage really was.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 02:06:46 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Curtiss Tomahawk in SAAF Service - A Stony Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 12:36:00 AM »
This all started with the wonderful 1/72 Airfix Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 (Tomahawk I, P-40B/C). Doesn't that box art just get your blood pumping?

Not only is the box great, but the kit inside is by far the best 1/72 scale P-40 out there in my opinion. It's very intelligently engineered and goes together easily, no filler needed. Of course, mine was going to be a little bit different, starting with the markings.

This fantastic decal sheet is from the Sword "Long Tail" P-40K twin kit combo pack. Not only was this a total bargain, but it also comes with those eye-catching South African markings. One doesn't see orange on P-40s often, that's for sure. I especially like that "Springbok over Africa" nose art. Speaking of which, here's a couple of close-ups.

Please keep in mind, these photos are a few times larger than the genuine article and luckily some blemishes are less apparent actual size.

This is a pretty simple whiff, but fun in a "spot the errors" kind of way. I snapped off and lost one of the inner wing guns during construction which led to turning landing gear struts into those 21.3 m.m. Bofors cannon. Those complimentary under-wing gun fairings are shell collectors swiped from a Monogram P-36.

The model was painted by hairy stick in acrylics, Model Masters Feldgrau and Poly Scale Building Brown on the uppers and Model Masters RLM something Lichtblau underneath mostly. The canopy was tinted in Insignia Blue and prop blades finished in Aluminum or 'Aluminium' if you prefer. Guns were done with Model Masters Gun Metal and the exhaust stubs painted in Model Masters Jet Exhaust.

The model took me four days start to finish and most errors are totally deliberate. Here's the painting guide from the Sword kit showing the correct scheme. My philosophy is if it's wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I hope you enjoyed the SAAF Field Stone Tomahawk and reading a little more over-looked history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 02:19:04 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:49:16 AM »
Ohhh great job Brian,I particularly like that camo scheme
Alex

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 04:03:15 AM »
I would love to see the reactions that model and story would get at a UK show!  ;D ;D Great job Brian!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 04:10:27 AM »
Nice job there, BdB! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »
 :)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:50:26 AM »
Beautiful work and backstory; I quite enjoyed both.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 06:11:58 PM »
Perfect model! :)
Even without spats, you Hawk-lover made a great thing there...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »
You are on a roll Brian. Keep up the awesome work.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 05:43:21 AM »
As usual a totally brilliant bird and tale. Maybe you should write for those old 'Commando' books I read as a kid, some of them were less realistic than anything
you have written, and you could use the kites in the pictures.
Keep on imagining BdB, soooooooooperb!    8)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 07:14:48 AM »
Maybe you should write for those old 'Commando' books I read as a kid, some of them were less realistic than anything
I still see new ones in local bookshops. Perhaps a new career path? A subline maybe...Commando presents: SPAT SQUAD?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 08:42:48 AM »
Commando is alive and well, and still being regularly translated to Finnish, even.

The usual WW2 with a side serving of WW1 is still mostly just as bonkers as it always was (there are exceptions, usually in the occasional Eastern Front stories - eg. a story about a Soviet infantryman who grows from a coward into a semi-reluctant hero while learning the virtues of duty, which that ends about five seconds before a surprise unhappy ending. Surprise because of the tradition and that the story has played all the tropes 130% straight until that). Though the predictability is part of the charm - going in, you know exactly what you're going to find: a good old-fashioned morality ending in a PSA lesson, complete with Our Hero, Trusty Sidekick, Sneaky Competitor, Haughty Superior, Evil German, and Good German. And Il-2's being used as fighters; Tigers and Panthers never breaking down spontaneously; French Resistance being unified in their purpose and chain of command; the most hardcore Nazis always being Count von Something; Pacific Theatre being fought in the air, land, and sea almost exclusively by the Commonwealth; Finland not existing beyond original stories written for the Finnish market (which are jarringly trying to be at least semi-believable if not even semi-realistic); and Nazis not only having "regular" Wunderwaffen up the wazoo but also possessing death rays, moon bases, time machines, and shapeshifting aliens on their side.

Their supposed diversification into Korea and Vietnam is not quite as ahistorical, though it is still enough to drive "serious" history buffs (the equivalent of JMN's) into a catatonic state. Curiously enough, in the Korean era stories I've read the OPFOR hardly ever even shows up. In Vietnam stories, a disproportionate amount of pages are dedicated to Australians (cf. the Pacific theatre of WW2 stories). But at least the opposition is shown, and surprisingly the stock characters are again in use and there's usually a Good VC (idealistic but generally well-meaning even though a Red, basically just wants his country free of all foreigners and is especially suspicious towards China as they will most certainly invade in 1979) and Bad VC (more ruthless than your average SS-Sturmbannführer but cackles just as maniacally, puts the sternest Red Army political officer to shame).

Also, thanks to Commando, I have not fully forgotten how to speak German yet. Though I have a fleeting doubt that swearing, military commands, and SS ranks might not get you very far in small talk.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:44:26 AM by Kelmola »

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
Love it Brian - keep bringing the awesome!!!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »
Admittedly I am not well read on South Africa WW2 and aviation history.  Excellent research.  Heck of a story, had no idea.
Whether it worked or not; does look good in that two blues and brown scheme. :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:21 AM »
very unique colors! Thanks for the insight on the kit too.
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher