Author Topic: Bear Professional Painters Masking Tape = Tamiya Tape?  (Read 3218 times)

Bear Professional Painters Masking Tape = Tamiya Tape?
« on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Came across this stuff at Bunnings yesterday:

I've had a quick look and for all intents it seems the same as Tamya tape; same feel, tack, paper etc. I bought this roll (36mm x 50m) and a second (24mm x 50m) for $10 to $15 each, so I figure it's abit cheaper than the Tamiya stuff.

Will be using it in the next month or so, will let you know how it goes.

Ciao
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Re: Bear Professional Painters Masking Tape = Tamiya Tape?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 06:26:46 PM »
Hello all

It's been a while now and I have given this stuff a good workout so I know what it can (and can't) do. First off, don't throw away your Tamiya tape if you use it!

Advantages / What it can do
  • Dead cheap. So that helps.
  • Low tack. Tried it over paint applied by brush and airbrushed on unprepped, washed bare plastic, and washed / prepped / primed painted surfaces in acrylic (Gunze & Tamiya) and enamel (MM and Humbrol) and no lift off at all. Left it on for 3 days after spraying, no lift off at all, no residue.
  • Clean edge. Applied, added a slight hit of Future / Paast and then sprayed over it, left a nice clean edge with no bleed through.
  • No bleed through. Sprayed and brush painted to 'Moses flood level', no bleed through the tape at all
  • Flats and gentle contours adheres well. Stays put on flat and mildly undulating (wings, fuselage, bodywork) plastic.

Disadvantages / What it can't do
  • Tight curves. Lifts badly if left to its own devices on very curved sufraces (jet intakes, wheel edges, missile bodies
  • Can be a bugger to cut. Caught me out this one, but it can be a bit tricky to get through with scissors. No issues with a knife.

How I am going to use it
Works best when I use Tamiya or a similar proprietary tape to define the edges, then use this one the fill in the gaps between the Tamiya tape boundaries. A quick run over with Future or Paast on the tape helps it adhere well to the Tamiya and gets no lifting. It has replaced my usual 'bulk filler' mask (post it notes, Tamiya tape or thelike) and replaced any masking at all on flat surfaces.

Hope this is helpful,

Ciao
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:24:06 AM »
good run down. Thanks

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:23:10 AM »
Much appreciate this! For some odd reason we go through periodic droughts of Tamiya tape here so it's great to learn about alternatives!

By the way, regular masking tape is a horrid replacement, at least in 1/72 scale. Please don't ask me how I know...

Brian da Basher