Author Topic: 'Super Boomer' - CAC CA-14 Wallaby  (Read 29754 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 'Super Boomer' - CAC CA-14 Wallaby
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »
Hmm!? apophenia, any chance of a naval version with a V-frame hook in the fuselage? ???

Ideas & plans are forming! ;)

Now, I just need to get my hands on an Eduard 1/48th Fw190A-8/R-2 & a Special Hobby 1/48 CAC 13 Boomerang.

... and add them to the stash & put this on the To Do List for the next few years ... :icon_crap:

Anyone know the quality of the ARII/Microace Fw190A-8, as a sub for the Eduard kit?
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
Many thanks folks!  Old Wombat: what sort of scheme did you have in mind for this nautical Wallaby ?

'Super Boomer' - The Commonwealth Aircraft CA-14 Wallaby - Part 7

A further attempt was made to improve rearward vision with the Wallaby Mk.VI. The scalloped rear windows inherited from the Boomerang were replaced with a more fully-glazed panel behind the cockpit. This new rear glazing matched with the 'clear view' sliding canopy somewhat improved the pilot's view to the rear.

Other than its rear fuselage decking, the Wallaby Mk. VI was much like the Mk.V.

[Top] Wallaby A56-063 was a company trials Mk.IV converted as the prototype Mk.VI. But A56-063 was not finished to final  Mk.VI standards. This aircraft retained its original framed sliding hood and its 'extra', curved rear perspex panels were not adopted for the production Mk.VI.

The Wallaby Mk.X introduced a cut-down rear fuselage decking with clear-vision panels behind the sliding hood. This inovation was dubbed the 'Jap Cap' for its resemblance to the Zero fighter's canopy. This arrangement finally satisfied RAAF pilots' demands for superior Wallaby rear vision.

The Wallaby Mk.XA reverted to outboard Browning machine guns to allow for the added weight of ordnance carried on the wing racks (US B7 bomb shackles). The Wallaby Mk.XA was employed as a replacement for Boomerang fighter-bombers or, as below, in the fighter-recce role.

[Bottom] LB+K of No.84 Squadron flown by Flt Lt WRC Mcculloch from Higgins Field on Horn Island  off the northernmost tip of Queensland's Cape York Peninsula. Most of No.84's aircraft were Wallaby Mk.Xs but 'K' was one of a handful of recce Mk.XAs used to drop aircraft flare bombs.

[To be continued]
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
'Super Boomer' - The Commonwealth Aircraft CA-14 Wallaby - Part 8

With its cut-down rear fuselage, the Wallaby Mk.X had addressed RAAF complaints about visibility to the rear. But Commonwealth's ultimate answer to rearward vision was the sliding bubble canopy of the Wallaby F.Mk.XI. Other than changes to the upper decking to accommodate the new canopy, the Wallaby Mk.XI was essentially similar to the Mk.X.

[Top] Most of the Wallaby F.Mk.XIs were delivered after the end of hostilities. This example went to No.1 Air Performance Unit at Laverton, Victoria for test purposes. Shown here sprayed in the immediate postwar RAAF scheme of all-over silver with 'centreless' roundels.

A56-338 has had its lower undercarriage covers removed for wet field trials while carrying 1,000 lb bombs from its centreline bomb rack. This aircraft was later tested with Rheinmetall-Borsig MK 103 cannons in underwing pods.

The Wallaby Mk.XI was actually preceeded into service by the interim Mk.XII. The latter were production-line conversions of partially completed Wallaby Mk.Xs. Wallaby Mk.XIIAs were four cannon fighters, Wallaby Mk.XIIBs were tactical reconnaissance aircraft with outboard AC-20s replaced by 0.50" Brownings to save weight.

[Bottom] This near-new Wallaby Mk.XIIB had joined No.76 Squadron's Wallaby Mk.Xs on Goodenough Island north of New Guinea just prior to Japan's surrender. A56-307 has lost its cowl guns -- presumably a local field modification aimed at further weight reduction.

A56-307 wears the standard late-war RAAF scheme of all-over Foliage Green with factory-applied white recognition markings. Squadrons in the field often extended the reco markings to wing tips and entire cowlings.

[To be continued ... sort of]
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 03:50:21 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
Old Wombat: what sort of scheme did you have in mind for this nautical Wallaby ?

No idea, mate, I was just going to make it up as I went along but I suppose a late-war RN BPF scheme with the white recognition markings as per the RAAF versions might be appropriate.

Oh, & a straight-arm hook might be more logical than the V(or A)-frame.

:)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 03:05:24 AM »
Old Wombat: Late-war BPF with Aussie reco markings sounds good. Not so sure about the stinger arrestor hook, though.

RN aircraft were still mostly using A-frames until war's end -- eg: Barracuda, Firefly, Sea Hornet, etc. Even the early-production Seafire XVs had A-frame arrestor hooks.

Also, A-frame hooks were attached to the bottom longerons. Makes for pretty simple 'navalization' of an airframe with a steel-tube fuselage frame.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 03:07:56 AM »
'Super Boomer' - Part 9 - The Commonwealth Aircraft CA-19 Wirga trainer

The Commonwealth CA-19 combined features of the CA-14A and the Wirraway trainer (which the CA-19 was intended to replace). In design, the CA-19 followed the concept of the Wallaby -- adapting the Fw 190 wing and main undercarriage to the trainer's welded steel tube fuselage structure.

The projected powerplant for the CA-19 was CAC's R-1000, a fan-cooled 7-cylinder radial (which was, essentially, the 'font half' of the CAC R-2000. Thanks to its higher compression ratio,* the R-1000 was expected to deliver 650 hp on 87 octane fuel (versus 600 hp for the Wirrway's R-1340 S3H1-G). For CA-19 armaments trainers, it was proposed that the CA-14A's armoured cowling ring be retained.**

In one structural detail, the CA-19 differed from both the Wirraway series and the Wallaby. The steel-tube fuselage structure was to be covered in light alloy rather than fabric (as was the Wirraway) or plywood (as per the Wallaby). Thus, the CA-19 fuselage had more in common with the US-built AT-6 Texan than with its Australian predecessors. The CA-19 empennage was unique to the type -- although obviously based upon the CA-14A tailplane.

In the initial CA-19 concept, both front and rear cockpit canopies were similar to that of the sliding hoods of the Wallaby Mk.X. After much debate, it was decided that the CA-19 would feature a framed canopy based on that of the Wirrway. The CA-19's windscreen was also based on that of the Wirraway, albeit, reshaped to suit a revised forward upper decking design.

The CA-19 dispensed with the Wirraway's synchronized forward-firing guns. In their place, the CA-19 would retain the outboard wing gun positions of the CA-14A. It was envisioned that basic trainer versions would have one (or two) 0.303" Browning guns. Armaments trainers would have two 0.50" Brownings (with optional wing racks) or twin AC-20 cannons.

CAC dubbed the CA-19 project the 'Nulla-nulla' (the Dharuk Aboriginal word for a Fighting Stick) and proposed that the RAAF adopt that name. AFHQ in Canberra disapproved this hyphenated name. In its place was substituted Wirga, a small nulla-nulla in the Wargamay language. Thus the CA-19 was ordered into production for the RAAF as the Wirga T.Mk.I. Unfortunately for CAC, this RAAF order was cancelled in late August 1945 -- before the prototype Wirga had even flown.

[To be continued]

* R-1000 compression ratio was from 6.5:1 to 6.75:1. The Wirrway's R-1340 S3H1-G was 6:1.

** Presumably, the armoured cowling ring was to allow for the possibility of the CA-19 being pressed into emergency combat service as had happened to the CA-2 Wirraway.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 03:11:28 AM »
'Super Boomer' - Part 10 - The Commonwealth Aircraft CA-19 Wirga trainer

CAC 's prototype CA-19 Wirga T.Mk.I first flew in late Jan 1946. Compared with the CA-14A Wallaby fighter, the CA-19 had a longer span wing. The CA-14A's wing panels had joined on the centre line. But the CA-19 featured a new centre section to which the outer wing panels were joined. This gave the Wirga a wing span of 36 ft 1 in versus 34 ft 5 in for the Wallaby.

Following the pattern of the Wallaby, the Wirga was assigned 'recycled' RAAF serials. The A69 sequence up to -150 had been for the Curtiss A-25 Shrike but these orders were cancelled. Thus, the serial sequence for the CA-19 Wirga trainers began with A69-151.

A69-151 flew with a hand-built prototype CAC R-1000 7-cylinder radial. The CA-19 flew much as expected but, as previously recounted, the RAAF had already cancelled its orders for the Wirga T.Mk.I series. As a result, A69-151 was re-engined with a CAC-built Pratt & Whitney R-1340 S3H1-G Wasp 9-cylinder radial to become the prototype CA-19 Wirga T.Mk.II. Using stockpiled stocks of these Wirrway engines, Wirga T.Mk.I components already begun at Fisherman's Bend were completed as Wirga T.Mk.II armaments trainers -- T.Mk.IIAs with 0.50" guns, T.Mk.IIBs with wing racks, and T.Mk.IICs with AC-20 cannons.

In the postwar environment, surplus AT-6 Texan components were available very cheaply. To take advantage of this windfall, Canberra ordered stocks of 600 hp P&W R-1340-AN1 (S1H1) Wasp radials from the US along with AT-6 engine bearers, cowlings, and two-blade Hamilton Standard propellers. These ex-USAAF components were incorporated into the next Wirga variant, the T.Mk.IIIA. All of these aircraft were gunnery trainers fitted with twin AC-20 cannons in their wings.

CAC had made several attempts to develop an improved canopy for the Wirga. Late model T.Mk.IIs and the T.Mk.III featured Wirraway-style canopies with reduced framing. But none of CAC's 'bubble' canopies had been acceptable to the RAAF -- mostly because of projected costs. In 1949, a new option became available -- adapting the canopy from North American's new T-28 Trojan trainer to the cockpit of the CA-19 Wirga. This concept was acceptable to the RAAF and CAC began delivering Wirga T.Mk.IVs fitted with North American-supplied canopies in 1951.

The final model of Wirga was the T.Mk.V, basically T.Mk.IIIs remanufactured to T.Mk.IV standard. As these aircraft entered RAAF service, they displaced earlier model Wirgas which, in turn, eclipsed the Wirraway in the target-towing role. Beginning in 1955, the more economical CAC CA-25 Winjeel began replacing the CA-19s. The Wirga T.Mk.IVs and T.Mk.Vs continued on as armaments trainers until 1959.

[Fin]

Offline apophenia

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2014, 08:48:27 AM »
Blame this on Old Wombat ...

'Super Boomer' - Part 11 - Royal Australian Navy Air Wing in WWII

The air wing of the Royal Australian Navy was re-formed in late 1943 to operate shipboard aircraft -- both catapult observation types and potential carrier operation. Numbering of naval aircraft was addressed by adding the RAN's old ANA (Australian Naval Aeroplane) prefix on to RAAF serials.

The RAAF was responsible for basic training but RAN performed both carrier deck and catapult training using ex-RAAF Avro Cadets. Two 643 Cadets (ANA6-6 and ANA6-9) were fitted with floats for catapult training. Another pair of Cadets (ANA6-13 and ANA6-14)* were equipped with arrestor gear for simulated deck landings.

Prior to the establishment of RAN training, the Navy had taken over operation of the RAAF's Fleet Cooperation Unit, No.9 Squadron. With crews comprised of seconded RAAF personnel, No.9 Sqn operated  Supermarine Seagulls as catapult aircraft aboard surviving RAN light cruisers, HMAS Australia and (when she returned to service in 1945) HMAS Hobart. RAN Seagulls also flew land-based coastal patrols on behalf of the RAAF.

The first RAN fighter aircraft were Brewster Buffalos courtesy of the US Army Air Force. The Buffalos were ex-RAAF aircraft returned to the USAAF at Eagle Farm, QLD. The initial plan was to fit the Buffalos With arrestor hooks to act as occupational conversion trainers. But these aircraft were land-based Brewster 339Ds and naval gear for Buffalos proved difficult to find by the summer of 1943. Instead, the 'land lubber' Buffalos were assigned to what became the RAN's Fighter Opponent Training (FOT) unit.

The Navy's FOT unit was formed at Eagle Farm Airfield at Meeandah (just outside of Brisbane), sharing the field with the US Army Air Force. Inevitably, the RAN Buffalos became the main sparring partner for local USAAF fighters -- with the portly 'Billy'** simulating Japanese opponents. The FOT later developed into detachments stationed at various RAN airfields (Eagle Farm becoming FOT Det 4).

By the middle of 1944, few of the surviving RAN Buffalos could be made airworthy. In Sept 1944, the RAN began receiving ex-RAAF Boomerang Mk.Is to replace the 'Billy' fighter-trainer. The RAN's first combat fighter was the navalized CA-14A Wallaby. The first were converted Wallaby Mk.VIs with arrestor gear and catapult spools added.

[To be continued]

* ANA6-13 was written off in a simulated deck landing accident. Another RAAF Cadet (A6-33) was then 'hooked' as replacement, ANA6-33.

** With its obvious allusion to a warm brew, a teapot reference was probably inevitable. Former RAAF Buffalos in RAN service were A51-3, '7, '9-to-'16, and A51-16 (A51-1, '8 and '17 had all been reduced to spares to support the RAN Buffalo fleet).

NB: RAN Buffalo sideview was modified from an RAAF Buffalo profile by Pierre-Andre Tilley.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
'Super Boomer' - Part 12 - CA-14 Wallaby Fighters for the RAN

Navalization of Wallaby fighters was a production line modification performed before delivery at the Commonwealth Aircraft Company's Fisherman's Bend plant.

'Bounce' was a navalized Wallaby Mk.XA* of the Royal Australian Navy. This aircraft belonged to the RAN's Fighter Opponent Training unit. By 1945, FOT Det 4 was offically assigned to train American pilots of the US Seventh Fleet, so 'Bounce' had been repainted in a standard, late-war US Navy fighter scheme.

Features to accommodate operations with the USN included the use of an AN/ARC-5 radio 'command set' and Bell & Howell 16mm gun camera (replacing the outboard armament). Due to the USN connection, RAN roundels were used with added US-style 'bars' and standard RAN white recognition markings. A light insignia grey '44' on the nose shows that 'Bounce' was FOT Det 4's fourth aircraft. A local distinction was sky blue trim on the tail intended to change the rudder's outline to resemble that of the Japanese Zero fighter.**

* As FOT aircraft, Wallaby Mk.XAs were armed only with cowl-mounted 0.50" Browning guns for self-defence. The Wallaby wing-root gun positions were blanked off. Most FOT aircraft had their outer starboard gun ports blocked off as well (although some carried a 16mm gun camera in each wing).

** Earlier, a captured Zero had been test flown from Eagle Farm against USAAF fighters. An airworthy Ki.43 was also assembled there from the remains of three captured examples.

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 01:38:03 PM »
Inspiring.
Just wonderful vision on that, I agree with Logan.. it really does look more right than it should
Time until somebody builds one.. 10...9...8...
Les.. are you out there ?

hmmm....   I appear to have missed this when it happened - but I'm across it now..  and I like it.  ( Shout louder next time Brian )  the Wallaby was in actuality the name given to a feeder liner proposal ( For which I have the great privilege of possessing an original brochure with GA drawings n'all - when I'm home I'll dig it out for academic interest - meanwhile http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/CAC%20Wallaby.htm  gives you an idea ) but the concept presented here predates that and I think I prefer this single engined fighter concept to be a "Wallaby" rather than the twin engined regional airliner.

Nevertheless, excellent background story there and I think I have enough raw materials to have a go at something like this in 1/32..  like I need an excuse !!  ;)

Nicely done Apophenia.. nicely done !  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:00:36 PM by uncle les »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »
I feel exceptionally honoured to be blamed for this! 8)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 03:17:11 AM »
Wow!!!  I love those last two.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline uncle les

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 08:32:49 PM »
Ooh look what appeared after reading this thread !
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4856.0

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
I'm rather behind on seeing all this...wow, Apophenia, WOW!!! Bravo! A fantastic history and some stunning profile work.

I have previously-built Harvards and 190s going spare...those Wirgas are looking very attractive...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline apophenia

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 04:20:54 AM »
Many thanks 'Zac! I'd love to see the Wirga in polystyrene ... especially the T.Mk.IV  :)

Offline uncle les

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 08:19:01 AM »
I see the links on my pics broke so I reloaded using pics from my own website.  More here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4856.15

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 05:20:48 AM »
Top job Les! What a looker!

Apo - what donor airframes and bits do you suggest for building a Wirga T.Mk.IV in 1/72?
Zac in NZ

Offline apophenia

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »

'Zac: For the Wirga T.Mk.IV, you'd need a Harvard/Texan for the fuselage + empennage + cowl/prop, a Fw 190 for the wings + main undercarriage, and a Trojan/Fennec for the cockpit framing/canopy.

Were I bold enough to try it, I think I'd try to blend the Fw 190's lower fuselage into the Harvard upper. More PSR maybe but less fuss than building up the wing fillets, I'd guess.

An alternative to a Trojan/Fennec kit would be the vacuform canopy (72003) from Rob-Taurus  http://www.rob-taurus.cz/

Looking forward to seeing the Wirga built!  :)

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2016, 02:49:49 PM »
Well, as it happens I have examples of each of those three already built to use as spares sources. I'll keep you posted!
Zac in NZ

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2016, 03:09:40 PM »
My Fw-190 & my Boomerang are waiting to be bashed together into a Sea Wallaby, with the assistance of a Sea Hurricane, whose hook arrangement I'm going to copy for the build.

I will get to it - I promise! ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
Good news 'Zac. Looking forward to both of these builds  :D

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2016, 06:04:46 AM »
 8) 8)
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »
I *will* do a separate WIP thread, but I just wanted to say that I actually have three each Harvard and 190...

Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 05:30:40 AM »
The thread for my Wirga triplets project can be found here. Thanks for the inspiration and extra info, Apo!
Zac in NZ