Modelling > Sea

Submarine Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (26/31) > >>

tankmodeler:
For early in the war, I'd actually remove all the AA guns and have, perhaps, two deck guns as aircraft weren't seen as a significant mid-ocean ASW threat (and weren't until 1942-ish). Maybe reduce the size of the sail or dirty up the fittings of the ship as the early boats weren't as clean as the later boats. Maybe draw inspiration from some of the interwar Italian or British boats? Go with fewer masts and nothing that resembles a radar. Add a sawtooth mine cable cutter to the prow?

Just thoughts.

Paul

Geoff:

--- Quote from: tankmodeler on November 26, 2019, 03:03:30 AM ---For early in the war, I'd actually remove all the AA guns and have, perhaps, two deck guns as aircraft weren't seen as a significant mid-ocean ASW threat (and weren't until 1942-ish). Maybe reduce the size of the sail or dirty up the fittings of the ship as the early boats weren't as clean as the later boats. Maybe draw inspiration from some of the interwar Italian or British boats? Go with fewer masts and nothing that resembles a radar. Add a sawtooth mine cable cutter to the prow?

Just thoughts.

Paul

--- End quote ---

Yeah like that idea, and I have a book on French subs somewhere. Cheers 8)

Old Wombat:

--- Quote from: ysi_maniac on May 12, 2018, 11:58:25 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Super-Surcouf

The Big Gimper:
Nice. I actually read this book a long time ago:

jcf:
By your specifying 1941 I'm guessing your Gato model is of her as built, not after modifications with the cutdown fairwater?

As built.

Cutdown fairwater.

The Narwhal was a 1920s US cruiser sub, so perhaps a similar two deck gun layout on a Gato?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version