Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

Don't mix lead and cyanoacrylate (Superglue)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Frank3k:
@Chris - that makes sense; some metals may react differently to CA. Zinc Most of the searches on CA + lead are from modeling groups.

Kerick:
On a couple of models I was able to “trap” lead weights by glueing sprue to box it in without glueing the lead directly. It rattles if you shake it but I don’t care about that.

jcf:
I guess it must enable the creation of lead carbonate, lead shot also reacts with PVA.

From a miniatures blog entry on 'lead rot':

"The chemical process is: Acetic and some other acids, in the presence of carbon dioxide, catalyze with lead
to produce lead acetate and lead hydroxide. Lead acetate and lead hydroxide together react with carbon dioxide
and form lead carbonate. Lead carbonate then releases acetic acid and the process becomes self-sustaining.
It is important to recognize that the formed lead carbonate is not just a substance clinging to the surface of a
casting, it is the surface of the casting transformed to powder. For practical purposes, a portion of the lead is
gone and lead carbonate is left in its place. The lead carbonate releases acetic acid which can continue the
process until the lead part is progressively consumed from the outside."

Evidently a major culprit in starting the process is wood:
"Wood exposed inside display cases with relatively stagnant atmospheres will create an acetic acid-laden
micro-environment where lead artifacts will corrode even without being in physical contact with the wood."

The Rat:
I just use white glue, after roughening the surface to provide a better grip.

Frank3k:
But aren't most white glues PVA?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version