Author Topic: 1/72 Fokker D.XXIV, Netherlands Army Aviation (LVA) 1941  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
  • the modeler formerly known as Nils.
1/72 Fokker D.XXIV, Netherlands Army Aviation (LVA) 1941
« on: March 14, 2021, 05:19:13 AM »
right now, ive started on an interesting project, ive gotten the idea after seeing a screenshot of a Fw190A in Dutch markings and Fokker D.21 camoflage. and it gave me the inspiration to build one in modelform.

so i dived into the stash and found a Revell 1/72 Fw190A, i sourced some decals from a FlevoDecals and an Esci sheet and got things ready to start. unfortunatly i dont have the right paints yet for the camoflage, but those are on order.

im also thinking of making the Fw190A licence produced by Fokker in The Netherlands, under the local designation D.24 (or D.XXIV). in dutch service is was nicknamed "De grote boze Wulf" (the big bad Wulf) by its pilots.

here's a rough sketch of what im planning to build.

i have started on the sub assemblies and painted a first layer on a number of parts.
ive decided to paint the inside in a different shade of green, similar to the D.21.

in the back history im looking at, im thinking the original lpan was to fit it with the same Bristol mercury engine as the D.21, but early in the design stage it was seen as underpowered. so instead it would be equiped with a Gnome-Rhone 14K or a BMW801 radial engine. im thinking of going with the french Rhone engine, as this would only require minor or no modifications to the airframe.

pictures:

still working out the details in the backstory, but progress on the model is going smoothly.
the propellor and engine assembly is mostly done, just needs a small touch-up

the tailrudder has also been painted in the Dutch flag colors. not happy with the green on the inside of the cockpit, i decided to repaint it in Revell 59 Sky. looks better and more similar to the Fokker D.XXI's cockpit.

the gun barrels broke of the wings while sanding off the bulges on the engine cowling, so i drilled the holes larger and fitted new gunbarrels. but looking at the engine cowling, i feel like there is something missing.

here are some more in-progress shots:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:26:59 AM by nils »
on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:
-various 1/72 TinTin aircraft
-1/72 Eurocopter Tiger (Belgian Army)
-various other 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/72 Fokker D.XXIV, Netherlands Army Aviation (LVA) 1941
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:41:59 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 01:32:33 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 05:11:44 AM »
Cool project!  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 03:50:16 AM »
Yes. Very cool idea  So, is your notion that the Netherlands was able to remain neutral in Europe?

On engines, RW Fokker was looking at both the Bristol Taurus (real D.24/Ontwerp 192) and Hercules (D.22/Ontwerp 150). Maybe the Dutch consider the latter engine but then decided that it was too big and/or heavy for the Focke-Wulf airframe?

I like your substitute Gnome-Rhône concept - both smaller and lighter than the BMW. But go with the GR 14N (which had lessened cooling problems compared with the earlier 14K).
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:23:45 PM »
being stuck at home with the flu, i made more progress on the fokker.

i finished the main assembly and i have started masking and sprayed the first coat of paint.
usually i would start with the lightest color, but with the darkest color being the main color (especially on the bottom), i decided to start with the brown paint first.

here are some images of how it looks now:

on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 09:40:20 AM »
 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 07:23:51 PM »
Update:

i hit a snagg in the painting progress, the camouflage turned out to be a bit harder to spray then i thought.
paint started to run underneath the maskingtape while applying the second color (sand) and remasking and respraying to too much of a haslte.

so, for the duration of this build, for the final colors, im reverting back to the old school hairy sticks.
on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 08:12:44 PM »
That's a pity. :icon_crap:

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 02:13:20 AM »
Update:

i saved what i could, all in all it turned out not too bad.
i think the thick paint will thin down once the humbrol clear varnish goes on.

on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »
Good save! :smiley:

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 10:21:41 PM »
okay, im calling this one done:

Back History:

after the Spanish Civil war, it became clear to Anthony Fokker that his company's latest fighter, the Fokker D.XXI, was inferiour to the German Bf109D. in limited service of the Spanish republican forces, they were shot down in numbers. in March 1938, the LVA wanted to equip its forces with a new fighter that would be on par with the German Messerschmitt and british Spitfire fighters. as a stop-gap, they ordered 36 Fokker D.XXI's.

looking at its competitor, the Koolhoven FK.58, it was clear to Fokker that its rival had an aerodynamic edge over the sturdy and lumpy D.21. the design team at Fokker started work on the new fighter immediatly, wich was to the company's first all metal fighter. the company was already working on the D.23, a twin engine heavy fighter, but that design was facing many problems, largly cololing problems and issues with the underpowered engines.

using the D.21 as a starting point, it was clear that a retractable undercarraige was a must, the wing was made longer and had a 3° forward angle to improve lift and roll rate. it was clear that the increase in weight meant that the Bristol mercury VIII engine did not provide enough power, and it was envisioned to be powered by a Rolls Royce Merlin engine. but an embargo on that type of engine meant they had to look for an alternative. the Bristol Taurus engine had various problems and the American Pratt & Whitney Wasp engine was in short supply. eventually, they went with a French Gnome-Rhone 14K radial engine, wich was seemed as the best alternative.

in terms of armament, it was first envisaged that this would be 4 .303 machine guns, same as the Fokker D.21. but Fokker wanted the aircraft to be a heavy hitter and have more firepower then the D.21, so it was fitted with 2 synchronised FN Browning .303 machine guns in front of the pilot, and 2 FN Browning 13.2mm heavy machine guns, with an extended barrel, in the wingroot. later variants would be equiped with a pair of 20mm canons in pods below the wings. on a later version, bombs could be fitted under the centerline.

supply problems meant that the first aircraft, now designated Fokker D.XXIV, was not ready for its first flight until december 1939. when it took off, its test pilot, Joost Meers, praised the aircraft's superiour handling and performance. after a 20 minute testflight, he noted that there were no problems with the aircraft and the design was sound. in terms of performance, it was equal to the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1.

the first 6 D.24's were delivered to the LVA on May 8th 1940, and during the opening days of the war, they proved to perform as advertised and they mananged to be be equal or better then the Bf109. unfortunatly, the aircraft were delivered too few and too late. after the Dutch surrender, 10 D.24's that were under construction at the Fokker factory were rolled out and set on fire to keep it out of the hands of the enemy, but 2 aircraft were captured by German troops and taken on by the Luftwaffe for evaluation. it was found the aircraft was exceptional and designer Kurt Tank took the design and used many of its features in the Focke-Wulf Fw190.

on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 12:15:01 AM »
 8) :smiley: :smiley: