Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

3D Printing Tips and Techniques

<< < (7/11) > >>

Frank3k:
Uncured resin down the sink isn't a great idea... just wash it in a container of water and set it outside in the Sun to cure the resin.

@LemonJello - there are some excellent tutorials for Blender on Youtube. Make sure they're recent (for version 2.8 or higher).

The Blender Foundation videos are good, up to the chapter where they introduce armatures and they don't mention how to get the test files, or load them. Truly infuriating.

arkon:
when you draw/design things  will it print them out solid or do you have to design them with thinish walls so your not printing a big chunk of plastic? or is there a progam that will take your big chunky shape and only print the outer most part?

Frank3k:
It's really up to you. If you draw/design an object and it passes all the printablilty tests, in most cases it's going to be a solid object. This can make an object expensive (if you send it to a place like Shapeways) or expensive and heavy if you print it yourself. A heavy object can cause issues during printing as well.

Most slicing programs have the option to hollow out a solid object. Depending on the object, you may need to add drain holes to allow the resin to flow out during printing.

I design my objects with a wall thickness - 0.75mm is OK for medium sized objects (but can be fragile), 1mm is a good compromise between cost and strength. Bigger objects may need slightly thicker walls.

LemonJello:
My Mars Pro 2 is set up and running a test print as I type this. 

My laptop is running Win7, Blender requires at least 8...so I'll be using my work computer and AutoCAD for my first few designs, but Chitubox and UVTools had no issues installing.

Excited to see if my test print comes out ok.

Frank3k:
Great! The latest (2.7, now 3) versions of Blender are a great improvement, especially in the interface.

Chitubox is OK, but get PrusaSlicer as well; UVTools will install the correct printer profiles as well. UVTools finds fewer issues with Prusa sliced objects vs Chitubox. Also, resin is sensitive to temperature - if it's cooler than 68F, you're going to have a lot of issues getting a good print. 70F-78F is better (at least around the printer)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version