Modelling > 1920s/1930s GB or Between the Wars GB

D.H.88 Comet Follow-Ons

<< < (12/13) > >>

ChernayaAkula:
The D.H.128 Meteorite is just lovely!  :-*

apophenia:
Thanks Moritz! I really do wonder how the Gipsy Twelve would have faired had DH offered a variant without reversed-cooling.

Such an engine would have been in the same class as the Renault 12R, Walter Sagitta I-MR, or Isotta Fraschini Gamma. None of those engines excelled as fighter powerplants. But I can imagine the imaginary conventionally-cooled Gipsy Twelves on up-powered Oxfords, for example ...

jcf:

--- Quote from: apophenia on July 30, 2021, 07:17:07 AM ---Thanks Moritz! I really do wonder how the Gipsy Twelve would have faired had DH offered a variant without reversed-cooling.

Such an engine would have been in the same class as the Renault 12R, Walter Sagitta I-MR, or Isotta Fraschini Gamma. None of those engines excelled as fighter powerplants. But I can imagine the imaginary conventionally-cooled Gipsy Twelves on up-powered Oxfords, for example ...

--- End quote ---

There was nothing in the design of the Gipsy King/XII that required reverse-flow cooling, that
was a matter of the installation design which resulted from De Havilland's desire to minimize
drag.

The main thing that worked against the engine was size and weight, larger than a Kestrel V in all
dimensions, weighed 100lbs more and produced 250+/- fewer horsepower. Truthfully the engine
had a pathetic output for its size with a power to weight ratio of a paltry 0.4 hp/lb.

apophenia:
Sound like DH would have better focusing on reducing weight rather than drag. Although I had fun using the Gipsy Twelve for my whif, none of those air-cooled IV-12s made for much of a combat engine - even the more powerful Isotta Fraschini Delta or Ranger V-770.

jcf:

--- Quote from: apophenia on July 31, 2021, 11:12:01 AM ---Sound like DH would have better focusing on reducing weight rather than drag. Although I had fun using the Gipsy Twelve for my whif, none of those air-cooled IV-12s made for much of a combat engine - even the more powerful Isotta Fraschini Delta or Ranger V-770.

--- End quote ---

Even if they had reduced the weight of the engine, you'd still want minimum drag for
the airframe design. Even if they'd had a reduced weight version, De Havilland would
have still used the same design for the nacelles of the Albatross and the cowling of the
Don.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version