Modelling > Post Apocalyptic GB

Post-Apo VL Nomads

<< < (2/3) > >>

Gingie:
Did you used to write for CASR?

I like your style and it reminds of that page.

apophenia:
Nailed! Thanks Graeme (Logan twigged to that connection as well)  ;D

Cascadian Camo Camper

This former shuttle bus, like most Cascadian vehicles after 'The Great Fall', runs on syngas derived from wood gasification. Compressing that wood gas is the only practical route for vehicle conversions. Here we see twin backup containers - former 100 lb propane bottles - mounted on the rear of the vehicle. The main fuel tanks are strapped up under the vehicle. [1] When needed, braided fuel hoses would be connected to the backup bottles on the rear rack.

To better suit Cascadian backroads, this camper has been fitted with 35-inch offroad tires. To clear those big tires and provide additional ground-clearance, an old lift-kit by Ujoint Offroad intended for 4x4 conversions has been fitted. [2] Lightweight Aluminess cargo carriers and spotlight racks have been fitted. A camper 'pop top' roof has also been added - offering both a look-out vantage point along with a well-ventilated sleeping space.

The shuttle bus body (and the roof of the 'pop top') have been covered with a vinyl wrap displaying a typical Cascadian forest scene at ground level. Additional camouflage is supplied by a similarly-printed roll-up side awning and camouflage netting rolls, front and aft. When parked, this camo nets drap down. At the rear, the netting camouflages both the backup bottles and stowage bins. Up front, the netting flaps rearward to cover the light rack while most unfurls forward over the mirror framework to help break up the outline of the van's nose. For longer stays, spare netting would also be draped over the tires and bunched up in the wheel wells.

A single photo-voltaic panel is mounted on the forward roof - power generated from direct sunlight having somewhat marginal potential in the PNW temperate rainforest. Portable PV panels can be set to provide extra power on those rare occasions of full Cascadian sunshine. A Renogy Ultra-Battery battery bank - which combines a lithium-ion battery and a supercapacitor within the same cell - provide onboard 6v electrical power. Beyond personal device charging, low-draw LED interior lights are the main users of stored electrical power. There is no electric heating or cooktop in this camper.

The interior of the rig is spartan, sleeping two comfortably but can accommodate up to six. Interior heat is provided by a Cubic CB-1008 Mini Cub stove/wood burner. Galley cooking can also be done with a small syngas burner. However, most cooking is done outdoors with a compact, portable wood stove set up under a fire-resistant awning. 'Ready rounds' of kindling and fire wood are carried in the rear stowage bins. 'Greener' firewood is stacked alongside the backup syngas tanks for 'forced-air' drying while underway (a section of recycled aluminum roofing protecting it from precipitation).

[1] Also under-mounted are fresh- and grey-water tanks. The former are pre-filtered with mesh screens and biochar (replacement filters for the original Berkey water system having long been unavailable).

[2] An unmodified E-series van will accommodate 30- to 31-inch tires without a lift kit. A 6-inch lift kit is needed to squeeze 35-inch offroad tires under the shuttle bus.

Buzzbomb:
Well, I don't think you need a Post Apoc scenario. Put these together on sale today and they may probably sell well.

Gingie:
Lots of wealthy "overlanders" out there with deep pockets! 4x4 SAS conversion for the E series vans!

I liked the 6x6 conversion!

apophenia:
Yup. There's even a move towards RV conversions of surplus Stewart & Stevenson FMTV variants. Apparently, surplus and low-mileage M1079 LMTV vans can be had for relatively low prices. Operating costs as an RV are another matter, of course, but they will go almost anywhere  :D

My favourite extreme rich-guy conversion, so far,  is an HEMMT with a rear-mounted toy-hauler converted into living quarters. The attached HEMMT image isn't that exact vehicle but gives the ideal.

We see a lot of Sprinter van conversions around that are supposed to be 'stealthy' but actually stick out like sore thumbs. I'm surprised that van-lifers haven't really twigged to the potential of vinyl wraps as camouflage (urban, back country, or whatever). Best example I've seen thus far ... a house truck wrapped as a cottage  ;D

The most bonkers thing I've seen is a mirrored school bus - one on top of another  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version