Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130058 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2021, 10:35:28 AM »
The Panzer Art tires look the best. The Italeri look so far off that I'm wondering - are the halves different depending on the tire position? Are the left sides all identical (same for the right)... that's the only excuse I could come up with.

The LAV-25 looks good in black primer.

The Italeri tire halves don't have any alignment pins so you could glue them anyway you want but the instructions show to align the tire treads. The second photo shows the left tires with the tread aligned and the right tire shows the tread misaligned. If you don't align the tire treads they look even worse.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »
Wow, that's pretty bad... I guess they just didn't care about accurate tire treads.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2021, 11:23:37 AM »
Wow, that's pretty bad... I guess they just didn't care about accurate tire treads.

Yeah, Italeri has a different view of what the actual tires are supposed to look like. The LAV tires aren't as bad as their M998/M1025 HMMWV tires though.

Italeri M998/M1025 HMMWV tire on the left and Tamiya M1025 tire on the right. The Italeri tire is not even close. In the second photo you can see the original tread tires on the lead HMMWV which Tamiya got correct. The second and third HMMWV's have the later style tires with a different tread pattern.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »
Looks menacing in the black! 8)

Regarding tyre tread patterns; it looks to me like Italeri are using old moulding tech because that's a lot like the old Tamiya, et al., tyres used to look like before they moved to vinyl or multi-part moulds.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2021, 04:29:01 PM »

Needs either white Playboy Bunnies, or gold JPS logos and stripes . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Ramba

« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2021, 10:15:25 PM »

Regarding tyre tread patterns; it looks to me like Italeri are using old moulding tech because that's a lot like the old Tamiya, et al., tyres used to look like before they moved to vinyl or multi-part moulds.

Needs either white Playboy Bunnies, or gold JPS logos and stripes . . .

cheers,
Robin.

It does look good in the black primer but mine will be in the NATO 3 color camo scheme like in this photo.

Italeri didn't include the M240 machine gun so I am using the one from the Trumpeter LAV-25 kit. I am replacing the one from the Trumpeter kit with one from Live Resin so the one from Trumpeter gets passed down to the Italeri kit. In this photo the Live resin is on top and Trumpeter is on the bottom. You can see that the Live Resin version is much nicer than the Trumpeter kit weapon but I don't have any spare Live Resin M240's to add to the Italeri kit.

Most photos I have seen show the LAV-AT with the M240 with the spade grips like in this photo.

Some LAV-AT's have the M240 with the butt stock though as shown in this photo so I am good to go with the Trumpeter kit M240 with the butt stock.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2021, 11:04:39 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2021, 04:34:22 AM »
Look at that crappy NATO paint job! If someone tried to recreate it in 1/35 scale, there would be comments about the modeller's lack of airbrush skills...

Offline Ramba

« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2021, 12:40:48 AM »
Look at that crappy NATO paint job! If someone tried to recreate it in 1/35 scale, there would be comments about the modeller's lack of airbrush skills...

It doesn't look too bad to me. I hope my camo will come out as good.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2021, 12:45:58 AM »
I got some new paint jars that actually fit my Paasche airbrush. I had a Badger airbrush before but it died on me in 2018. Badger has free service for life but I have sent it in three times already and it is always the same problem so I gave up on the Badger as I am tired of having to keep sending it in for service.

The Badger paint jar lids are at a different angle so didn't fit the Paasche airbrush that good. The Badger paint jar lid is on the right and the Paasche paint jar lid is on the left.

Here you can see the Badger paint jar lid is angled too much and the paint jar hits the air hose connector.

The new paint jar lids with the proper angled lids to fit the Paasche airbrush.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2021, 12:56:07 AM »
Nice airbrush!

On the NATO pattern, you can see that they outlined the pattern first with the color, then they airbrushed the interior. Plus there's some overspray. In some ways, it makes it a little easier to replicate in 1/35. I would use a soft edge mask to replicate the overspray and outline the edges of the pattern, maybe with a slightly darker color.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2021, 02:20:56 AM »
Nice airbrush!

On the NATO pattern, you can see that they outlined the pattern first with the color, then they airbrushed the interior. Plus there's some overspray. In some ways, it makes it a little easier to replicate in 1/35. I would use a soft edge mask to replicate the overspray and outline the edges of the pattern, maybe with a slightly darker color.

Thanks! It is a single action Paasche H series suction feed. It is basically the same as the Badger 200 that I had. I tried dual action and hated it so I got another single action.

I painted this Tamiya M1025 back in 2018 and during the paint session is when the Badger airbrush died. I just finished it last year. I used Silly Putty to mask the edges for the different colors.

I then applied a gloss coat then did a little weathering.

After the weathering I sprayed a flat coat from a distance to give it that dusty look. You can see that grayish, dusty look on the real HMMWV in the second photo.

Here it is finished. I used the Blast Models ASK kit and weapons ring sets. The stowage on the rear was given to me in a trade and I think it is also from a different Blast Models set.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2021, 11:32:15 AM »
Very nice! 8)

Weathering is almost perfect & the gear on the back is excellent! :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2021, 09:48:48 PM »
Very nice! 8)

Weathering is almost perfect & the gear on the back is excellent! :smiley:

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2021, 10:03:27 PM »
I am working on a second Tamiya M1025 HMMWV. This time I am converting it to an M1043 used by the USMC in Iraq, 2004. I am scratch building the tea cup turret and half moon doors from plastic card.

A few examples of the doors and turret that I will be building.

Here are the doors cut from plastic card. The other doors are the Tamiya M1046 armored doors. The M1043 also used the armored doors but I wanted something different so I went with the half moon doors. Those armored doors will be going on a different Tamiya M1025 also being converted to another USMC M1043.

I added some bolts from an Academy M1A2 that someone gave me as a parts kit so I cut the bolts off the Academy M1A2 and used them on the half moon doors.

I used staples for the door handles. The door on the left is from the Italeri M998 IED. The M998 IED HMMWV used the same half moon doors. Mine are close enough.

Here is the tea cup turret. I cut it to shape then heated it in hot water then placed in an old Model Master paint jar to curve it to shape.

Here it is dry fitted to the weapons ring.

Here are the scratch built half moon doors and tea cup turret dry fitted to a different Tamiya M1025 to check the fit. The tea cup turret is a bit too high so needs cutting down to the proper height.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2021, 01:43:13 AM »
Looks good. I was going to suggest the Academy M998 doors, but yours are clearly better. I think that kit also has the extended exhaust.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2021, 02:03:23 AM »
Looks good. I was going to suggest the Academy M998 doors, but yours are clearly better. I think that kit also has the extended exhaust.

Thanks! I actually traded for an Academy M998 IED HMMWV but the guy I traded with never sent me the Academy kit. It's been over 3 years now so I gave up on ever getting it. I bought the Italeri kit instead and the Italeri kit isn't that bad but the Academy kit would have been better. The Tamiya M1025 comes with the extended exhaust too for the USMC version.

The Italeri kit only comes with the two front doors and if I used those on the Tamiya kit then the Italeri kit would be left without any doors. I would still have had to scratch build the two rear doors anyway so I just scratch built all 4 doors. The Italeri doors actually fit the Tamiya M1025 really well as shown here dry fitted to my Tamiya M1025.

Here is my Tamiya M1025 converted to the M1043. This is where I am so far. I have gotten very little done since these photos were taken. The armament base mount and front gun shield are from Blast Models. The machine gun pintle mount and ammo can are from Live Resin and I will be adding the Live Resin M240. The spare tire is from the Def Models HMMWV tire set. I made the strap from tape. It will have a latch on it but not shown yet. The spare water/fuel cans/rack is resin from Blast Models. You can see some paint needs touching up. I started this back in 2018 but then my airbrush died. I have gotten a new airbrush but will just heavily weather those bare spots.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:07:41 AM by Ramba »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2021, 06:39:30 AM »
I am really liking the work on the HMMWV. The scratch doors are very nice and a great solution for the curved armour plate as well.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2021, 08:08:47 AM »
Are you going to scratch the strap latch or use a PE item? I have a Bronco HMMWV that has been in limbo even longer than yours...

Offline Ramba

« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2021, 09:02:04 AM »
I am really liking the work on the HMMWV. The scratch doors are very nice and a great solution for the curved armour plate as well.

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2021, 09:14:52 AM »
Are you going to scratch the strap latch or use a PE item? I have a Bronco HMMWV that has been in limbo even longer than yours...

I have a Tetra Model Works PE Ratchet set. It comes with straps too. I didn't use any from this set though. I actually had a resin piece with the ratchet/latch molded on. I cut the ratchet off and glued it onto the tape I used for the spare tire.

Here is the resin ratchet I used. It is hard to see because it is only primed right now. They come in all different colors including black so I might just leave it in the black primer.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2021, 03:12:52 PM »
Some brilliant bodge-work there by the USMC & your copy of it is excellent, Ramba! 8)

Turning into a quite decent series of HMMWV variants! :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2021, 09:49:06 AM »
Yep! I love your simple solution to curving the gun ring shield  :smiley:

On your reference photos, I notice that each door attachment bolt get a shot of black (dark green?) camo paint. Any idea what the lighter-coloured panel shown on the driver's door is?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2021, 10:38:51 AM »
Some brilliant bodge-work there by the USMC & your copy of it is excellent, Ramba! 8)

Turning into a quite decent series of HMMWV variants! :smiley:

Thanks! I like modeling USMC subjects. To me, they have some of the more interesting subjects that set them apart.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »
Yep! I love your simple solution to curving the gun ring shield  :smiley:

On your reference photos, I notice that each door attachment bolt get a shot of black (dark green?) camo paint. Any idea what the lighter-coloured panel shown on the driver's door is?

Thanks!

I think the panel is some kind of make shift armor plate. You can see in the photo below that this HMMWV also have the panels strapped to the doors.

I am also not sure why the bolts have the black paint around them but not all HMMWV's with the half moon doors have the black painted around them. Here is an example with the half moon doors but no black paint around the bolts.