Modelling > Post Apocalyptic GB

1/35 A new Leader - Hanna DONE

<< < (2/4) > >>

ChernayaAkula:
Wow! Seriously impressive work improving the face.  :smiley: The faces seem to plague Master Box's figures at times. Wonderfully expressive on the box arts, less so in the kits. Their subject choice is always great, but if the face looks off, it kinda throws everything off. Proper sculpting makes painting convincing faces soooo much easier.
I wonder.... are there heads you could 3D print as a replacement? Does Thingiverse have something like that? Or could you - electronically - chop off the head of one of the printable figures you can download (MyMiniFactory/Loot Studios/.....)? There are some really nice sculpts out there.

Looking at the soles on the box top artwork, I reckon kit Hannah might be only about an inch taller than my sister.

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 08, 2021, 12:01:15 PM ---Great work Frank!  Hanna's cosmetic surgery has helped in reducing her resemblance to Jay Leno to something closer to Annie Lennox from the Eurythmics.  :smiley:

--- End quote ---

;D Spot on!  :smiley:

Frank3k:
Thanks for the comments.
Brian - the dark paint job is just for shadowing. I was going to paint her closer to the boxtop.

I did yet more plastic surgery today, and her face still needs more work! It's scrape, scrape, photograph... I guess I'm not being aggressive enough, especially around the Jay Leno-sized jaw. What's a little creepy for me is that the face on the boxtop artwork looks almost like a close friend of mine who died in 2002.

Moritz, I totally agree. Masterbox makes some great figures, but their molding can be sub par and some of their female faces - especially in 1/35 look like men. Look at this beauty:

The original Hanna figure was not just tall, her proportions were off. In the picture above, I trimmed some plastic off her waist and knees, trying to bring her down to 1/35 while keeping her proportions. I think the figure proportions look more like the boxtop after the surgery on the body. She's still pretty tall - just under  6'/1.83m in boots. Sadly, the kit's boots don't look like the boxtop.

I've thought of (and eventually plan to) making 3D printed 1/35 heads. They can be designed manually in a program like Blender, by basically sculpting the equivalent of digital clay, or they can be scanned - similar to the full body scans that both ReedOak and Live resin use for their figures.

Faces (and bodies) can also be designed programmatically with programs like Daz3D and MakeHuman. The Daz3D figure poses and clothing can be "distinctive" to the point of being stereotypes - like the figures in this thread for Diesel kits

Frank3k:
I'm about 3/4 of the way with the head. There's no amount of re-sculpting that can make the head look like the boxtop. Besides the extensive plastic surgery on the chin and cheeks, I also did some work on her ears and nose and extended her neck with a short length of sprue, to fit into a hole I made in the body. I also added a plastic shaving to her head to approximate the hair on the boxtop. The face still looks a bit manly, but it is what it is. I still have to fix the wonky eyes (new 1/32-1/35 Archer eye decals) and trim them to size and fix some shading issues

Here's the head on the in-progress body. It'll go a little deeper into the body when it's done. I  think the right hand is either too big or open (or both):

Overall, pretty disappointing figure.

robunos:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on September 08, 2021, 09:55:19 AM ---... yeah, I think somebody has a sex hormone problem,

--- End quote ---

Maybe Hanna was born Hanno, or Han . . .

cheers,
Robin.

kitnut617:
Might be time to pay eBay a visit and pick up a 1/35 female action figure on the cheap for a head. There seems to be quite a few on sale near your location

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version